Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 95 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-02-13, 12:19 PM   #1411
cyberham

Default Factory Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Options-4-9-8-8-6. You can get a rehit after on the website or through their automated refresh feature on their phone system.
This key sequence did do a factory reset. Now I am waiting for the guide to fully download. At this point, the channel mapping is incorrect since it has assigned the Classic mapping instead of the correct Advanced mapping. I'll try a refresh to see if this fixes it.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-13, 12:30 PM   #1412
cyberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberham View Post
This key sequence did do a factory reset.
A refresh updated to correct Advanced channel mapping. PVR features still out of service. Any time I try to access hard disk via PVR, the box freezes and I have to do front panel button reset. I think the hard disk is fried.

I own the box and this is probably the end of Shaw Direct for me. Unless the box is still under warranty, I see a major repair cost to replace the hard disk. I've had 3 major troubles while with Shaw Direct in 6 months of service; 3 strikes they're out. I'm going exclusively to over-the-air TV and Free-to-Air satellite (it's legal you know).
Old 2012-02-13, 12:44 PM   #1413
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
Only recourse was to pull the power cord.
Generally a bad idea unless the machine is off and not recording. It's better to do a reset by holding down the front panel power button for 5 seconds. Chances are it will reboot on its own after a few minutes. It's probably better to wait before resetting in case some sort of system repair is taking place.

Quote:
I think the hard disk is fried.
The hard disk probably just needs to be reformatted. There is a hidden menu for that but I forget what it is. Someone here will know it.
Old 2012-02-13, 12:52 PM   #1414
cyberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Generally a bad idea unless the machine is off and not recording. It's better to do a reset by holding down the front panel power button for 5 seconds. Chances are it will reboot on its own after a few minutes. It's probably better to wait before resetting in case some sort of system repair is taking place.
I agree with hindsight. I was afraid of doing either actually since the disk was writing. I figured either could damage the disk, but if I had it to do over, I'd try the front panel reset first.

Quote:
The hard disk probably just needs to be reformatted. There is a hidden menu for that but I forget what it is. Someone here will know it.
Yes, I agree with this too. Anybody who knows how to reformat the disk, speak up.

It has now gone into a cycle of resetting, failing, resetting...so now the receiver is gone too. I suspect in resetting it needs to write to disk which it can't do right now, so it resets.

Added: I may already have reformatted. When doing the factory reset, I chose to erase rather than preserve the hard disk. That was probably a format.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:05 PM   #1415
barba
Rookie

first things first when doing a factory reset on a dvr 630 you must erase the chanel map options 4 9 7 7 1 left arrow until diag F then hit info ..
once that is done to ensure full format of hard drive remove both tuner 1 and tuner 2 line in ..options 4 9 8 8 6 and then confirm..depending on what lnb u have either be on 299 for a quad or 252 for the new xku conect both lines in .......then 2 hits need to be sent...on options 4 7 line f once that indicate map status complete all should be good......
barba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-13, 01:54 PM   #1416
cyberham

Can't do this procedure now due to endless resetting. Before I can complete any procedure, it resets again.

Added: When last stable before it started resetting, channel map seemed correct (Advanced) and receiver was working correctly. Just PVR was not. Maybe we have progress...resetting seems to have stopped and box has stabilized. I may be able to try your procedure.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:15 PM   #1417
cyberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
first things first when doing a factory reset on a dvr 630 you must erase the chanel map options 4 9 7 7 1 left arrow until diag F then hit info ..
once that is done to ensure full format of hard drive remove both tuner 1 and tuner 2 line in ..options 4 9 8 8 6 and then confirm..depending on what lnb u have either be on 299 for a quad or 252 for the new xku conect both lines in .......then 2 hits need to be sent...on options 4 7 line f once that indicate map status complete all should be good......
There is no diag F, only diag A with lots of data on screen. As soon as I try left arrowing, box resets. I don't think left arrowing is causing reset; box resets endlessly without any action on my part.

