Rogers Ontario 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-05, 08:53 AM   #106
ericball

More on the Food Network.

As an alternate route, I sent an email to the advertising account execs at Shaw (who owns the Food Network), as they (and their clients) will be also impacted by this change. I received the following response:

Quote:
Our internal folks that look after our BDU (broadcast distribution units) relationships were in touch with the Rogers folks. We were told there has been a communication error, so you should be hearing from Rogers directly shortly.
Remember: TV is about selling eyeballs to advertisers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-05, 10:43 AM   #107
cybercat

Default re: Food Network

I spoke at length with CSR "Laura" at Rogers this morning.

She mentioned that Rogers no longer owns Food Network. It will be removed from the Digital VIP Package and bundled with either Lifestyle Package or another theme pack.

We looked at the online listing of channels for the VIP package and it was still there but she indicated that it would be removed from the list when the change occurs (if not sooner).

We looked at options for me to keep the channel.
In my case (and with a proposed two years discount) my bill would be in the $115.00 range. This up from the ninety three bucks or so that the monthly bill is now and THAT just increased from eighty eight bucks or so. The channel is not available as a stand alone - only as a part of a package.

- Bill H.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-05 at 10:57 AM. Reason: OT sentence, question removed
Old 2012-04-05, 10:54 AM   #108
ericball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercat View Post
She mentioned that Rogers no longer owns Food Network. It will be removed from the Digital VIP Package and bundled with either Lifestyle Package or another theme pack.
Rogers never owned the Food Network. Shaw is the current majority owner and managing partner.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:32 AM   #109
ericball

Another update from Rogers:

Quote:
My name is John Tillo and I am an advisor with the Office of the President for Rogers Communications. I was forwarded your inquiry regarding the Food Network and wanted to discuss the matter in detail.

Recently, an Interactive Programming Guide message was inserted into the programming description for Food Network advising customers that they would no longer receive the channel as it is was not included in the package they subscribe to. Unfortunately, this message was also displayed to customers that were correctly subscribing to the channel. The on-channel messaging will be updated immediately to provide greater clarity that the change only impacts those customers that do not actually subscribe to the service. We apologize for any inconvenience.

It was mentioned in your inquiry that you had the VIP service and if this is the case then you will not be impacted. If you would like to provide me with your account details I can confirm that for you.
Of course, he neglects to mention who will not receive the service. Hmm... maybe those with only a DTA will be cut off. Of course, the DTA doesn't provide a Guide....

Last edited by ericball; 2012-04-05 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Quote Syntax Corrected, guide thought added
Old 2012-04-05, 12:04 PM   #110
thenewdc
Veteran

Is Food Network being removed from the analog tier as well. ?? I'm thinking they are removing a channel and NOT reducing the bill to reflect this?
Old 2012-04-05, 01:36 PM   #111
cybercat

Supposedly another channel will replace it in the package.
But based upon my earlier conversation (see above) with a CSR - information provided to me may NOT necessarily be correct.

I think I'll wait it out to see what actually happens on/after the date in question.

Pass the shovel, please...
it's getting deeper.

- Bill H.
Old 2012-04-05, 07:22 PM   #112
yyzlhr

Had my rogers buddy check his knowledge base at work and they have all been updated to say that Food Network is only included with the Lifestyle theme pack or ultimate specialty pack. It used to say it was included in VIP but that is no longer the case.
Old 2012-04-06, 07:49 AM   #113
marvin23

Default Food Network moving to Lifestyle Theme Pack?

The message on the IPG has changed now - It now says: "On Apr 17, Food Network will no longer be available to customers not subscribing to the channel as part of their current TV package. We apologize for the inconvenience" rather than "You will no longer recieve..."

A subtle difference but a difference.

EDIT: on Rogers Facebook page

Food Network is not being removed from our VIP service. There's a message on our interactive programming guide that should only reach affected customers, but VIP is not one of them - the message is being seen by all customers. We're working to correct that ASAP. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 2012-04-06, 09:01 AM   #114
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Have to give credit to Rogers. It appears after alot calls not only by customers but Shaw itself and the adversities EX getting involved things moved pretty fast to correct the problem.
Old 2012-04-08, 12:19 AM   #115
Eug
Veteran

This sucks. Food Network is one of my mom's favourite channels. She doesn't watch most of the other analogue channels. I was not aware of this change when we initiated the transfer process.

In terms of the Lifestyle theme pack, the only one she would ever watch is Food Network, and getting Digital Plus or VIP is too expensive.

Is it possible to order it a la carte? I can't seem to find it there, but Rogers' TV website is very irritating to navigate (as is Bell's). It seems they "simplified" the interface so much that it becomes misleading and flawed as a tool for the consumer. Why is it when you click on the button for a la carte, it shows only 10 "featured" channels and nothing else? How brain dead is that? If you choose from the left column the non-HD channels for example, instead of showing them to you, it shows you only 10 more featured channels.

They fail at user interface design... or they're doing this intentionally to keep everyone confused.
Old 2012-04-08, 08:56 AM   #116
PokerFace

Lightbulb Some hard to find Ó la carte channels and theme packs

Yes, Rogers.com has an absolutely TERRIBLE interface!!! About 6 months ago, I remember giving up on it after my first 10 attempts at trying to find a list of all the Ó la carte channels and various theme packages. What a mess!

I'm trying to figure out how many different Rogers.com links it will take to display the majority of the Ó la carte channels and theme packs, but it seems that every time that I think I'm done, I discover another linked page that has extra channels or theme packages that were not included on the appropriate pages.

