Bell dish / Telus PVR - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus Satellite TV

Old 2010-05-06, 12:11 PM   #1
07shelby
Rookie

Default Bell dish / Telus PVR

My wife and I have just moved to northern BC. We have to use satelite as their is no cable here. We currently have Telus High speed internet/landline/and cells. We contacted Telus on four different occasions trying to get a bundling package including the new satelite TV. I have two HD Tvs and want to get a PVR and an extra HD Receiver. We were told from the uninformed Telus reps that there is no Telus Satelite service where we were moving HUH? I presumed there was no installers (no big deal Ill do it myself, having done installs before.) Still told no service in our area?

Has anyone else heard of this before?

Anyway I went to the bell store and bought a new HD dish and installed it.
Is it possible to get the telus PVR and another HD receiver using my new Bell dish seeing they are on the same satelite. I would prefer the Telus PVR features compared to Bells 9241.

Thanks.

Shel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-06, 12:17 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Telus satellite is nothing more than Bell TV rebranded so the equipment is identical.
Old 2010-05-06, 02:02 PM   #3
supergenius

As Hugh stated the hardware is exactly the same, and I believe Telus is using the 9241 as well. In this case, Bell would actually have an advantage with its Remote PVR service.
Old 2010-05-06, 04:27 PM   #4
Pinza
Veteran

Exactly as above, Bell use the 6131 and the 9241, guess what, so do Telus.

The dish will be fine but if you do find that you get Teus to install the receivers for you, theymight want or insist on changing the Dish to a Telus branded or black one.
Old 2010-05-09, 03:51 AM   #5
CR123
Rookie

TELUS Satellite TV is more of a 'in-house' service than Bell TV - if they don't have installers in your area, there's no service provided (no self-install option at this time). That being said, new communities are being added all the time, so check frequently... unless you're in a very remote area, in which case it may be a long time...)
Old 2010-05-14, 01:44 AM   #6
ae_collector

Do you know someone who lives in an area that Telus WILL do Satellite Installs? Get it installed there and then move the receivers to where you actually live if you are able to do the installs and repairs yourself.
Old 2010-08-02, 07:08 PM   #7
farmerjo
Rookie

Default telus on bell

Hi ,, I have a telus receiver and tried hooking it up to a working bell dish and it wont come in, is there anything I can do to make this work or do I need a telus installer to come and change out the dish to make it work?
Old 2010-08-02, 07:58 PM   #8
Pinza
Veteran

Then there is something wrong with the cable or something as the 2 use the exact same Satellite for the signals.

Start troubleshooting from the basics, cable/connectors, etc
Old 2010-08-02, 11:23 PM   #9
ae_collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjo View Post
Hi ,, I have a telus receiver and tried hooking it up to a working bell dish and it wont come in, is there anything I can do to make this work or do I need a telus installer to come and change out the dish to make it work?
You haven't indicated if the Telus Satellite receiver that you have is activated and otherwise working on an existing Telus dish somewhere.
Old 2010-08-03, 06:48 PM   #10
farmerjo
Rookie

ok I have the telus receiver and it is working fine,, my friend has bell and theirs is working fine, I take my receiver over to where the bell is working , hook up the receiver thinking it is still bell just in a different package but when I hooked it up it would not work. It searched for sat 91 then 82 then searched for the transponder. I let it search and nothing
Old 2010-08-04, 01:15 AM   #11
ae_collector

Okay, I would have thought that would work. I am not any sort of expert on BELL/Telus Satellite though. I don't know if there is some logical explanation as to why it wouldn't work besides incorrect connection. You removed the working Bell receiver and connected the working Telus receiver to the same cables? The Bell receiver is a fairly current model tha twould need an LNB similar t othe one Telus uses?
Old 2010-08-07, 03:42 PM   #12
CR123
Rookie

Have you ran a "Check Switch" on the TELUS receiver? It needs to know what kind of switch it's connected to. What are the results if you did?