Youtube Slow? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2012-04-07, 12:33 PM   #16
jmorgan

HD videos seem to be playing fine this morning. I haven't changed anything in my setup. Anyone else notice an improvement?
jmorgan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-09, 10:19 PM   #17
Techman224

Nope, still slow here. I hate all this lagging.
Techman224 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-10, 12:10 AM   #18
jmorgan

Yeah, I spoke too soon. It's terrible again tonight.

Here are my results from the Speed Test:

Old 2012-04-10, 10:11 PM   #19
no123one

It's funny, I was at a friend's place, they only have the regular MTS modem (no TV) and max out around 7Mbps (vs my 32Mbps) and yet her youtube works fine... no lag at all.
no123one is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-11, 03:54 PM   #20
no123one

I just tried the youtube speedtest today and was averaging about 15 Kbps for most of it. I hope this continues.
no123one is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-12, 11:08 AM   #21
jmorgan

Here's a response from MTS tech support:

Quote:
Hello,

the issue appears to be everywhere, we have looked into this and its
oddly random. But appears to be solely related to youtube, similar
issues have happened in the past and have been resolved.
Unfortunately we cannot assist with this, please be aware that we are
also experiencing this issue with users within the company on other
ISPs and our own.

Regards, MTS Support

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-12 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Name removed
Old 2012-04-15, 04:08 PM   #22
plum

What a relief! The past few weeks I was having the exact same issues with youtube as the original poster, with the original poster's exact same internet plan. (As well as Firefox.) You Tube videos would start, play for 5-10 seconds then freeze up. Drove me CRAZY. Asked a tech person at a Future Shop on Thursday about it, and he said it was a common complaint with MTS users with my set-up, and that resetting the modem usually fixes it. So that's what I did.

The only thing was, I couldn't remember what it meant to reset, exactly. Just unplugging the modem for a few minutes, or actually pressing the reset button on the modem first, then unplugging it. So I did both. After I did, You Tube started working again flawlessly, as if by magic. With one caveat. Now I get ads with You Tube. I run Firefox, and I'm unable to get the Ad Block Plus feature to block them, no matter what Ad Block settings I select. It's not such a big deal, as I'll take a brief ad over the videos pausing every ten seconds. I did also notice a recent Adobe Flash update (Macbook Pro) and maybe that had something to do with helping to fix You Tube, as well. I'm generally clueless about computer things, though, so I apologize in advance if Adobe has nothing to do with You Tube.

**Oh, another thing I noticed is that the problem slowly seemed to creep up once I moved up to the Lighting plan. (Which was about a month ago.) Never had a problem with You Tube with the slower plan. It also didn't matter what other devices I had running at the same time. I tested You Tube with all my other devices turned off, with only my Macbook Pro running, and I still had issues. However, after the reset, so far so good. I also tend to empty my Firefox cache every other day, as well. I'll report back if I start having problems again.
plum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 03:20 AM   #23
CastleRockDays

Yeah I'm also having issues with YouTube being slow, picture freezing, and sound cutting out too I'm using Firefox on Telus.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:34 AM   #24
Mozza

As was mentioned earlier, this is an issue with the way Youtube is managing their ads. It is showing up on several providers / browsers.
Mozza is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.