My satellite box from home won't work at the cabin. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2011-11-23, 11:49 AM   #1
Stangfire

Question My satellite box from home won't work at the cabin.

Hi there,

I have an older satellite system at my cabin in Ontario. Star Choice elliptical dish and SD box. Not sure of the model. Anyway I cancelled it for the winter as I don't go out there much. I also have a new shaw satellite system at my permanent residence in Manitoba that I just got. It's an HD system and I have it active all year round. Anyway, I went out to the cabin this past weekend and my wife insisted on TV. I disconnected my HD600 box from home and took it out to the lake. I then disconnected my SD box at the cabin and hooked up my HD box thinking it would work (even though my tv is not HD). Well it didn't work. It said signal not found. Now I had to listen to my wife complain for 3 days. haha.

How come it didn't work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-23, 01:06 PM   #2
rgto

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630/DSR505; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11

You probably have a different LNB at the cabin than your residence. Just call a CSR and have them send the correct v-code for your receiver to match up with the satellite setup at your cabin. When you get back home, you'll have to call again and change it back though.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:43 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

See also: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...highlight=hafh
Old 2011-11-23, 04:07 PM   #4
Stangfire

The LNB's probably are different. The one at the lake is about 4 years old and the one I have at home is brand new. The one at home they told me it's the newest one with provision for future internet.

So that would cause a problem?
Old 2011-11-23, 04:17 PM   #5
magnet

Yes it would...
Old 2011-11-24, 09:35 AM   #6
classicsat
Veteran

The new LNBF has an extended Ku LNBF (just for the new satellite next year, which provides only one way TV reception), with the Local Oscillator 250 Mhz or so higher than normal, so the frequencies the receiver has to tune are all different than the older receiver. The V-code sets that. You need a new LNBF, or have the V-code set for the older cabin dish.
Old 2011-12-10, 03:24 PM   #7
pfrad
Rookie

Default V codes

Same situation here , anyway we can change our own V codes, somehow ?
Old 2011-12-10, 04:06 PM   #8
Installer

sorry..no ....unless you like spending a lot of time on the phone I would
1: buy a receiver to leave at the camp and have the proper v-code aplied.
2: buy an xku lnb for the camp and swap it with the old 1 (dish does not need to be adjusted)
Old 2011-12-11, 07:14 AM   #9
pfrad
Rookie

Ok thanks, I guess switching lnd's is the way to go for me ,enabling the use of a 600 receiver that i think can only take the new v codes ?, looking for one of these on line and the question becomes which lnb to chose the xKu 60E or 75E . How would I know .

Thanks
Old 2011-12-11, 09:59 AM   #10
classicsat
Veteran

You can only change V-code over the phone.

Not sure how many V-codes there are, but older receivers can get ones to work with the new LNBF. To add to confusion, they do have separate V-codes for MPEG2 only, and MPEG2/4 lineups.