Look at all the links that I needed to post here, so that you can see what's available as a la carte offerings and/or theme packages (and I'm quite sure that even more links are needed if I'm to include everything).

Can anybody figure out how to get fewer Rogers.com links to show all the various a la carte channels and theme packs that I've linked below? Good luck, you'll need it!

The Food Network isn't an Ó la carte channel ... at least I haven't been able to find a Rogers.com page that would let you order it as one ... and even several Rogers CSRs recently mentioned that it wasn't available as an Ó la carte channel.

By the way, since most of the a la carte channels are very similar to a 2010 list from another Digital Home thread, you can quickly have a look at that thread instead of trying to solve this annoying Rogers Rubik's Cube.

Related thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=130378
[Sept 2010: Rogers A la Carte Offerings]

----------

I assume there's an easy way to decode the Rogers website, but perhaps the same team that works on the Zip.ca website, might also work on the Rogers website. You almost have to start thinking like a crazy person to get anywhere.

Perhaps if you think of the Rogers website as a Rubik's Cube, you can get closer to beating it ... if you first start working on one colour at a time, then the corners, and then memorizing the results that appear after each link you click.

You also often have to click the red X button beside each choice you make, to get you to the next step, and then sometimes start all over again from the beginning, combining different sequences that you previously memorized.

In order to get many of the links listed below, I had to make many illogical combinations of Rogers.com link clicks. There are far too many combinations of link clicks that I would have to do to find all the a la carte and theme packages that Rogers offers, but at least the Ontario links that I listed below will give you a fairly good idea as to what's available. Once you get to the various Ontario pages, you can change the results to match your region by hovering your mouse pointer over the blue Ontario link (top right corner of each linked page) and then simply selecting your region from the drop-down list that will appear.

Notes:

1) To see a list of 40 individual Rogers a la carte channels on Rogers.com, you could simply click the a la carte link, then click the Individual channels link, then click the blue Show More link.

2) To see all of the channels in the Ultimate Specialty Channels package (there are actually 56 channels in the package, NOT 55 as it says), you must click the blue More Info link (to the right of the price).

In most cases, the blue More Info links will not have to be clicked to show you all the channels in a package, but there are some packages, like for the Sports Theme Pack, that WILL require clicking that blue More Info link to see all the included channels.

3) By clicking each a la carte channel logo, you can usually see the price for it and a brief description of it (top right hand corner of page). However, if you click a channel logo within a package, it will rarely mention whether it's also available as an a la carte channel (though many of the Multicultural channels will often tell you the extra terms to get them for a lower price, or as part of a different combination of channels). Plus, even some of the English channel descriptions will occasionally mention that they are only available through a specific theme pack, or as part of the VIP package, etc.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...120+4294949430
[Good link for many of the Ontario a la carte channels and theme packs]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...430+4294944572
[This particular page link also includes Animal Planet as an a la carte channel]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...430+4294944567
[Some a la carte News channels]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...363+4294949504
[Some Movie channel theme packs and Super Ecran as an a la carte channel ... with a few others]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...120+4294949455
[Some Sports Theme packages and a la carte channels]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...120+4294949437
[Some Family based a la carte channels and theme packs]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...430+4294944570
[This page link correctly has GSN also available as an a la carte channel, even though it's left off of most a la carte pages]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...120+4294946363
[Some other Ontario Theme Packs and a la carte channels]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...363+4294949331
[Adult theme packs and a la carte channels]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...363+4294949502
[Some Multicultural theme packs and 40 a la carte channels, but it's missing Fairchild Television]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...502+4294944548
[Multicultural theme packs and Fairchild Television as an a la carte channel]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...4294949502+130
[Multicultural channels ... but this link also includes B4U Music as an a la carte channel]

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...967120+123+128
[A few more Multicultural a la carte (or combo package) channels]

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/pe...g/new_channels
[New Channels]

Premium Timeshifting Package (Ontario ... and various other regions with different US West feeds)
[$1.99 + 1.5% LPIF + taxes]:

11 channels

Showcase West
Teletoon West
Comedy West
TvTropolis West
W Network West
YTV West

Seattle: ABC, NBC, CBC, FOX, PBS

Last edited by PokerFace; 2012-04-08 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added a few more links and info
Old 2012-04-09, 10:46 AM   #117
weehaggis

Default Checking When Contract Is Up

I thought it was mentioned on my bills....but I can't see it.
I also tried logging into my account, but I was still unable to see when my contract is up.
Anyone ?
Old 2012-04-09, 12:06 PM   #118
Eug
Veteran

The contract end date is not on my regular monthly bill either. Just the amount of the contract discount is on that. I didn't see it on my online account either.

However, it shows up on my confirmation invoices, when I've changed a service. eg. I recently deactivated a cable set top box, and they sent me a confirmation of that deactivation. On there is my contract end date.

Or you could just call them. Their wait times are usually relatively short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace
The Food Network isn't an Ó la carte channel
That's disappointing, but thanks for the info.
Old 2012-04-17, 01:57 PM   #119
cybercat

Default Food Network

It's the 17th - anybody lose Food Network yet?

It was still working for me at lunch time, but then- I'm on digital VIP or something.

- Bill H.
Old 2012-04-17, 03:05 PM   #120
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Still have it both SD & HD and I have VIP???something as well.

From my understanding(someone correct me if I'm wrong) those with the VIP Package still get to keep it. I believe its one of the other packages that changed.
Closed Thread