Getting Comcast Xfinity - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-01, 10:16 PM   #1
thenewdc
Veteran

Default Getting Comcast Xfinity

Yes, I'm now recieving the full lineup for Comcast Xfinity here in Toronto. Watching it on a 46" Samsung Tv. I've been wanting to set this up for ages. I was just down in Florida and set up a Slingbox at a relatives home. His upload speed is 5mbs, so the quality is terrific. In fact the SD channels are equal in quality to what Rogers has. Mind you, I hate the Xfinity IPG, and On-demand interface. I'll try to post some screen shots here when i have a chance.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:48 PM   #2
IanJames

I love it! What does HD look like?
Old 2012-05-02, 08:41 AM   #3
thenewdc
Veteran

I'm not using the HD Slingbox, only the SOLO for now. I think you really need about a 10Mb/s upload for decent HD. I'm seeing just under 5Mb/s on my connection, but that's perfect for SD quality.

Here is a link to a video I uploaded http://youtu.be/0dYFaVm2Psw
Old 2012-05-02, 08:34 PM   #4
tofinoguy

Looks like the on screen remote is a PIA to use.
Might be good to have as a backup but I certainly won't be rushing to cancel my satellite and hookup something similar with my family in the US as a primary distribution method.

Incidentally, despite all the complaining about Canadian networks covering up program graphics with logo bugs, it looks like American networks are no better - the TNT bug was superimposed over the credits.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:58 AM   #5
thenewdc
Veteran

Actually the on-screen remote is no more of a PIA than a hand held remote IMHO. This setup may not be for everyone who wants U.S. programming, but technically it's not been proclaimed or proven in law as illegal to do so for private use, and you can access the programming from any Wi-fi over any computer or laptop, and in my case on my big screen tv. If you have a willing friend or relative, it won't cost you anything other than the purchase of the hardware.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:40 PM   #6
Attawapiskat
Rookie

Talking Hey, good for you

Great to hear your Comcast Xfinity is working out. And your Slingbox Solo too.