CRTC hearing on UBB - July 11, 2011 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-04, 10:39 AM   #1
Dr.Dave

Default CRTC launches online consultation on wholesale Internet

June 3, 2011 - The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched an online consultation asking Canadians to comment on the way large cable and telephone companies charge independent Internet service providers (ISPs) for the use of their networks. This consultation is part of a proceeding that will include a public hearing beginning on July 11, 2011, in Gatineau, Quebec.

Quote:
To ensure that the market for retail Internet services remains competitive, large cable and telephone companies must offer their wholesale customers, the independent ISPs, access to their networks under terms and conditions approved by the CRTC. Different pricing plans for wholesale Internet services have been proposed and so the CRTC is seeking the views of Canadians on the following questions:
  • How do you think large cable and telephone companies should charge independent ISPs for the use of their networks?
  • What kind of wholesale pricing plans encourage innovative products and services that benefit consumers?
  • What kind of wholesale pricing plans encourage network investment by large companies and independent ISPs?
  • What kind of wholesale pricing plans would be most beneficial for consumers?
The online consultation will conclude at midnight (EST) on June 24, 2011. Canadians may participate by visiting the following Web address: www.internetservices.publivate.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-07-09, 03:41 PM   #2
Dr.Dave

Default CRTC hearing on UBB - July 11, 2011

From the CRTC press release:
Quote:
Commencing on July 11, 2011, the Commission will hold a hearing in Gatineau, Quebec, to review the billing practices for wholesale residential high-speed access services.

You can listen to the hearing through a live audio feed available on our website at: www.crtc.gc.ca .

Are you interesting in following the hearing? Follow us on Twitter:
@CRTCGCCA, hashtag: #UBB #CRTC
Old 2011-07-11, 11:52 PM   #3
GusX

Bell pitches new usage-based internet billing idea

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...lling-ubb.html
Old 2011-07-12, 09:32 PM   #4
dunlop

and I was literally calling teksavvy to switch over my phone/internet next week

Think I'll hold out for a bit
Old 2011-07-13, 11:27 AM   #5
JamesK
Veteran

CRTC UBB Hearing, Day 2:"What is so undemocratic about allowing a few companies to control the Net?"

Perhaps this indicates what's wrong with the CRTC.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:32 AM   #6
HisHighness
Rookie

Quote:
You can listen to the hearing through a live audio feed available on our website at: www.crtc.gc.ca
I would listen to it online but my ISP has capped my net usage, so I need to ration it like POWs ration food...

I like OpenMedia, but they're wasting their time. The CRTC has and always will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Bell, Telus, and Rogers. Off the top of my head I can't think of one CRTC decision that was actually in the public interest, and if I were PM I'd abolish it and throw its members in jail.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:58 PM   #7
Francois Caron
Veteran

I've posted a bit of a rant on my UBB Deception Web site stating my reasons for not attending the current round of hearings. The problem is not only with the CRTC and powerful Pro-UBB/AVP camps; I also have a few issues with the consumer panels and public advocacy groups.

http://theubbdeception.ca/2011/07/wh...participating/

However, today turned out to be a very good day. Distributel, Jean-François Mezei, and a relatively unknown but extremely effective Claude Hénault all delivered very strong anti-UBB presentations.

Next week's rebuttals should be fun!

Tags
crtc, internet, ubb