Movie Channels and DD5.1, OAR Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2005-12-27, 11:03 PM   #1
htimst

Default Movie Channels and DD5.1, OAR Discussion

Edit by 57. See post 66 (link below) for the feedback on this issue directly from Astral - they always request OAR and DD5.1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...474#post312474

I was dissapointed to find that Hellboy is airing in HD on MCHD, but not in 5.1. It's airing in 5.1 on MC and Adrenaline Drive, but not on MCHD. That just sucks! I recorded it hoping to really sit back and have a nice theatre experience. BAH!

Last edited by 57; 2006-01-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 2005-12-28, 05:54 PM   #2
Neild
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by htimst
I was dissapointed to find that Hellboy is airing in HD on MCHD, but not in 5.1. It's airing in 5.1 on MC and Adrenaline Drive, but not on MCHD. That just sucks! I recorded it hoping to really sit back and have a nice theatre experience. BAH!
I believe it was the same thing on the last rotation of Hellboy.

Too bad nobody at Movie Central is willing to take 5 minutes and contact the supplier and say "Send us the proper master with 5.1"

Until the government monopoly on these channels is broken, we can expect to see quality-related problems like this since there's little disincentive when a channel like Movie Central drops the ball on something.
Old 2005-12-28, 06:00 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Be aware that sometimes the studio will not send the DD5.1 HD version, even when MC/TMN requests it.

My contact at TMN-HD says they always request the OAR and DD5.1 version, but often cannot get it.
Old 2005-12-28, 11:09 PM   #4
Neild
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
Be aware that sometimes the studio will not send the DD5.1 HD version, even when MC/TMN requests it.

My contact at TMN-HD says they always request the OAR and DD5.1 version, but often cannot get it.
I'm aware, but it's still baloney that they take the insufficient response as acceptable. If they sent the Spanish track instead of English it would be corrected. If they sent the wrong movie it would be corrected. It seems like MC and TMN are just too lazy or weak to follow through on this.

There's a hundred ways to deal with such a situation, and personally I'd love to be brought in to troubleshoot it. What I'd probably do is slip a clause in the agreement that says if the proper requested audio is not provided, then payment won't be either.

After 2 or 3 times the studio realizes they aren't receiving payment due to the laziness of some worker, someone in the management structure will be held accountable. That person will either take steps to make sure it never happens again, or whomever replaces them will know that's the reason their predecessor was fired.

Consumers can't just tell MC that "yeah I know you requested full payment this month but I'm going to send you some reduced version of my payment..." so why should MC be allowed to provide a half-*** version? And why should the studio be allowed to?

It all comes down to accountability. A problem like this happens when 2 parties aren't held accountable (1-the studio for sending the wrong master and 2-MC for accepting the wrong master)
Old 2005-12-29, 01:56 AM   #5

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The studios originally had copyright concerns regarding HD video sent "off-shore" (Canada was so considered). Once we explained that we were not some third world country, they did start sending more and more DD5.1 HD movies.

Unfortunately we are such a small market that we have little leverage and if we don't want to play by "their" rules, then they'll simply not play...
Old 2005-12-29, 01:29 PM   #6
Neild
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
The studios originally had copyright concerns regarding HD video sent "off-shore" (Canada was so considered). Once we explained that we were not some third world country, they did start sending more and more DD5.1 HD movies.

Unfortunately we are such a small market that we have little leverage and if we don't want to play by "their" rules, then they'll simply not play...
This is pure speculation that doesn't hold up to a common sense check. If the studios supposedly had these concerns about HD video coming to Canada, then why are they happily sending the proper video but not audio? And why are they happy to send proper 5.1 audio with the low def versions?

I see this as a case of trying to invent a complex excuse for something that really doesn't deserve one.

Furthermore, despite the nature of many Canadians' smug self-satisfied attitude towards Americans, there is no way we had to explain to them that we're not an off-shore third world country. Americans are far smarter than you give them credit for. And when it comes to this subject matter, Hollywood is acutely aware of Canada.

I'm also going to ask you back up your claim that the studios would boycott Canada if we "don't wan't to play by their rules". Just tell us ONE (or more if know them) American studio release that hasn't come into Canada because of this.

If you are indeed passing along the attitude of your friend at TMN, it perfectly explains why we continue getting slipshod service from them. If their own employees have pre-conceived notions that the problem can't be fixed, well it's no wonder the problem isn't being fixed. They obviously aren't even trying, having expended most of their effort coming up with creative excuses why such a simple problem is actually impossible to solve.