Rogers Modems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2012-01-27, 01:49 PM   #1
wozman

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4
Default Rogers Modems

Been a life long member with Rogers

Currently have there EXPRESS Internet service, with there "Standard Modem" connected to a Linksys Wireless G Router, to give me internet service around the house, with the help of Powerline networking to some rooms and some devices using wireless.

Devices connected:
Main Desktop PC
Secondary PC
PS3
HTPC
iPad2
Laptop
iPhone 4

Would i noticed a performance increase if I swapped the "Basic Modem" to one of the following?
1) Wireless G Gateway
2) Wireless N Gateway (I know this only works well if you have "N" capability with your network cards etc.

Is it worth the "up charge" on the rentals for these units, Or would I be better off upgrading my package from Express to Extreme? instead....or do both....

Price increases really thro a wrench into things now anyways.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 57; 2012-01-27 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Robbers comment deleted
wozman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-27, 06:10 PM   #2
timlocke

I went from express to extreme. Changed from a super reliable Motorola modem and my own Linksys wrt54G to a Cisco 3825 "home gateway" with wireless N and 4 gigabit Ethernet ports. I used the cisco for a few days then put it into bridge mode and bought a new dlink router with wireless n.

Extreme IS faster than Express so that's a good thing. I am not convinced that the cisco is all that good a modem but I don't think that Rogers supports a proper stand alone DOCSIS 3 modem. I don't know why... money must be in there somewhere.

I suspect that if you just upgrade to your 1) or 2) choices that you might get the SMC gateway which everyone has said is a poor piece of gear or the cisco 3825 running as a DOCSIS II modem.

Does Teksavvy offer service over Rogers cable in your area? That might be the best option.
timlocke is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-04, 06:49 PM   #3
viper359

The SMC modem is hell. Do not use the Rogers software to install your modem. Do it yourself, and access the firmware from a web browser and set up your wireless, port forwarding, etc needs on your own. It takes some time, but you will eventually get it up and running well. My household LAN can transfer between 300-1000 Gigs a month, usually with no real connection problems, or freezes. A lot of this is streaming in the 20+ MB/s range. Wireless is bridged with another router on the 02nd floor to allow seamless transition from one router to another. No major wireless signal issue, but I find the SMC actually has better coverage in my house than three other Linksys ones I have tried bridging with it.

Don't expect a nice user interface. Its crap. Network logs and stats are also crap. It is basically an overpriced switch. One problem I did have for months, which Rogers was useless fixing, but SMC was very helpful and I think fixed it, as it has not happened in some time, is having multiple TX1000 and TX100 connections all working at the same time. Sometimes, there would minor or major packet loss, other times, the network would just freeze up and a reboot of modem was needed.

Do your research on your other switches and routers. See if there are any complaints etc. Some seem to work with no issue, others need minor tweaks etc. It does the job, but buying this thing is just a rip off price.
viper359 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-04, 07:05 PM   #4
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

I have Extreme with the older DCS 2 Modem. I know I need DCS 3 Modem.(to get the faster speeds)
I also have it hooked up to a D-Link router.

Its wired not wireless(don't need this)

If I where to get the DCS 3 modem, would I only need to just unplug the powe cord, cable and cable going to the router exchange the DCS 2 to DCS 3 and just hook up back the cable, power cord and the cord to the router and just use the computer again? like before.
MCIBUS is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 03:25 PM   #5
MichelR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
If I where to get the DCS 3 modem, would I only need to just unplug the powe cord, cable and cable going to the router exchange the DCS 2 to DCS 3 and just hook up back the cable, power cord and the cord to the router and just use the computer again? like before.
If you want to keep using your own router, you'll have to phone Rogers tech support and ask them to put the DOCSIS 3.0 modem in bridge mode. That's what I did and that took only a few minutes. I did try using the SMC router at first, but it didn't take me long to realize I was dealing with crap. I have not had any problems with it - I think the complaints are usually about its router "capability" (or "incapability") as opposed to just the modem part.
MichelR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-27, 01:00 AM   #6
wozman

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4

Well I got a call from retention the other day, and they are offering me the upgrade to the Wireless N Gateway, from my existing Standard Modem (webstar Scientific Atlanta) + my Linksys Wireless G Router, free of charge for a YEAR. No annual rental fees.

Should I jump on this?

Will I notice faster speeds with the new Hardware? My current setup has been flawless and fine, but i do pay rental for the Standard Modem, this way I would be saving the money on that. Plus getting Wireless N.

I currently am on the "EXPRESS" plan, and am also thinking about upgrading to the "EXTREME" plan if I go with this new Hardware from Rogers.

Your Thoughts?
Any info greatly appreciated.....

Are these all-in-one Modem/Routers from Rogers any good? I believe that they will be needed if I choose to go with the "Nextbox 2.0 in the future correct.
wozman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-14, 01:58 AM   #7
lucretius

In reply to an earlier message ... you can login to the DPC3825 web interface and put the device into bridge mode yourself; you do not need to call Rogers.
Old 2012-08-30, 10:58 AM   #8
CJ Bob
Rookie

This thread has been very helpful, I want to upgrade my modem from D2 to D3 (I have Express) and put it in bridge mode since I already have a wireless N router.

Given this is there any reason to buy the "N" router from Rogers at $199? I assume I should get the "G" for $99 since I'm not using the wireless anyway? Are there any other differences between the 2 modems? I'll send a note to Rogers Tech as well but I trust you guys more than them :-)

Thanks for any help.
CJ Bob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-08-30, 09:29 PM   #9

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Check out the last few pages of the following thread on the D3 modems. Note that the N is $149. I purchased it to avoid obsolescence and didn't hear great things about the G.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...92#post1430792
Old 2012-09-12, 11:43 AM   #10
CJ Bob
Rookie

Thanks 57, I picked up the N modem for $149, called to place in bridge mode so I could keep using my router and the change went very smoothly.
CJ Bob is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.