OTA Station Status: Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta - Page 39 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-03-17, 07:31 PM   #571
j0dest3r
Veteran

I don't recall what they were before, but now they are Citytv and OMNI for me.
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-19, 01:38 AM   #572
downbeat

My experience mirrors what frontpl8 describes: No more call letters.
downbeat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-20, 12:10 PM   #573
Mike FM

Default City TV Edmonton

So, for a couple of days last week, there was no PSIP information on City Edmonton so I called and asked what was up. Tech said they were setting clocks in Calgary and may have done something. Yesterday, still no City on 3 different TV's and looked at TSreader again. The PSIP is back but they changed the virtual to 51.1 (as it should be) instead of 17.1. To watch the channel, I had to rescan to pick up the new channel on all 3 TV's. All good again!
Mike FM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-21, 09:25 PM   #574
van der Decken

Default Citytv Calgary program data down

Citytv (CKAL-DT) in Calgary is no longer showing program data for me this evening. It's back to the generic "Citytv CALGARY , Event ####' data. I suppose a few bumps in the road are to be expected. OMNI still looks good though.
van der Decken is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-31, 11:35 AM   #575
Billsmith

Default CBRT-DT English service! This summer! 10 times the ERP!

CBRT-DT is scheduled to transfer it's service to a new antenna and the new transmitter will be 10Kw power output. The new antenna is expected to be attached to the surface of the old Channel 9 high band unit at the very top of the mast. The ERP is expected to be over 200 Kw. This should offer extended range and better reception opportunities around and well outside Calgary.
Billsmith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-31, 05:47 PM   #576
j0dest3r
Veteran

Good news for cow town! What about CBC French still the same status, stuck on analog? How much longer can they stay there?
Old 2012-03-31, 06:50 PM   #577
Billsmith

Default CBRFT French Service.

j0dest3r - AFAIK Southern Alberta's CBC/SRC repeater sites are all having or have had satelite dishes and receivers added in order to continue to feed the old analog repeaters when the so called "analog backbone" is switched off.
In theory at least, this will mean that the analog services can continue until other parts wear out and can no longer be replaced due to non-availabilty or a new mandate appears which will require them to be turned off or replaced by digital services. The same, I imagine will happen or has happened to CBRFT French service in Calgary. The analog service could therefore linger on for a few years pending a further authoratative decision. It's a pity that a city the size of Calgary doesn't appear to warrant an OTA DTV French service. A little oddball in the scheme of things? (Calgary has 6 DTV channels and one analog)!
Old 2012-03-31, 08:02 PM   #578
j0dest3r
Veteran

The part that really ticks me off is CBC is allowed to stay on the air Analogue but not CTV2 but we won't go there.
Old 2012-04-01, 11:35 AM   #579
j0dest3r
Veteran

Default Global Edmoton

Wow! So I've had my antenna up for almost a year now, never had any signal issues until today. There is a bit of a spring snow storm going on, and Global is unwatchable! CFRN is fine. It looks like I'm going to have to tweak my setup again!
Old 2012-04-01, 12:50 PM   #580
audacity
Veteran

j0dest3r,

I saw your message and checked. I'm not getting 13.1 either right now.

Ahh well, this sort of thing is infrequent enough that I'm probably not going to do anything about it. What would have to happen in order for me to upgrade my antenna setup would be if start losing prime-time recordings due to antenna signal issues.
audacity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-01, 04:06 PM   #581
Billsmith

j0dest3r - I did also want CTV2 OTA as you did but when I enquired about it with CTV, I was told that the viewing audience size didn't justify the investment.
Old 2012-04-01, 11:00 PM   #582
j0dest3r
Veteran

Thanks for confirming. 11am I checked again and it was back to 70+. I guess that is just the way it is sometimes.

As far as CTV2 goes, Rogers didn't have too much trouble putting up Omni in the first place and switching it to digital no less despite the 'smaller audience.' CTV/Bell are just greedy u know whats and just use the audience size as an excuse. That's fine, my eyes will be elsewhere watching their competitions advertising more!
Old 2012-04-03, 09:44 PM   #583
tvlurker
Veteran

Because Rogers needed to be OTA to get cable coverage. CTV2 does not. For Rogers, no OTA means no audience, while for CTV2 no OTA means they only lose the OTA-only audiene, but keep the cable audience.
tvlurker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-03, 10:45 PM   #584
j0dest3r
Veteran

I guess I don't understand why the rules seem to be different for CTV2 are different than that for OMNI. Doesn't seem fair really.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:17 AM   #585
tvlurker
Veteran

CTV2 started off as a direct-to-cable provincial educational station, and has inherited the privileges accruing to such a station.
tvlurker is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.