Videotron: SA Explorer 8300HD with external HDD Discussion and Issues - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Videotron

Old 2010-07-09, 02:09 PM   #1
Hd8300
Rookie

Default Videotron: SA Explorer 8300HD with external HDD Discussion and Issues

Hi,

I have a 8300HD and a external hard disk Esata Appricorn. It worked fine for many months, until Videotron upgraded the OS of the machine. Since then, the new recording shows in the menu, but they dont play, unless they have been recorded in the inner hard disk. I called Videotron, we downgraded the OS, upgraded it, reboot many times, it did not work, I still experiment the same problem.

Any idea? I am thinking off taking the Apricorn disk and put it inside 8300Hd box. How do I do that?

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-07-09, 02:42 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

1. Sounds like a connection issue with the eHDD, or something wrong with the drive or enclosure since it'll play internal fine. Topic discussed extensively in the following thread. Read post 1 for starters.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773

2. You cannot use the SATA drive internally without an adaptor - discussed in the following thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94262

Suggest you use the appropriate Rogers threads for any further questions on i/eHDD even though you're with Videotron.

Check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search tips, optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

There's also a Videotron firmware thread where problems were discussed:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121986
Old 2010-08-24, 11:38 AM   #3
voteforpedro
Rookie

Default eHDD Sleep mode problem

Hello,

I just added an external hard drive a few days ago to my SA8300HD (I used a WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive, with a NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BL enclosure). When I set it up, the pvr detected the hd, and everything looked to be working perfectly, but now I am running into a problem every night when the pvr goes to sleep.

Every morning, when I go to check the space used on my pvr, it shows the percentage used on my internal hd, and I cannot play any of the recordings from my external hd. If I reboot the pvr, it detects the external hd and all my recordings work again. I'm guessing my HD goes into sleep mode during the night and the pvr never wakes it up or something. Has anyone else run into this problem, and knows how it can be fixed?

Thanks!
Old 2010-08-24, 11:55 AM   #4

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Suggest you check out the following thread in the Rogers forum on the eHDD. I don't recall this issue with the Black drives (some of the green ones had issues).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773

Videotron has different firmware from Rogers which might have an effect. Here's that firmware thread where some eHDD problems were discussed - check out the last few pages where people discuss eHDD issues (do two cold reboots and make sure you wait for the eHDD to "wake up" when you turn on the PVR were both mentioned there.)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121986
Old 2010-09-01, 08:15 PM   #5
aylmer_dad_31
Rookie

Default Add external HD to 8300HD+

I have an 8300HD+, and the internal disk is pretty much constantly full.

I want to add an external disk. Is it just a matter of buying pretty much any eSATA enclosure and a SATA disk, and plugging it in?

I searched the FAQ and such, but either the info seems to apply to the 8300HD (not sure how different the 8300HD+ is), and also some of those posts are quite old, and there is mention of a converter board, and not quite clear how that applies and such...

Thanks
Old 2010-09-01, 08:33 PM   #6
InMontreal

All old posts still apply. There's no difference between the 8300 and the 8300+ other than the size of the internal HDD (160Gb vs. 320Gb) that came with it when sold in stores.
Old 2010-09-01, 08:43 PM   #7
Jake

I would buy a 3.5" enclosure where you can return it if it does not work. The adapter is only for internal upgrades. Best to stay clear of that or just get the 500GB WD drive everyone is using internally. For external just about any enclosure will work if it does not have these features.

Power saving, backup, gauges
extra ports (firewire for example)
Seagate drives

I say all this but I have and many of us here have the 8300HD. I presume the PLUS only signifies an upgraded internal drive.

I have a 1GB internal but I am very lucky (in that it works) and would not recommend it to just anyone.
Old 2010-09-03, 10:50 PM   #8
romulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

I have a 1GB internal but I am very lucky (in that it works) and would not recommend it to just anyone.
Jake: May I ask which adapter and hdd that you used ?
Old 2010-09-04, 07:08 AM   #9
Jake

Startech IDE2SAT25 IDE to SATA bridge adapter
WD WD10EADS 1 GB Hard Drive (with pin 5-6 jumpered for 1.5Gbps)

You can follow the blow by blow account here. My post starts at #92.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94262
Old 2010-09-06, 09:30 PM   #10
aylmer_dad_31
Rookie

For EXTERNAL hard disks,

I know to get a WD "black" series hard drive.

is there a particular enclosure that is "recommended" or known to work?

Also, I recall reading in the FAQ that I need a SATA1-to-SATA2 cable....but there is also an eSATA cable...is that different?
Old 2010-09-06, 11:46 PM   #11
Jake

The SATA1 cable reference you saw is out of date. Now all enclosures use ESATA. All enclosures I have seen come with the correct cable (ESATA-ESATA) so there is no need to buy one. The WD Black series is a solid drive. A lot of people used the Vantec Nexstar ESATA/USB enclosures (NST-360SU).
Old 2010-09-10, 08:36 AM   #12
ErixSoleil
Rookie

Default Same issue External Drive

I have the same issue with my Western Digital drive, I can't read what was recorded on it and can record new shows but I'm not able to watch them. I had to unpluged it to find that the issue was with my external drive. This happen just after the last firmware upgrade for my 8300 recorder.
Old 2010-09-19, 06:34 AM   #13
EnderWiggin

How did you know it was an issue with your external drive?

I am now getting some corrupted recordings and wondering if my external WD HDD is starting to fail.
Old 2010-10-01, 03:28 PM   #14
JordanoS
Rookie

Default explorer 8300 hard drive add on when not PVR?

If I get the explorer 8300 regular terminal from videotron, or maybe the HD model, could I get a SATA compatible external hard drive to turn it into a PVR? Ive got a 1T external and wanted to know if I could save money on a PVR by just getting a regular terminal. Thanks
Old 2010-10-01, 03:35 PM   #15
JordanoS
Rookie

sorry I didnt mean the 8300 because thats PVR, I meant the non PVR models