A la carte channels? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2011-12-28, 01:09 PM   #1
Alan13446
Rookie

Default A la carte channels?

OK, so after many years on basic analog cable, I bought a Motorola 6200 yesterday to get some of the free HD channels...not bad...works.
Girlfriend wanted to watch some of her channels which here in Fergus is in the 25 - 55 range, TLC, HGTV, Bravo...those fall under the "Digital Value Pack Channels" group, for another $26/month...a reason why I never subscribed, I dont watch them and had no reason to pay $300/year extra for them....I dont watch sports, no kids, didn't see the point.

I was told by the Cogeco rep at Burlington Mall that I could get 10 a la carte specialty channels for an additional $9.99....great, we thought...we can get her TLC and HGTV and Bravo, and add on G4TechTV, Space and Comedy and National Geographic, BBC, etc....

So I called them and first thing they said was that I could not get TLC and HGTV, etc, because they were part of the "Digital Value Pack Channels" group, so I would be forced to spend the extra $26/month, and pick the a la carte from the theme packs...

I asked about that, and mentioned that since the 6200 was adressable and in the 900's, why not turn on those channels only....

The rep said that the trap in my line prevented those channels from coming in and a tech would need to come out and remove the trap...so I took the 6200 to a neighbour that I know gets the 900's including TLC and HGTV etc...and we reset the unit and I received exactly the channels I was supposed to receive....no trap on the line and nothing showed up between 25 and 55, or in the 900's....it was as if I was still at home...his box worked fine, all the channels came in....

So, the line trap is not an issue....the 6200 is not set up to receive the "Digital Value Pack Channels" group....so why do I need to sub for that group for an extra $26, and why can't I simply add 6 channels from that group and 4 from the Theme packs to round it up to the 10 a la carte for $9.99??
Old 2011-12-28, 02:56 PM   #2
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

^^^^^^ Try this experiment....

Try his box at your location since you're both neighbours. It will answer some questions about whether the 900's (the normal 2-125 analogue stream) are actually filtered.

We had a 6200 on a free preview but took it back. It was just too huge, ate up +- 60w whether on or off, and if we wanted to buy it, at the time would have been approximately $350. No thanks.

We kinda thought, $60 isn't bad, but that is being redirected into fine-tuning the OTA distribution in the apartment. :-)

Cameron
Old 2011-12-28, 06:26 PM   #3
Alan13446
Rookie

neighbours 6200 gets the 900's...all of them.....so not the line...