Cogeco Complaint and Rant Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2008-10-21, 11:27 AM   #1
bigoranget
Veteran

Default Cogeco Complaint and Rant Thread

I may be moving into an area of Hamilton that is served by Cogeco. I am absouletly apauled the lack of HD available in such a big city.

This is the list of HD channels carried by Cogeco in Hamilton

Citytv
CTV
CBC
SRC
SUN TV
ABC
NBC
CBS
FOX
PBS
WGN
Discovery HD
TSN HD
Sportsnet HD
HD Net
TMN HD
Moviepix HD
PPV HD

This puts Cogeco in a distant 3rd in Hamilton compared to the other two cable companies that have operations in hamilton. Even Source Cable, which only served about 18, 000 homes has way more channels. What gives? How long could it possibly take to upgrade Hamilton? Have they even started to upgrade Hamilton yet? I noticed during the summer the eliminated 4 analog channels. I haven't seen anything major added since they did this.

Judging by other threads it appears Cogeco is also very slow in updating other areas of the province as well.
Old 2008-10-21, 03:11 PM   #2
bdoxtdator

It really is disgusting. So disgusting in fact that I've done my research and will be switching to Bell TV this week. I will be paying the same price for triple the amount of HD stations, and even a bunch of analog stations we don't have here in downtown Hamilton. It's hard to beat them for broadband though. Just the other day I was downloading at over 1 MegaBYTE per second.
Old 2008-10-21, 03:19 PM   #3
scrooloose
Veteran

I also live in Cogeco land and am equally disgusted with their HD line up. Fortunately there are much better alternatives unless you're in an apartment or condo. Also, Hamilton Mountain (some areas) is serviced by Mountain Cable, not Cogeco, and they seem to have a pretty good HD lineup. You might want to move there

-Mike
Old 2008-10-21, 03:37 PM   #4
mt99808

Iíve also been putting up with the same crap. Unfortunately for me the only thing I really watch is sports and with Bell to get even close to what Cogeco offers in the Super Sports pack is going to cost about $500 more per year. If Bell had anyone with a brain in their management team they would offer a similar sports package and appeal to a huge segment of the market that is fed up with Cogecoís pathetic HD offerings.
Old 2008-10-21, 08:06 PM   #5
sf.

I subscribed to digital cable + HD with Cogeco in Hamilton at the beginning of July and when I asked about the missing channels they told me my area will be upgraded soon. I called again in September and was told work was currently being done in my area and it should be finished by the beginning of Octorber because they don't do ANY upgrades in the winter. Needless to say, I haven't received any additional channels yet. I wish I could atleast get TSN2 in HD =\
Old 2008-10-22, 11:53 AM   #6
LJA

Thumbs down What drives me nuts

Is I am getting shows from global HD and E!HD subbed through the american HD channels, yet I don't get either on my HD lineup....
Old 2008-11-13, 10:44 PM   #7
soros
Rookie

Not many more HD channels here in Windsor.. and besides that, I don't know why I even bother subscribing to their HD services anymore. Most of the time I end up switching back to the standard-def channel because the audio on the hi-def channel cuts out... just cuts out, sometimes for just a second, sometimes for as long as 30 seconds.

Another problem with the hi-def channels is that the video (and audio) often lock up during sports... I wonder if this is intentional or something, it was particularly bad during the world series.

I might cancel the service if this nonsense keeps up through january.. it's testing my limits.
Old 2008-11-22, 01:23 AM   #8
angrycustomer
Rookie

I know this might take a little bit of time to figure out, but if done properly you can state your case and get the money you deserve back. I should note that it's probably a good idea to be nice to the person you are speaking to (not too nice), but show them you are angry but willing to come to an agreement.

1.) figure out how long you have been paying for the service you aren't getting.

2.) calculate how much they (Cogeco) owes you for not receiving the service offered which you are paying for.

3.) be precise and ready to back up your claims with numbers (times, dates, etc) when you call.

4.) if you are nice enough (i.e.: don't just scream at them telling them how much they suck, etc).. you can usually come to some kind of compromise on the situation and get your money back.

One thing tech service people don't like are a**holes... they can (and will) make sure you are their lowest priority, therefore making you wait even longer for a resolution.

