New speed, new price - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2011-08-13, 10:43 PM   #1
merve04

Default New speed, new price

Dont know if anyone noticed, but Telus just up'ed their upload speed from 2 to 2.5Mbps for their Turbo 25 package, and have cut prices on both Turbo and Turbo 25 for Optik and non-Optik subs.
LG 32LS3400|Telus CIS330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-15, 10:34 PM   #2
pioneeruser

Is there any noticeable difference between 15mb/s and 25mb/s for Optik internet as far as the IPTV side is concerned, or is it purely internet?

For example, if I upgrade to 25mb/s from 15mb/s Optik internet, will it increase the HD/SD streams Optik TV can handle?

I'm currently 3HD/1SD according to check availability.
Old 2012-03-16, 09:38 AM   #3
Dr.Dave

@pioneeruser, if you are eligible for 3HD/1SD, then your line will be at least 25 Mbps and IPTV can use all it needs. You can order 15 or 25 Mbps Optik Internet and that speed cap will apply only to the Internet portion.

The line traffic is dynamically allocated so that TV streams get priority. That means that even if you order the 25 Mbps package, your Internet speed could be 14 Mbps if all your TV streams are in use.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:29 PM   #4
jechow

Dr. Dave. Are you saying that the maximum bandwidth coming into our home is approximately 3 simultaneous HD channels, 1 SD channel and one Optik (15 Mbps) internet connection?
Old 2012-03-17, 11:02 AM   #5
Dr.Dave

@jechow, generally that's a good approximation, however if you order Optik High Speed Turbo Internet, your Internet connection can dynamically use up to 25 Mbps if it's not being used by active TV streams at that time.

It is possible for VDSL2 to run faster than that for homes that are relatively close to the node, but I don't know if if Telus provisions lines that way.

Of course those limitations don't apply to Ethernet to the suite (ETTS) or Fibre to the Home (FTTH).
Old 2012-03-25, 06:46 PM   #6
harryt
Rookie

Did they cut the prices because shaw has faster internet? It has made me wonder why telus has not offered the speeds shaw does? I assume they have the technology to do it?
Old 2012-03-27, 10:15 PM   #7
tablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryt View Post
Did they cut the prices because shaw has faster internet? It has made me wonder why telus has not offered the speeds shaw does? I assume they have the technology to do it?
Probably because they have too many customers already far away from CO's. Even in the bigger cities. They don't even offer 25mbps to a big chunk of the userbase. If they offer higher speeds only a fraction of the fraction that gets 25mbps would get them. It would probably look pretty bad if the majority of people wanting the new fast speeds couldn't actually get them.
Old 2012-03-31, 10:13 AM   #8
Lee_Roy
Rookie

Yup, I live in Edmonton and my street isn't on a DSLAM. For some reason Telus thinks it's better for my street to be copper lines to the CO. I had Telus HD TV (before Optik came out) but the HD would degrade and a Rushman had to come out to tell us that HD won't work because we are on straight copper lines and to far from the CO (even though the telus rep said yes we can have it). I think my max speed is 15MB to the house but that's on a good day. Telus still says I can have 1 HD + 3 SD with optik but I know for a fact the lines are still the old copper to this day. Funny thing is that the next street over on both sides is copper/fibre mix to a DSLAM and fibre from the DSLAM to the CO if you follow the power lines (yes I'm a nerd and did that). I did notice last year that Telus was adding an expansion to the DLSAM and thought maybe the line will finally be upgraded and put on the DLSAM but nothing has changed yet. Until Telus changes my lines, I'm stuck with just Internet with them and Shaw for TV. Even the Shaw lines I'm on haven't been upgraded and I doubt they could handle all their new services.

It's like I'm on the street that the service providers forgot, or they ran out of cable.
Old 2012-03-31, 11:01 AM   #9
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@Lee Roy I'm in your area and do not know of any limitations with Shaw in a typical set up. Shaw's Coaxial lines can handle much more the bandwidth than a copper line. For example there are no limitations on how many HDTV's you want set up and services are sent through different pipes most of the way. DOCSIS tech could very well have 1GB/s internet burst speeds around the corner. Copper still have life it too with bonding but not much more than 50/100mbps and an upgrade is required for that. Incidently Telus changed the price back on their regular High Speed yesterday.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:13 PM   #10
Lee_Roy
Rookie

@Shaw Champ

Could be that Shaw can offer all their services. The original installer didn't give me the confidence that it could. He said I could get internet and TV, but no mention of Phone. Now with the EXO service, I don't think the line could hold 7 HD channel recording at once with 50MB internet and Digital phone. Just seems like a lot for an old coaxial line I see outside. Like I mentioned earlier if you go to the next streets you see thick lines for both Telus and Shaw. Also I have one Cable Box, a motorola DCT3416 saying S0a00 on channel 211 (Global TV), is it a splitter issue? The upstairs TV on the newer motorola 500GB PVR is fine.
Old 2012-04-16, 06:39 PM   #11
Takodo
Rookie

Lee_roy Shaw most definately can offer 50+ megabits per second while watching/recording 6 TV shows in HD.

I am on Shaw's 250 megabit service, with a gateway, 5 portals and home phone. When you watch TV on Shaw it will never ever disturb your internet connection. Read up on how DOCSIS 3 works, it is nothing like xDSL services.

Last edited by Takodo; 2012-04-16 at 08:42 PM.