6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-06-06, 05:02 PM   #1
SD 630 Support

Arrow 6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012

Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630) will be updated from Current Version 06.22 to 07.33.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting June 6. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete. If you like, you can start the download manually by selecting "Start Download" in OPTIONS 4-7.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming weeks.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, as long as you are coming from 06.22.

What's new in this version?
The overall look/feel of the system is unchanged with this version. 07.33 contains a variety of minor updates and enhancements, along with enabling set-top Video On Demand, delivered via your high-speed internet connection. Many of the enhancements have been suggested by our customers and staff!

Other highlights include:
  • Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer. Channel, duration, and frequency can all be adjusted to automatically tune to your favourite program. Access via MENU --> Reminders --> Auto-tune (HDDSR) or MENU --> PVR --> Manual Timer (HDPVR).
  • Note: The entire duration is considered when setting manual auto-tunes and will create conflicts. Priority can be adjusted accordingly depending on your preferences.
  • Faster Guide, Search, and PVR List Performance - Optimizations have been made and Guide and PVR List should now be noticeably faster to load and navigate.
  • Info Screen Enhancements - Long episode titles will now wrap to the next line; premiere/finale information is displayed on the "More Info" tab; and the HDTV icon has been shortened to HD.
  • HDPVR 630 Enhancements, including - Programs older than 30 days now list the month instead of the day in the PVR List; an hourglass icon now appears in the Guide when scheduling one-time recordings via the REC button; more consistent trickplay performance during recording playback.
  • Guide Loading/Guide Backup Changes - HDDSR units now maintain a 24-hour mini-backup of the Guide. Full data will still reload in <30 minutes following a reset or flush. HDPVR units will no longer display the "Loading" message when the Guide is being backed up.
  • Caller ID - Changes have been made to Caller ID which should yield more consistent performance in "marginal" locations with weak ring voltage or lots of noise on the line.

More details will be provided on Shaw Direct On Demand in the coming days!
Old 2012-06-06, 08:47 PM   #2
Jimmy49ERS

i guess no external HD for the receiver 605

WoW that being behind times
Old 2012-06-06, 11:01 PM   #3
Krydor

Not a very exciting update. The only way I'm wiring up my house with more Cat-5 is if there's a whole home PVR.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:50 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630)
Will this also be the firmware on the new Shaw Direct PVR coming later this year?
Old 2012-06-07, 08:26 AM   #5
HowieDoin

I have 2 X 630, 1 605, and 1 600 in my house...seems only one of the 630's updated so far...I only point this out to show that it clearly doesnt go by account.....
Old 2012-06-07, 09:20 AM   #6
TyHe

Question 6xx softwear update

I hope ,or should I say my wife, hopes that the update will include a way to deleate a group of recorded programs rather then having to do them individually. She has a habit of not deleating a program after watching it so when she finally gets around to doing it, it takes a little time.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:10 PM   #7
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHe View Post
I hope ,or should I say my wife, hopes that the update will include a way to deleate a group of recorded programs rather then having to do them individually. She has a habit of not deleating a program after watching it so when she finally gets around to doing it, it takes a little time.
Not in 07.33, but we're looking at options like this in the future!

As always, the PVR is still self managing and will automatically delete the oldest unprotected recordings, so you'll never miss out on new stuff being recorded.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:17 PM   #8
TJ77
Veteran

What about the HD guide that my latest bill mentions?
Old 2012-06-07, 09:10 AM   #9
Ouser

Hi Hugh-

You cant throw out "new Shaw Direct reciever" like that without some more breadcrumbs!

Are you referring to knowledge of the rumoured 'whole home' receiver? Does that mean they have given up on linking the 630's to the 600's?

Yikes- another new box to buy....
Old 2012-06-07, 09:15 AM   #10
Billy34

one tech agent said, 2 background fixes in this latest firmware update address the issue that recordings older than 6 months will no longer cause issues??... Also, when the harddrive reaches 70% or more full, it will no longer cause playback/recording problems??
Anyway thats what I was told...

has anyone else noticed that the guide only displays 12 days in advance instead of the advertised 14 days ahead...
Old 2012-06-07, 12:07 PM   #11
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy34 View Post
has anyone else noticed that the guide only displays 12 days in advance instead of the advertised 14 days ahead...
Hi Billy34,

Looking at the Guide today, I see data for:

Thursday June 7 (Day 1)
Friday June 8 (Day 2)
Saturday June 9 (Day 3)
Sunday June 10 (Day 4)
Monday June 11 (Day 5)
Tuesday June 12 (Day 6)
Wednesday June 13 (Day 7)
Thursday June 14 (Day 8)
Friday June 15 (Day 9)
Saturday June 16 (Day 10)
Sunday June 17 (Day 11)
Monday June 18 (Day 12)
Tuesday June 19 (Day 13)
Wednesday June 20 (Day 14)

Data ends at 6:00pm MT as expected on the 14th day (June 20). Is this what you're seeing right now?
Old 2012-06-08, 02:21 PM   #12
Bayguy

"Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer."

Yay!!

We have some shows that we tape every week b'cuz were out that night and we were very surprised (and disapointed) when we got our 605 and found out we had to go into the guide over and over to choose a program. Even our old VCRs are smarter than that! This will be much better.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:46 PM   #13
jbobh

Default Underwhelmed as well

First I would say that my 630 has been working pretty well. The only continuing problem has been reboots. For the most part I have only lost one or two recordings which I was able to get later. However they do occur once a week to once every 2 weeks.

The only difference I have noticed with this update is the VOD.

I connected the 630 using my D-Link Wireless N Pocket Router and Access Point. I have that plugged into my Pioneer reciever which allows me to control the receiver with an iOS or android device. I unplugged it from the Pioneer and plugged it into the 630 and the 630 was connected to my network with no problem. That's because it was already configured to work on my network.

However the one program I tried in SD the picture quality was pathetic. I tried a game of thrones episode which was constantly freezing in HD. I had enough speed so that shouldn't have been happening. I went back a little later and it worked fine. Picture quality was fine as well.

The content is pretty scarce and I doubt that I would use it much.

I certainly wouldn't rent a movie on it and the free stuff is pretty limited at this time.

Bob
Old 2012-08-20, 07:03 PM   #14
envirogeek

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Default PVR630 firmware release cycle, and next release questions

We are coming up to 2 years since the 630 shipped.

I've gone back through the posts regarding 630 firmware releases and it appears the development cycle was 6 months until this last release.

00.13 upon initial release
04.06 Feb 16, 2011
06.22 Aug 30, 2011
07.33 June 2012

Here are my questions.

Will anyone from Shaw Direct acknowledge that 07.33 introduced new bugs which have made the unit unstable?

Will they confirm that Shaw Direct considers these new bugs important enough that they are accelerating their normal 6 to 10 month development cycle to fix the bugs introduced in 07.33?