Another note: try talking to neighbors who are or may be in the same situation as you. a lone person with problems may be overlooked, but if a whole neighborhood complains it may get done a little faster. If everyone starts demanding money back they will take notice.
Old 2009-02-08, 05:58 PM   #9
m00rb
Rookie

This is an old post but it is my problem exactly. Just wondering if other people have found this. I currently live in an apartment in hamilton and I get 12 HD channels and no video on demand. This is because Cogeco has not upgraded hamilton to digital. What it really means is that they have not upgraded buidlings in Hamilton to digital.

I also used to get Showcase, A&E, TSN2 and Raptors TV HD and Global HD and now I do not, their upper level technicians claim to be able to do nothing about this.

Cogeco basically laughs at me on the phone until I go away when I call. They know I have no other options so they just tell me "they're upgrading my area". I LIVE DOWNTOWN HAMILTON. I would think this was a major centre but I guess not. In my case they have 0 competition because not everyone can get a sattelite dish (facing wrong way), DSL is crap, and if you need sports the super sports pack which is actually semi ok (major problems with the guide for that thing which makes it unwatchable some days).

The reason I'm really posting this is because of the previously mentioned way of dealing with them. I did exactly this, I'm always very nice and I also calculated what they owed me. 1 third of my cable bill as I get 1 third of the required HD channels they advertise.

They laughed and made up some random numbers I rejected from their crappy customer service supervisor.

Finally they had a sales manager call me back (wow) and gave me 20 off my internet for 4 months. not wanting to deal with it anymore I reluctantly accepted and will 100% be cancelling cable with them the absolute minute I can. I am going to seriously look into OTA/FTA HD because Cogeco cannot offer much more anyways and I can't even get it where I live regardless!

Thanks for listening
Old 2009-02-08, 09:56 PM   #10
sf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00rb View Post
This is an old post but it is my problem exactly.
I also used to get Showcase, A&E, TSN2 and Raptors TV HD and Global HD and now I do not, their upper level technicians claim to be able to do nothing about this.
I'm also in downtown Hamilton (not a building) and I don't get these channels. I'd love to have TSN2 in HD
Old 2009-02-09, 04:44 AM   #11
sensualspirit

Does anyone know about KelCom?

They are in this area, but I don't know how reliable their service is, CSR, etc.

Anyone?

Thanks

Michelle
Old 2008-11-20, 04:38 PM   #12
angrycustomer
Rookie

Default Cogeco Complaint Thread

I am in Milton and for at least the past month, our Cogeco cable and internet service has been absolutely appalling. Cable television is constantly off and on and even when it's on, the quality is often quite bad yet internet seems to function most of the time (although it's not without it's ups and downs too)...

I have spoke with some of my neighbors and they have the same problems. It often takes cogeco up to 2 weeks to send a technician out to attempt to remedy the situation. When the technician leaves the problem seems fixed, then after a day or 2 goes by it's the same old story again.

Has anybody else had this bad of an experience dealing with Cogeco?? I am curious how many other people are having the same issues. I am really fed up with these jokers.
Old 2008-11-20, 04:46 PM   #13
hugh
Member #1

Truthfully, your comments seem out of the ordinary. The Cogeco forum certainly gets complaints but negative comments about service are quite out of the ordinary. Perhaps the problems are simply within your area?

Judging from your username though, I suspect you really just came here to vent.
Old 2008-11-20, 05:05 PM   #14
angrycustomer
Rookie

I can't disagree there's a little bit of venting in there, but I genuinely would like to know if this is happening to anyone else.
Old 2008-11-20, 06:26 PM   #15
mt99808

I am in Chatham and had nothing but terrible pixelated HD for the last 6 months. My internet speeds are about 2% of what they are supposed to be at times. When I called to complain they told me there is node congestion and nothing will be fixed until they upgrade some infrastructure. But that isn't scheduled to BEGIN until January of 2009. At the rate Cogeco works I'll be lucky if that is done by January 2010. They did give me a $40 credit for the next 12 months but thats besides the point. We entered into a contract where I pay them $44.95 a month (and they can raise the prices whenever they feel like it) and they agreed to provide me internet service at 10 mbps. Of course they throw in their disclaimer that speeds fluctuate but but 0.2 mbps is not "fluctuating". And throw in the Super Sports pack that they haven't fixed in 3 freaking years and ya there is a reason to be more than frustrated.