Is this Digital FM Transmitter Allowed In Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2012-04-12, 09:29 PM   #1
fuff
Rookie

Default Is this Digital FM Transmitter Allowed In Canada?

hi there im new so sorry if i posted in the wrong section.hi there i brought a 5W Stereo PLL Digital FM Transmitter \ Mini FM Radio Station and i was wondering is it illegal or legal to use that? i just brought it for home use so i can hear music/others through out the whole house. and if its not allowed would i need to buy a license?( this is for canada, BC)

thanks in advance!
Old 2012-04-13, 01:05 PM   #2
Jake

Welcome to Canada and Digital Home fuff. We have quite a few members here that are quite knowledgeable on this topic and you should have an answer shortly. If you could give us the model number of the device it would be helpful.
Old 2012-04-13, 03:44 PM   #3
mr weather
Veteran

5 watts would be way too powerful. I'm not sure of the specific regulations but I believe it's about 1/10 of that.
Old 2012-04-13, 04:16 PM   #4
Arthur Dent
Veteran

I also don't remember the exact figures, but 5W is way too high. About 10 years ago I had an FM extender like this, and I had to open the box to increase the power beyond the licensed value (I think it was less than 0.5 W). Not by much, though, it didn't help a great deal.
Anyway, is there any particular reason an iPod with a dock streaming from iTunes on a computer cannot serve the same purpose, plus many more? That surely is legal.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:33 PM   #5
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Some questions for you

Make and model number please? We can look up the specs with that info. No need to post a link.

Are there any approval stickers on the back from Canadian regulators? If not, the owner's manual should say right near the front whether it complies with any Canadian regulations.

When you say FM transmitter, are you also referring to the 88-108MHz band? Where are you in B.C.? The 88-108MHz FM dial is packed in the Lower Mainland so since it kicks out 5 watts(!) and the multiplication factor of a good, high antenna would yield a pretty powerful signal (you would be able to cover a medium sized city!) there's no way you could fire it up without authorization. If that's what you really want you would need a certificate from Industry Canada for starters and you might even need a further license with that much power.

Are you sure it outputs 5 watts and not .5 or .05 watts?

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-04-13 at 08:50 PM.
Old 2012-04-14, 02:46 AM   #6
fuff
Rookie

hello the fm transmitter is: 5W Stereo PLL Digital FM Transmitter

heres the spefications:
* Power supply voltage: DC-15V (12V recommended)
* Current work: <1.5A
* Frequency range: 87 ~ 108.5Mhz
* Frequency Step value: 0.1MHz
* Frequency stabilization way: PLL
* Frequency stability: ▒ 10 ppm (-10 ░ C +60 ░ C )
* Frequency Modulation: ≤ ▒ 75kHz (100%)
* Work methods: continuous work
* Clutter and Harmonic: less than-60dB
* SNR: ≥ 60dB
* Stereo separation:-50dB
* Audio frequency response: 20 to 15000Hz
* Audio distortion: <2%
* Modulation: 15%
* Input Level:-15dBV
* RF output impedance: 50 Ohm
* Unit dimensions: length of 105mm, 65mm width, and height of 27mm
* ATTENTION: Never power on the transmitter for a long time when an antenna is not connected.
This FM transmitter used ROHM BH1415F to design and high-speed CPU AVR to control, it’s completed by Patch components welded together, which making the internal circuitry beautiful, simple and in good nature. Frequency of 87-108 is the default setting.

i saw it on ebay incase you guys are wondering. for certifcation how much would it cost??and how would i go about with that??
im kinda of a noob when it comes to this stuff >.<
Old 2012-04-14, 08:14 AM   #7
ShawnD

You are looking for RSS-210.

Even if you are within these limits you are not allowed to interfere with a licensed station.

Here is the relavent part:
Quote:
A2.8 Band 88-108 MHz
The field strength shall not exceed 250 microvolts/m measured at 3 metres with an average meter. Any
type of modulation (and carrier frequencies within the band 88-108 MHz) may be used for this category.
The occupied bandwidth shall not exceed 200 kHz.
Outside the 200 kHz band (as well as outside the 88-108 MHz band), the general field strength limits
listed in RSS-Gen apply.
If the audio input signal is audio and the transmitter is frequency modulated, compliance with the above
requirements shall be demonstrated by modulating the transmitter with a 2.5 kHz tone at a level 16 dB
higher than that required to produce a frequency deviation of 75 kHz, or 50 % of the manufacturer’s
rated deviation, whichever is less.

Last edited by ShawnD; 2012-04-14 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Add a note
Old 2012-04-14, 09:11 AM   #8
Jake

Fuff, It seems the conclusion is it is too powerful and it is not in a band that is typically licensed for home use.

Here you will find a few suggested models purchased and used by our members.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97903
Old 2012-04-15, 01:38 PM   #9
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default No-name black box transmitter and antenna

I used the search term "5W Stereo PLL Digital FM Transmitter" on e b a y and found that these are no-name black box units advertised with the punch line "Build your own FM stereo radio station!" so I would think that there is a certain element of the population who might use such a device for unauthorized broadcasting. The input is via a standard male-male audio cable as used in headphone jacks of consumer audio players like the iPod.

The photos of the box itself show no FCC/IC stickers or UL/CSA/CE approvals, although the bottom is not pictured, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to see them there. The only sticker is a Chinese manufacturer's inspection label. Only the external power supply has approvals since it is a commonly sourced model not from this manufacturer.

The recommended antenna for this unit was found by using the search term "GP antenna" on e b a y, which provided a link to a "1/4 wave Professional GP Antenna BNC or NJ 26ft.cable" with specifications provided.

Anyone want to take a rough guess at what the radiated power calculation of this transmitter/antenna combination might be, and a guess at what it's propagation might be from, say, a height of 20 feet?

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-04-15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 05:41 PM   #10
frenchhomer

Stampeder, depends on buildings terrain etc. A few years back in our area a community radio station was in the planning, we did a few broadcasts for a few weeks during festival time in the summer. We used a 10 watt stereo transmitter and the range was a good 20 km with height of antenna about 10 meters ( was attached to a flag pole). So yes a 5 watt transmitter has a good range. Mind you this was in the country so in the city it would be reduced a bit. cheers
Old 2012-04-16, 02:36 AM   #11
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep I'm familiar with the effects of HAAT, radiation centre on tower, surrounding topography, etc. so I'm just asking about ballpark guesses and yours fits the bill just fine!
Old 2012-04-16, 02:57 AM   #12
fuff
Rookie

stampeder, so accroding to ur research i can use it?? so pretty much i just wasted money?
Old 2012-04-16, 07:53 AM   #13
BGY11
Veteran

Correct - that transmitter would be too powerful.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:26 AM   #14
FrankTurbo

no you can not use that transmiter, for home use.