It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2006-08-24, 11:48 AM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default It's Official: MTS HD is now available

The following comes from a press release just issued.

To receive MTS HDTV service, customers must sign up with MTS TV, have an HDTV capable television, and purchase an RG3000 HD Residential Gateway for $349 plus taxes and $99 installation fee from MTS.

For only $4.99 per month customers can receive access to up to seven HD Channels including: CBC HD from Toronto (CBLT); ABC HD from Seattle (KOMO); CBS HD from Seattle (KIRO); FOX HD from Seattle (KCPQ); NBC HD from Seattle (KING); PBS HD from Seattle (KCTS); and Rogers Sportsnet HD.

As a special offer, MTS will waive the monthly service fee for customers who make a two year commitment to HDTV service.

In addition to enjoying the amazing picture and sound of HDTV, MTS TV customers can also enjoy great MTS Bundle savings. MTS High Speed Internet, MTS TV and MTS Mobility services can be bundled in any combination for savings of $10 or $15 a month.

Last edited by hugh; 2006-08-24 at 01:59 PM.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 11:49 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Channel Linup
The following was posted by tofurky in the old MTS HD thread and I reproduce here since folks will be asking.

51-CBC HD (CBLT)
52-ABC HD (KOMO)
53-CBS HD (KIRO)
54-FOX HD (KCPQ)
55-NBC HD (KING)
56- PBS HD (KCTS)
58 - Sportsnet HD

Frequently Asked Questions from MTS

Will I get a separate MTS High Definition TV bill?

No, the monthly charge will be added to your regular MTS bill.

How will Standard Definition programs appear on my High Definition TV?

How Standard Definition channels appear on your High Definition TV will be determined by how you adjust your settings on your HD Television. You may have the option of converting (stretching) the standard definition picture into widescreen format or viewing the program with black bars on each side of the program.

What types of outputs are available on the RG3000 High Definition Set Top Box?

The RG3000 High Definition Set Top Box has multiple outputs including: Component (YPbPr), Composite (CVBS), S-Video, Coaxial, and AC-3 Optical Audio.

Can I watch regular standard definition shows through my RG3000 Set Top Box?

Yes, both High Definition channels and Standard Definition channels can be viewed through the RG3000 High Definition Set Top Box. Changing channels between the two will be the same as changing between two Standard Definition channels.

How do I access On Demand Services through my MTS High Definition TV?

To access MTS On Demand Services such as MTS Video On Demand, MTS Weather On Demand, MTS Games On Demand, etc., you must switch to your Standard Definition set top box. Access to MTS On Demand Services using your RG3000 High Definition set top box will be available in the coming months.

Using your original TV remote control (not the MTS TV remote control), switch to the appropriate Video Source for the Standard Definition Set Top Box. If your Standard Definition Set Top Box is connected to your television set via a coaxial cable, you must switch to channel 4, 8, or 11. If your Standard Definition Set Top Box is connected to your television via S-Video or Composite (RCA) cable, you must switch to the Video input where it is connected.

The video input may have different labels depending on your TV set, but some common ones include: Video 1, Video 2, or AUX Your High Definition Set Top Box should be connected to your television set via Component cables. The Component input may have different labels depending on your TV set, but some common ones include: Video 1, Video 2, Component 1, Component 2, or AUX.

Last edited by hugh; 2006-08-24 at 02:02 PM.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 01:25 PM   #3
Dr.Dave

For anyone that's interested, news release link: mts.ca/news

More info at: mts.ca/hdtv

Installation is $99
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 02:20 PM   #4
sctb1

Why are most of the feeds from Seattle? Looking at the guide, primtime shows don't start until 10PM.
sctb1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 03:12 PM   #5
Dr.Dave

I believe MTSTV gets their content from Cancom (Shaw) and that's probably why they offer the same channel lineup as Shaw. I suspect they will probably add more HD channels later but didn't want to hold up the HD rollout while those negotiations took place.

