Tiers 1, 2 & 3 going digital (Tier reclamation/DNU) - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-04-04, 01:51 AM   #226
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

That CSR is confused as both the Vancouver and Victoria areas are getting the push right now. All those having issues now just need to hang on a little longer and they will soon be the first to have the new speeds running before they know it and before the majority of the rest of Shaw's service areas.
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-04, 03:29 AM   #227
ShawnB

see this is so confusing one rep says one date, someone on here says another, rep says a new date and someone on here says they are wrong.

who is right and why does this have to be so hard to figure out
Old 2012-04-04, 11:35 AM   #228
Zod

Probably because the phone reps are the last to know? They probably tell them when there's actually something to report (it seems there's no fixed period for how long the transition takes).

People keep bombasting the CSR's with questions the CSR's probably don't know the answers too, so they take their best guess.. lol.

It's the same when Shaw rolls out new channels. The CSR's are the last to know. We usually find out on this forum before they find out. You're basically asking the lowest people on the ladder.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:19 PM   #229
Registering
Rookie

"You either have to conform, cancel, or go elsewhere. You won't need new TVs however and one of the digital boxes will be free. "
Go where? and I know the tv will work but if you have digital programing and digital box, not switch the tv just doesn't make sense. I was ready to buy one a wile ago not realizing that they don't have the tuner in them yet (or now it seems ever).
As of today I only have channels up to 28, the rest need a box. This may not mean they are available in digital, it's just not available in analog.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:27 PM   #230
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

You don't need to replace your TV if you are happy with it now. The cable box converts the new 'digital' signals to the standard outputs for most TVs. If you don't have an HD set then you might want to get one to take advantage of the HD content but it isn't required just because Shaw is switching up to 'digital'. Don't get sucked into buying a 'digital TV' by some smooth talking salesman.

To get the full selection of Shaw channels, you need to have one of their boxes connected to your TV and no TV out there will allow you to get the Shaw digital channels without a Shaw box.

Note: to receive HD content you need both an HD capable cable box or PVR and an HD capable TV.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:18 AM   #231
ShawnB

if the reps are the last to know regarding when the DNU will take place then why can't we get access to someone how does know.
The latest a rep has now told me the DNU is now Sept/Nov when a week ago it was sometime this month, the constant changing is beyond fustrating.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:24 AM   #232
Zod

Maybe that's why they aren't telling their CSR's when the DNU's are being done. It would seem its hard to meet the deadlines or maybe its taking longer then expected. They're probably opting to saying nothing over giving out dates and not meeting them.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:04 PM   #233
Jetranger
Veteran

ShawnB; Why do you keep asking? The fact you have already had a visit from Shaw means they are working on it in your area and you should see the completion 'soon'. Give it a rest and take a breath. Posting these repeated comments here isn't going to change when it actually happens. If you got an answer that satisfied you, why would you call again?
Old 2012-04-10, 01:58 AM   #234
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

The network upgrade is a pretty big task in so much it will take over a year to complete. In some area's we have been focusing more on node splits outside of DNU due to increase of demand of our services. Sometimes this can take precedence over a pre-planned DNU schedule upgrade. The schedule is quite tangible.

The number one goal for us is customer satisfaction and sometimes in some area's a push back of DNU is required to deliver on that satisfaction.
We won't advertise an area is DNU complete until the whole of that area is done even if a few neighbourhoods or sub communities have been done.

There is no future forward list that we can give out or that agents have access to. That information (such as timetable, letters etc) could be quite valuable to our competitors for many reasons hence the controlled process that DNU is. When an area is done and the Shaw guys get the ok to say so we will publicly post here for the community.

Customers will be notified in advance. That is the sign when you get that notice it will happen and work will start soon. It will happen for everyone and the outcome benefits will be massive. I can understand the benefits are compelling for a lot of you (myself included) and thus the frustration comes from not knowing where and when. Rogers for example in their service area are reclaiming Tier 3 only where we are going for all 3 Tiers which is a significant, but logical undertaking for us in being future prepared. We are making this investment to provide better service and features on products. Honestly, patience is best at the moment.

If anyone has questions when they get notice or what happens when they do just let us know here and we will be happy to help out
Old 2012-04-10, 10:11 AM   #235
ShawnB

Well Jetranger i keep asking because i never get a straight answer. The Tech that came to my house shaw denies was there for the upgrade so i don't even know if it's going ahead in my area. I keep asking because i'd like to watch the new movie central HD channels and animal planet in HD, maybe even upgrade to Shaw 250 internet but i can't do any of that until they do the upgrade.
I keep asking so maybe i can get a real answer like ShawChamp just gave otherwise if i didn't i'd still be in the dark on why i was told one date then when that date passed and asked again was told of a new date 6 months down the road, makes me wonder if i was being told the truth.
Thank you Shawchamp that clears up allot of my concerns.
I'll stop asking now and just wait till i get this upgrade sometime in the next year i guess now.
Really wanted the superfast internet at one point but i'll take a breath and stop asking about this.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:13 AM   #236
Gord Lacey
Veteran

The frustration, at least for me, is that now channels are affected because of the DNU. While I was looking forward to faster internet speeds, I was fine waiting, but now I won't be getting new channels such as Movie Central 2 and 3 because my area hasn't been upgraded (though I'll be paying the fee increase), and that's caused me to become frustrated.

It's also frustrating that I may be in the same situation a year from now, and I have no doubt there will be be more channels affected then.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:38 PM   #237
twism
Rookie

Angry

Verified with Shaw that DNU was completed in my area sometime ago and I am eligible for 250mbps. I do have access the 5 new channels. I live in the collingwood area of East Vancouver. Originally on the 100mbps plan and wouldnt get past 50mbps. After DNU got 89mbps consistently.

Later downgraded to 50mbps plan and get 46mbps consistently through shaws speedtest, however on speedtest.net I get 29mbps. Upload speed remained at less then 3mbps. Contacted shaw tech support and asked why I am not getting 5mbps upload speed after the DNU upgrade. After no improvement after troubleshooting he is giving me a cisco modem to replace smc, which he thinks will resolve the issue.

Performance with my Gateway system has seen no improvements, was hoping the extra bandwidth would have helped. Hopefully the soon to be released firmware will fix most of the issues, will have a tech come out otherwise. If still not tollerable I am saying goodbye and hello to telus until this is all sorted it out. Entire household has hated it since day 1. Will miss the fast internet, wifi hotspots and high quality picture, but just too frustrating to use with its current issues.

Last edited by twism; 2012-04-11 at 01:29 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:16 PM   #238
Registering
Rookie

In case this interests someone, there still is channel 70 and 120-125.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:11 PM   #239
j0dest3r
Veteran

Are you referring to BASIC channels on Analogue?

http://shaw.ca/Television/Channel-Listings/
Old 2012-04-13, 04:12 PM   #240
Registering
Rookie

I am. At this point they say nothing about analog or not, but I thought they want all the frequencies so I don't know how it makes sense to leave these in there.