Cogeco 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-24, 12:36 PM   #1

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Default Cogeco 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion

This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Cogeco in 2012.

This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming or investigating what is available on Cogeco.
Old 2012-01-25, 11:52 PM   #2
DeViLzzz
Rookie

Default What are the fees for cancelling services ?

Seriously I am thinking about cancelling certain services and possibly all services related to tv and I am wondering what the penalty fees for everything are at this point. I find it really hard to be paying for cable service and premium channels when I am not getting all the games listed for different sports and I also don't understand the point of having a PVR when you can't record the games cuz the channels the games are on keep getting switched the day of the game or the minute they come on. I am tired of setting it to record a game and then having it appear elsewhere on another channel and all I get recorded is something I did not want or intend to record. I came home once and it was recording a screen with the NBA schedule on it or something .... nice ...
Old 2012-11-11, 07:53 AM   #3
Jim9guitars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLzzz View Post
Seriously I am thinking about cancelling certain services and possibly all services related to tv and I am wondering what the penalty fees for everything are at this point.
I cancelled my entire Cogeco service several months ago and was not charged any fees, in fact, they counted the days left at the end of the 30 day period and only charged me for the days I was still connected for that last month. It was the easiest transaction I had with them!? I only looked at this thread to see if they had announced any new budget package that actually made sense. We don't miss it at all and are living much more active lives now. We get some TV with a little indoor digital antenna and catch our favorite shows online when we want. Of course this is easy for us because nobody here is interested in watching sports.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:21 PM   #4
peterweb

Default Rate Adjustments for July 1, 2012

Oh Goodie. New rates coming.

No mention of any increases to bandwidth caps, or anything else noteworthy. Only bright point I see is no more HD fee.

Check this http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resid...adjustment.php

Sony KDL-46W5100,Pioneer VSX-516k, Pace RNG200N PVR, Cogeco
Old 2012-04-24, 02:22 PM   #5
jeffaustin90

So most packages are increasing $2, but we lose the HD fee of $6. So overall we are saving $4. Good.
Old 2012-04-24, 03:16 PM   #6
tallen
Rookie

Actually if you look at it, cable increases $2, internet increases $2 and home phone increases $3 so it actually costs $1 more.

So yes save $4 on cable, but they still get the extra money from you. Plus they have been known to waive the $6 HD fee for unhappy customers like me so I wouldn't have to pay it until October anyway. Therefore my bill will increase the full $7 on July 1st.

That is of course if you subscribe to all 3 services
Old 2012-04-24, 03:34 PM   #7
peterweb

I too had the HD fee waived for some reason.
It would be nice to see something for the extra $$$

Sony KDL-46W5100,Pioneer VSX-516k, Pace RNG200N PVR, Cogeco
Old 2012-04-24, 10:42 PM   #8
TheRizzo
Rookie

Well I think this will officially make me go with Start for Internet, and either Bell or Shaw Direct in my building for TV.

These increases are getting to be to much for me. Especially when the quality of the HD is absolute crap. And the caps for the internet are very low, and not increasing even with the extra $2 again.
Old 2012-06-21, 07:50 PM   #9
swn81
Rookie

Default hd basic question

Hi, I'm thinking about dropping down on my tv package. Currently I have HD Digital Select 1 w/ Sports, but there are so many channels that I don't watch like most of the SD channels, E!, HGTV, etc. I would like to save a lot of money by dropping down to HD Basic. I know that on July 1, they are eliminating the HD Access Fee, so I'm wondering if with HD Basic if I will still get something like TSN in HD.

Currently you need at least Value pack for that but it should really be available with Basic since the SD is. Just wondering if it was possible to have HD Basic, plus pay the $6 HD Access for extra HD channels without all the Value pack SD nonsense. So now, without the access fee, would TSN HD come with Basic??

Also, is it possible to subscribe to HD Premium (Discovery+Oasis) if you're only on Basic? Thanks.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:57 PM   #10
waterug

I just took a look at COGECO's programming brochure online. You don't get much HD for the HD Basic package-mostly networks. You have to go further down in the programming options (can't remember their names but it involves more money) to get TSN HD and then further down into another package to get TSN2 HD. If you want to add Discovery and Oasis (both excellent channels in HD by the way), then it will cost you another $12. I should point out the programming brochure on their web site is hopelessly out of date so you may have to give them a call. You don't say what you are currently getting, but once you start cherry-picking channels, you usually end of paying more. It's simply a fact of life, it doesn't matter who your provider is, that you always have to pay for stuff you don't want just to get what you do want! You can thank the CRTC for that. Hope this helps!
Old 2012-06-22, 12:51 PM   #11
bobmckenzie123
Rookie

Default hd basic + a la carte

I've been in a similar boat as SWN81. I'm moving at the end of July and I need phone/internet/tv for my new place. I've been leaning towards the hd basic package with cogeco vs Bell's 'good' package mostly because of price, but the fact that Bell's offering a free HD PVR and that TSN HD comes with their 'good' package is making my decision hard.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to get a straight answer on what exact channels does Cogeco offer 'a la carte'? Also another question that just struck me is the Video on Demand with cogeco offered in both SD and HD?

Thanks,
Old 2012-06-22, 01:00 PM   #12
jamcan

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmckenzie123 View Post
I've been in a similar boat as SWN81. I'm moving at the end of July and I need phone/internet/tv for my new place. I've been leaning towards the hd basic package with cogeco vs Bell's 'good' package mostly because of price, but the fact that Bell's offering a free HD PVR and that TSN HD comes with their 'good' package is making my decision hard.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to get a straight answer on what exact channels does Cogeco offer 'a la carte'? Also another question that just struck me is the Video on Demand with cogeco offered in both SD and HD?

Thanks,
No, Cogeco currently only has SD offerings on their "sub par" Video On Demand service
Old 2012-06-22, 01:13 PM   #13
proudcanadian

cogeco offers hd on demand currently only global has hd on on demand
Old 2012-09-25, 05:47 PM   #14
crockett18

Default Price Match

Does anyone have any experience with Cogeco and price matching. I iwas looking at MNSi's offer of $59.95 for High speed and home phone. Not a promotion, but the regular price.

Just wondering if there is anyone department I should talk to.

Thanks
Old 2012-09-26, 08:02 AM   #15
jamcan

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii
Default Price Match

Are you a current Cogeco subscriber or would you be a new customer? If you're a subscriber ask to speak with customer retentions. Plead your case and tell them about the offer you've been presented with. Odds are they will do whatever it takes to keep you. I have been playing this game for over 12 years and have never paid regular rates. I have been on "promotion" rates for the whole time.
Closed Thread