Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread - Page 57 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-01-03, 01:03 AM   #841
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I would highly recommend that, S.Chan. You could be sitting there all day waiting for someone to show, only to call at the end of the day and be told there was no such appointment booked. It has happened to me before.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-03, 01:39 PM   #842
S.Chan

Chatted with Shaw this morning and everything in my workorder is in place (nothing was changed or modified).

So, it is, in fact, possible to activate a new box succesfully through concierge chat without affecting any outstanding work orders.
Old 2012-01-03, 01:56 PM   #843
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I'd really like to know how you did that, S.Chan. Any ideas on that?
Old 2012-01-03, 01:59 PM   #844
S.Chan

I just did a concierge chat and asked if they could help me activate my box as I was unable to do so online.

The rep asked if it was plugged in, I said yes. He did something on his end and then told me to try the box. Box then started working. Before I left I asked the rep to reconfirm the time slot for my appointment. The rep did. And that was it.

Did a follow up chat this morning and asked for the details of my appointment. And everything the rep listed matched my original workorder.
Old 2012-01-03, 02:28 PM   #845
Jetranger
Veteran

Maybe my concierge chat agent just didn't know how to do this. Perhaps I will try again, just for the sake of proving a point if for no other reason.

Thanks for posting!
Old 2012-01-03, 04:46 PM   #846
antonk

Well sure enough, just a couple weeks after I claim that my 3400 never froze with the expander, it did it just now. I was watching a recorded show (which may have been recorded either on the expander or the internal harddrive - the amount of free space on both is close to equal so it would be hard to guess) and it froze in the middle of it. No message or anything, just a frozen picture and no response to any commands. I even tried unplugging the expander and plugging it back in, but nothing short of unplugging the 3400 did anything at all.

Fortunately I didn't have anything recording at the time, but I sure hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon (or preferably ever)!
Old 2012-01-03, 05:52 PM   #847
Jetranger
Veteran

This really isn't a 3400 issue but since we have been talking about it here, it seems you must have somehow got really lucky, S.Chan, as the concierge agent I had today, in Vancouver even, said in his 5 years there he has never been able to have more than one WO open at a time and the only thing he could think of was that your agent cancelled and then re-booked your install and luckily got the same time slot.

I highly doubt that last part happened but there was nothing that could be done for me today. It's really not a big deal but it is just weird that you got the same thing done and I can't. I guess this really belongs in the 'Rant' thread but I won't post about it again here.
Old 2012-01-03, 07:51 PM   #848
S.Chan

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I am not sure what my concierge rep did.

The only other thing I could think of is that when I purchased my box at the Secret Sale, the rep typed in the serial number from the box into the computer. However, all the Secret Sales reps at the event were doing this though.

The box still needed to be activated when I went to set it up (it didn't work right out of the box; hence my concierge chat).

But, could it have to do with the fact that the Secret Sale rep already typed in the serial in the computer?
Old 2012-01-03, 08:30 PM   #849
Jetranger
Veteran

I believe my sales rep did the same so who knows what the difference is. They already had my S/N when I did the chat yesterday so I wouldn't think that is it.
Old 2012-01-03, 09:23 PM   #850
stanl

I am willing to bet that your speculation about the concierge rep simply cancelling the order and then reinstating it is the answer.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago when I was getting my gateway system. I was adding and subtracting boxes since I was juggling older PVr's for trade in purposes.

I had a couple of agents that simply refused to do that because of the one work order rule but I did find two that were quite willing to cancel the order, enter the serial number of the box, and then reinstate the order. And it took so little time there was no difficulty getting the same install date since it is a block not a hard and fast time.

I never actually had to activate the boxes because I had no intention of using them but the serial numbers had to be on my account when the installer came to trade them for portals.
Old 2012-01-05, 02:36 AM   #851
Jetranger
Veteran

Well, I did finally manage to get my 3400(apparently Shaw call these a '505') activated today while the Tech was here installing my 2 new Portals. It took at least 5 or more 'hits' to get it to work properly and one power cycle in between as well. The tech said he has seen many of these units require half a dozen hits to get them running and I guess this was just another one of those ones that wanted to be difficult.

Now I get to test it out and see if it's any better or worse than my other 3400(505, why can't they just use the model numbers printed on the boxes?) that has an Expander connected to it. The two are side by side at the moment so this might be interesting. It will be a month or so before I make the trip out to the Island to deliver this to my parents so I might find some differences in the setups or perhaps if they both 'freeze up' at the same time, I'll know the Expander has nothing to do with that.
Old 2012-01-05, 12:17 PM   #852
S.Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
Now I get to test it out and see if it's any better or worse than my other 3400(505, why can't they just use the model numbers printed on the boxes?) that has an Expander connected to it.
Did a google search and looks like they also call the DCX3200 "506" and the DC758 "568".

Link: http://www.shaw.ca/Support/Televisio...ment-required/
Old 2012-01-05, 03:36 PM   #853
Jetranger
Veteran

I've always known they use different identifiers for the boxes, just never understood why. Thank for the link, S.Chan, as I hadn't seen that page before. I'm not an NFL or hockey fan so had no reason to happen across it.
Old 2012-01-05, 10:06 PM   #854
DigitalPixel

Should the arrow buttons and the buttons right of the blue power button light up on the DCX3400?

From their image here it looks like they are lit.
http://www.shaw.ca/Television/Equipment/HD-PVR-500GB/
Old 2012-01-05, 10:14 PM   #855
stationg

Omg I'm sorry but I'm really confused on shaws offerings for the gateway/portal. Will the 3400 work with the gateway?