Added: Box has stopped resetting. Map loading. It is the wrong map (Classic) but I will allow it to complete and box stabilize before attempting to change it. Hard Drive Health says Failed: Connect.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:42 PM   #1418
GaryE
Veteran

Go to Options-4-7 and scroll down to "S" Hard Drive Health: If it says Failed then your hard drive has crapped out. Call SD and they will go through a long-winded trouble shooting thing and about 45 minutes later they will finally admit the hard drive has failed. Happened to me a few weeks ago. The hard drive was making a funny "buzz-beep" noise when I tried to reboot. Everything would load back up but the PVR functions were no longer there. Try to set a timer and nothing would happen. They finally sent a new refurbished unit.
Old 2012-02-13, 06:57 PM   #1419
ScaryBob
Veteran

Unplugging should not make the drive fail. It may make the disk unusable so that it needs to be reformatted. It's probably just a coincidence if the drive has physically failed.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:58 PM   #1420
cyberham

Quote:
Unplugging should not make the drive fail. It may make the disk unusable so that it needs to be reformatted. It's probably just a coincidence if the drive has physically failed.
No, it shouldn't since it only simulates a power failure that could happen at any moment of the day.

Have now reviewed situation with SD tech support. A new box is en route to me. At least the receiver is working correctly now and no resets. Just have to live without PVR (and WITH commericials!) for 5 to 7 days. Under 1-year manufacturer's warranty: no charge.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:00 PM   #1421
Billy34

Default smart recording question

I just got the 630 pvr and I wanted to know about smart recording, i assume if you smart record new episodes, it will only record new episodes, and if you smart record all episodes it records all episodes only 1 time... and you set the pvr history to say 40 days it will not record the same episode more than 1 time within that 40 days... the question i have is if you watch an episode and erase it does it re-record that episode again within the 40 days if aired again, or will it only skip it if it is still on the pvr.... does my question make sense...
Billy34 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-15, 06:32 AM   #1422
ddayson

Default PVR problem - 630 receiver

For the last two days my 630 receiver has been having some issues recording shows. Shows that I have scheduled are no longer recording. The guide shows them as being set to record. There are no conflicts. When it starts recording one show, it won't let me change the channel. It says "Your request cannot be completed as there are two recordings in progress, etc..." However, there is only one show recording! Then when I go to check what has been recorded from earlier in the day it shows the names of the shows, but no time or date, and a recording duration of anywhere from 48 to 56 HOURS. Of course you can't watch the shows, the only option available is to delete the recording. If I have two shows set to record at the same time, only one of them records. Other shows are being ignored completely. Shows that it says are recording presently have a duration of 0 minutes. If you tell it to stop recording, it keeps recording and won't stop, until a couple of minutes after. This is very frustrating. Is my receiver toast? I don't want to waste my time dealing with SD customer service unless I have to. I have done both a front panel reset and unplugged both the power and the SAT1 and SAT2 connections. Neither have fixed the problem. Anyone know what is causing this or what the fix is? Thanks.
ddayson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-15, 06:42 AM   #1423
ddayson

Quick update - at the moment my receiver has the red recording light on and has been on for the last half hour... this would be good except that I am not recording anything right now!! What a piece.
ddayson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-15, 01:47 PM   #1424
ScaryBob
Veteran

Have you tried a receiver reset?
Old 2012-02-15, 03:04 PM   #1425
cyberham

Default Smart Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy34 View Post
I just got the 630 pvr and I wanted to know about smart recording...
I will offer my opinion based on my general understanding of this box. Maybe others can give you a definite answer based on specific experience.

Smart recording new episodes only records new episodes one time. It will only record that episode one time since after that it isn't a new episode. Smart recording all episodes records all episodes; every time an episode of the program is aired, it records it one time until the time value set for PVR History passes, and then it would record that episode again if it aired again.

To answer your question, I don't think the box is able to determine what remains on the PVR as a recorded file and use that information to determine what to record. In other words, it doesn't matter if you delete or don't delete something already recorded, that action or lack of action won't affect what gets recorded in future.

The only determining factor for whether to record an episode when set for smart recording of all episodes is how many days have passed since an episode was recorded. If the number of days set in PVR History has passed, then the box will record the episode.

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct
Gear in this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.