can u use BEV dish for SC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2007-12-27, 08:56 PM   #1
4issquared

Default can u use BEV dish for SC

I am moving to a house with an EV dish already on it, so can it just be re-aimed to use for SC? Would be nice not to have another set of holes drilled in the roof. thanx
4issquared is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-12-27, 09:41 PM   #2
BGY11
Veteran

Sadly an ExpressVu dish won't work with a Star Choice setup -- probably due to the different polarization methods.
BGY11 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-12-27, 09:56 PM   #3
scrooloose
Veteran

I believe the mast is the same on both dishes, so assuming you have line of sight to the SC birds from that location, you shouldn't need to install a new mast, just replace the dish.

-Mike
Old 2007-12-27, 10:46 PM   #4
i hate tv

If possible, I would have the new dish installed on something other than the roof
Roofing companies love satellite installers, as they do nice jobs creating leaks
In the spring, I would go up and have a closer look at it, just to make sure it is sealed properly, and not loose
Installers rarely hit a stud/joist in the roof, so the dish is being held by a piece of plywood 5/8' thick, or around there
Just something to scare you, jk, I would check it out
My fingers are crossed you have a sealed roof
i hate tv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-12-28, 10:12 AM   #5
mr weather
Veteran

You can use the mounting arm (mast) but you'll need a Star Choice specific dish.

Make sure you still have a good line of sight. ExpressVu and Star Choice satellites are about 25 degrees apart in the sky. Based on your location, the SC satellites will be up and to the right from the EVu ones (when looking from behind the dish).
mr weather is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-12-28, 11:57 AM   #6
4issquared

Thanks for your help. I will check the mount on the roof and then switch the dish with one from SC. Where I live, it has to be on the roof to clear the trees. thanx again. cheers
4issquared is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.