What's going on - Netflix Quality? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-02-14, 11:56 PM   #1
Gino34

Default What's going on - Netflix Quality?

I don't understand this at all. Here's my scenario:

I'm in Toronto, Ontario streaming Netflix from my Xbox 360 and I'm getting mediocre picture quality at best. My isp is Velcom and I'm currently on a 6mb DSL plan. I tried both wireless and wired connections and I don't see any differences in quality. I tried to watch a movie that's supposed to be in HD and the movie looked like dvd quality at best....no where NEAR high def material.

Now, I've tried running Crackle on my 360 and the movie and tv show quality is way better than Netflix. Someone told me that speed is the most important thing when it comes to Netflix's quality on screen. Why then is Crackle so much better? If it's my speed, Crackle would look just as bad right?

I know for a fact that my isp doesn't throttle my speed...is it possible that Netflix does? I tried to watch an X-Files episode and it looked like a youtube video running with 240 lines of resolution. My speed is adequate to run Netflix....or is it? On their website they state that you need a 5mb or higher. Has anyone else had this happen and do I need to upgrade my web speed in order to get better video quality?

This makes no sense to me as Crackle content looks so clean. I recently watched "Crossroads" and the video was really good....no HD good but clean enough on my 32" set. I wish my Netflix movies looked as good.

Can someone suggest something? I hate the fact that Netflix doesn't give us the choice as to which quality stream we want. I read somewhere that they toned it down to something like 625kps. You'll never get HD quality on that.

Why can't I just let my console buffer (put my console on pause for a while) and get the chance to see it in better video quality? I honestly thought that by going wired it would improve the quality. What gives??? Crackle may not have the same amount of content compared to Netflix but it's a deal breaker for me if the quality sucks real bad.

Any comments or help?