BTW Hugh added the info from my previous post, making it redundant.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 03:45 PM   #6
Derfel

Well, that's not very competitive. Maybe I will be going Shaw after all... *sigh*
Derfel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-24, 03:54 PM   #7
magnet

Umm, Cancom doesn't have KOMO... They have to be getting it from Bell.
Old 2006-08-24, 04:02 PM   #8
Derfel

Well, I've already called Shaw and they sound ready to deal on the box and installation. Sweet.

EDIT: Nevermind, they aren't even willing to come close to dealing now that they've taken a look at the MTS package. Not competitive at all.

I'm going to wait and see if they release a better box soon with PVR and/or HDMI. No sense going with this and having to buy a better box later. Besides, the Seattle feeds is about the dumbest thing ever.

Last edited by Derfel; 2006-08-24 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2006-08-24, 06:25 PM   #9
Hairball

One thing that concerns me , is the STB is MPEG 2 . What kind of bit rates can they send down VDSL?
Old 2006-08-25, 06:37 PM   #10
westmanguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyclaytonmagnet View Post
Umm, Cancom doesn't have KOMO... They have to be getting it from Bell.
Umm, Cancom does have KOMO

http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affil...t/charts_e.asp <<go here, and download the excel file for: "Anik F1R Ku Band Frequency Chart - as of August 17, 2006"

KOMO Seattle is on there.
westmanguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-08-25, 06:58 PM   #11
bigoranget
Veteran

CANCOM does NOT have KOMO-DT but the DO have KOMO-TV, which is not High Definition

westmanguy,

I have no proof of anything, i'm merly speculating that MTS HD will surpass Shaw one day. Look how long it took for Shaw to get all 12 of those channels, they didn't exactly add them quickly. I have had more then 12 HD channels for about 2 years now through my local cable company (and its an independent cable system as well).

Shaw drags there feet on almost every type of new service. Since MTS TV has launched, they have been offering timeshifting, plus they have many SD channels that Shaw continues to not carry (PunchMuch, TVLand, Raptors TV, Military Channel, MuchMoreRetro etc.)
bigoranget is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-17, 07:50 PM   #12
Derfel

Default anyone actually go in for Mts Tv Hd yet?

Did anyone actually go in for this deal yet? Any reviews?

I'm torn - I want to stay with MTS, and I want to have HD - but to only have Seattle feeds? And to commit to what seems to be already outdated equipment? Ugh.
Old 2006-09-18, 11:47 AM   #13
Huffer

I sent an email to MTS asking them how they can expect anyone to pay for HD that is 3 hours later than most of us care to watch.

The response that I got is that these are just the launch channels and that they will be releasing some more over the next few months.

Take that with a huge grain of salt though, considering this is coming from a company who is arriving last to the HD game and offering the worst product.
Huffer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-18, 03:19 PM   #14
Derfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Take that with a huge grain of salt though, considering this is coming from a company who is arriving last to the HD game and offering the worst product.
Talked to a rep at Grant Park yesterday - he said TSN *might* be around by November, but for any other channel packages, we have to wait until the Grand Forks or Minneapolis feeds to start broadcasting HD, which by the sounds of it is no sooner than May 2007. Maybe.

No word on Discovery, A & E, etc. No good.

The STB is even worse - they don't forsee any ability for you to have SD on your HD box in this release, which means you'd have to buy a new box anyways.

None of this is swaying me to MTS. But I just can't give up the rest of my services.
Old 2006-09-18, 03:58 PM   #15
canada45

Oh my G-d, Derfel are you serious????? MTS is such a peice of crap, why would you wait, go and get some HD, to have a Plasma and get jerked arround by MTS is totally unbeleivable to me. Keep the rest with MTS and go to Shaw, Bell and yes StarChoice for your HD. Make a decision man!!!!!!! What do you do for a living? Were you talking to Shawn at GP? If so he is.........xodkldjdhfhflsd.

Did I understand right that the HD box does not do SD and you need 2 boxes? More reasons to dump MTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
canada45 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.