Lighting system upgrade - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2012-04-04, 01:38 AM   #1
tseto

Default Lighting system upgrade

The department of energy mandated that the production of fluorescent fixtures with magnetic ballast for use with the trusty T12 lamps be terminated by July 2010. and by July 2012 fluorescent lamp with the T12 designation will also be terminated. Now is already april. In 3 months time the availability of the familliar 40 watt T12 fluorescent lamp will gradually get harder to find and gets more costly as the supply dwindles. I am not here to discuss how much money you will save or how much better is the light with the new T8 or the high output T5 lighting system. We have no choice in this matter. I wanted to talk about how simple and how inexpensive to upgrade. If you are not comfortable with wiring , please ask someone who knows their way around electricity for help. You can't just just replace the T12 lamps with T8 lamps . The pin spacing is compatible, but don't do it. We have to replace the magnetic ballast that operates on line frequency with an electronic T8 ballast that oprates up to 20 khz. The one I choose is a Sylvania QHE 2K32T8/UNV ISN-SC. this unit will power 1 or 2 lamps from Fo17T8 to FO32T8. This is a universal ballast. It has a black and a white wire for the AC power. a red wire for one end of both lamps and two blue wire, one for each lamp. cap one off if you only needed one. but wait, don't we always neded two lamps, one lead and one lags to improve power factor? No. the lectronics took care of that. Before starting, turn off power to the fixture, remove the T12 lamp, remove the screws holding the cover of the wirings, remove the nut securing the old ballast , undo the connectors that connects the ballast to the AC power lines and the end connectors. remove the ballast. install the new ballast. secure it with the original nuts securing the old ballast. connect the black wire to the black wire of the supply line, the white wire to the other white wire, use the same twist connecter removed earlier. on a two tube system connect the red wire to all the wires coming from the two sockets of one end of the fixture, the blue wires are for the other end, one blue wire per socket. I have to mention that there is no heater element and both pins of the socket are connected together and to the blue wire. replace the metal cover , install the T8 tube and we are done. Rstore the power and see how much brighter the room is!. no hum, no flicker, and a lots of daylight. I got 10 ballast from the wholesaler. I have 10 fixtures in my kitchen. they cost $12.50 each. the 6500 degree K lamps are from Home dpot at 10 for $33.00. My retrofit cost me $12.00 + lamps per fixture. It is pointless to talk about payback time. I did try to acquire the ballasts from Rona and Home depot, they don't have the model I wantd and besides they wanted too much mony. FYI any electrical wholsaler will sell you the products if you ask for the product and show them that you know what to do. They just will not help you like Rona and Home Depot will. I will post the supplier if any one needs it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-04, 02:31 AM   #2
txv
Veteran

To my knowledge, they're only banning the single phosphor tubes which render colors poorly and show up greenish in video shot under them. (good riddance)

Other T12s will still be produced.

Good info otherwise.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:15 AM   #3
gzink

I just searched and they are banning a bunch, except for a outdoor advertising type, 50% dimmable, and residential which are marked for residential.
That is the US Dept of Energy. Is the same happening in Canada?

I do know the t-8's added a few years ago in our lower level work space are way better than the T-12's in my workshop(flickering and buzzing).
Old 2012-04-06, 08:47 PM   #4
tseto

Genrally we are one or two years behind the US in policy changs. This time I don't think we are too far behind. Here is what I find in Natural Resources Canada website.

The advancement of technology has made it possible to significantly increase the energy efficiency of these lamps and the implementation of these new requirements has the potential to significantly reduce energy consumption nationwide. Harmonizing with the US on these regulations will benefit both the economy and the environment and help Canada to meet its energy efficiency goals. Harmonization also eliminates the potential of manufacturers selling products in Canada that they could not otherwise sell in the US.
It stated that we must coordinate with the US effort to benefit both nations.

There is a link to a guide to the regulation concerning to the minimum efficiency requirement of various devices. It stated that a 40 inch fluorescent lamp must have an avrage minimum efficency of 75 lumens per watt. a 40 watt T12 fluorescent lamp typical produces betwen 1980 and 3300 lumens. The average works out to be 2640 lumens or 66 lumens per watt. The average minimum required is 75. Therefor it is RIP in Canada too.

Home depot here in Richmond, BC said that they are allowed to sell what they have on hand, when stock is depleted they will not reorder.

B.C hydro have a big incentive for commercial account to upgrade from the T12 installation. unfortunately there is nothing for the DIY group.
Old 2012-04-06, 11:34 PM   #5
txv
Veteran

If they truly are getting rid of them, there are going to be a lot of angry building owners.

I'm for phasing out the least efficient incandescent lamps since there are halogen drop in replacements, but getting rid of T12s is crazy.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:35 AM   #6
tseto

According to Philips, the makers of both the T8 and T12 bulbs. The T12 at 40 watts produce 2520 lumens, and the T8 at 32 watts produce slightly more at 2600 lumens. My upgrade of 14 fixtures in the kitchen starts at 14 x 40 = 560 watts that produce 35,280 lumens. After the upgrade I have 14 x 32 = 440 watts and produce 36,400 lumens, a gain of 1,120 lumens with 120 watts lower in energy used. 120 watts may not sound much, but multiply that by the number of households on the grid, the saving would be considerable. The 32 watts T8 I am using now are full wattage lamps; energy efficient T8 in 28 and 25 watt 4footers are slowly becoming available with only 10% reduction in lumen output will yield an even greater saving. The new energy efficient T8s will fit into the upgraded fixture without further modification. The question needed to ask is why going through the exercise to T8 and didnít go right to the T5 when T5s yield a even greater saving. I really donít know. One obvious reason is the cost factor. T8 and T12 have the same fixture configuration; all I have to do is change a $12.50 BALLAST. To go right to the T5, I have to change the fixtures or at the very least change all the end connectors, and I donít know if that will work. The improvement from T8 to T5 is not as cost effective as from T12 to T8. I can always look at it at a future date
Old 2012-04-07, 01:43 AM   #7
gzink

They are still selling T12 gear so if they discontinue selling t12 they will pay a price. Makes no sense whatsoever. The BC commercial program makes sense since residential t12 is supposed to be OK.
The gain in efficiency in my workshop would be pennies a month/year and we aren't going to have pennies soon! (5 hours a month use).
Old 2012-04-07, 05:38 PM   #8
txv
Veteran

If T12 disappear, homeowners will start putting T8s in their old magnetic fixtures with bad results.