Browser is too fast for some but still not good enough? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Linux

Old 2011-12-20, 12:04 PM   #1
EricReesor

Default Browser is too fast for some but still not good enough?

I am currently posting this from Firefox 9 on Linux. Not installed to /usr or for other users other than my /home profile.

It is the fastest browser hands down at loading pages. None of the usual wait as the page parses stuff that we have come to expect with Mozilla.

IE 9 is good, Chrome is great but this is in a league all by itself...it is almost as if everything is already cashed. But I know it isn't because I have not posted on this site in a long time and it came up like changing channels on a tv.. No lag in the add up top or numerous css loaded boxes and js stuff that this forum has to do to make this post possible.

Hands down it is the fastest java-script and css handling browser.. Now I will look into the dreaded memory usage problems that all the Windows guys seem to think are the reason why Firefox is not as popular as it once was.

Lets see I have 6 tabs up, am on several different pages that require lots of plugs and other stuff and am also listening to Radio Mozart http://listen.radionomy.com/radio-mozart.m3u on another tab.
Firefox is using 112 meg allocated 32 of which is shared by helper apps. And that is Firefox complete unlike other software which uses an engine that has a different pid that is on all the time.

So yes if you consider what software used in 1995 it is a huge memory hog.
But it does not freeze the system or not release memory and get aside when you ignore it and use other software.

It comes down to what good is boasting about the fact that you have 8 gig of ram and your only using 400 meg of it so it must be really efficient...when nothing could be further from the truth.

I am currently using 397 meg of ram with an additional 300 meg swapped out and my system has tons left on board for running a DLNA server, ffmpeg or serveral more ram intensive things at the same time..I only have 1.5 gig on my old IBM laptop. ( swapped out processes are not what they used to be they no longer mean you will be writing to and from disk instead of actually processing things) Besides which with modern OSes you can easily change the level at which the memory stack will send sleeping process to disk. If you have gobs of ram why write to disk at all.

So to say that Firefox is a memory hog is fallacious nonsense. It only lacks the fact that the HTML engine it uses is not embedded like explorer.exe is.
The fact that it is fast is amazing considering the disadvantage of not having your core engine launch at boot!

Remember the bad old days having to load up a system tray launcher just to let Firefox load as fast as IE? Well bring it back! Cause this browser rocks ...now if it would only load as fast as IE on Windows

This beats any browsing experience I have seen to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-05, 02:29 PM   #2
Balun

One of these days I will compile a new Firefox. I'm running Debian Lenny, and its Iceweasel 3.0.6 (modified Mozzilla 5.0) is getting long in the tooth. As of last month its was still the latest on the Lenny repo. I don't want to upgrade to Debian squeeze yet as this is my backup laptop. I'll do that on the first laptop after repairs.
I remember back when I ran Redhat, the Firefox I had way back then blew the doors off of IE.
When I visited friends computers with Windows / IE, I could not under stand how they survived without tabbed browsing.
My web browsing pushes this installation, with usually 10 tabs open all the time. Once in a while it just quits on its own. I never bother to check for kernel messages, I just restart it, thanks to it resuming all the open tabs again.
Old 2012-01-05, 04:14 PM   #3
JamesK
Veteran

One nice thing about Chrome is you can have it open to as many preset sites as you wish. Just open the tabs the way you want them and then configure Chrome to open them at start up.

I have it configured to open to GMail, Google Calendar and Google+, each on it's own tab.

BTW, the first browser I used was IBM's WebExplorer on OS/2. That was almost 17 years ago!
Old 2012-01-06, 08:56 AM   #4
scotta

Opening multiple tabs on startup is no problem with Firefox.
Multiple tabs open when starting Firefox
Old 2012-01-06, 10:33 AM   #5

Same with Internet Explorer. Open all the tabs you want, go to Tools->Internet options and click on Use current in Home page section. It will add all open tabs to the list, and next time you start IE it will show all of them.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:19 PM   #6
Balun

Default Now version 10

Upgraded to version 10 directly from Mozilla. I was going to compile myself, but the installer was so fast, and Firefox runs very well. I have not uninstalled Iceweasel yet as I might break some libraries on Debian Lenny.
I started up Iceweasel once last week by accident. It wiped out the profile for Firefox 10. Fortunately a backup was only a few hours old.
Easy upgrade, only took a couple of hours to restore flash and other plugins.