New Firmware - SA8300HD - SARA 1.92.16.101 - Please Read Post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-12, 03:33 AM   #1
orenwolf
Rookie

Default New Firmware - SA8300HD - SARA 1.92.16.101 - Please Read Post 1

Interestingly, I was just pushed this firmware by Rogers. So far, I haven't seen any changes yet, though I hadn't been having any issues (other than my Onkyo receiver not liking the component output from time to time).

Hopefully I didn't just miss a post on this somewhere!

Edit by 57 - here's the link to the previous firmware discussion, now closed.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572

I will summarize any changes that we find below as they become available - item numbers line up with those from the previous firmware thread. There may be differences in the way different units react, in the same way we found some differences after the last firmware update. The firmware is supposed to address issues with eHDDs...

The "First Run" (new episode) option of some programming seems to have been enabled, as discussed in the following thread, and later in this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...97#post1274897

Remote TV Manager is now functional on the SA8300HD - see thread below, read post 1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127977

HSUD (hard drive spinning up and down) looks like it has been resolved (by keeping the HDDs "on" at all times). We will continue to monitor as feedback comes in.

20. Because the iHDD doesn't spin down, there is no longer the 15 second or so delay when you turn the PVR on.

Because both HDDs are now spinning 24/7, if you have an eHDD, the issues that some people had after the last firmware with the eHDD "sleeping" should be resolved for those with eHDDs (reported in the eHDD thread)

As noted with the last firmware update, some people are losing recordings, or having difficulty with their eHDDs/enclosures. If after a couple of warm reboots you still have issues, call Rogers, or perhaps try the methods discussed in the last few pages of the eHDD thread.

There has been a new search functionality rolled out in the QSG, as discussed in the following thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142854

If you have any problems, the first thing you should do is a warm reboot via the QSG, as discussed in the SA FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 Firmware version on page 17, last reboot time on page 1.

Last edited by 57; 2011-08-07 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Update
Old 2011-05-12, 04:31 AM   #2
leeanne172

Just got the sara update here, about a half hour ago the fireplace channel changed to the loon/cottage channel as well
Old 2011-05-12, 11:00 AM   #3
David Susilo
Veteran

Do you guys still experiencing HSUD?
Old 2011-05-12, 11:01 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

What is HSUD? and are you still experiencing it?
Old 2011-05-12, 11:04 AM   #5
David Susilo
Veteran

Hard-drive Spinning Up and Down.

I've received the new SARA FW this morning and one of my PVR no longer experiencing HSUD but the other two are still doing the HSUD every 5 minutes or so.
Old 2011-05-12, 02:17 PM   #6
orenwolf
Rookie

So far, no HSUD. It was really bad with the last release, and I've yet to hear it since the update. Here's hoping the problem is finally solved!
Old 2011-05-12, 02:20 PM   #7
metalhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Hard-drive Spinning Up and Down.

I've received the new SARA FW this morning and one of my PVR no longer experiencing HSUD but the other two are still doing the HSUD every 5 minutes or so.
Did the ones still experiencing it get the update? As I'm sure you know, depending how Rogers is rolling out the update (by serial #, for instance) it might mean that one's machines don't all get updated together.
Old 2011-05-17, 11:24 AM   #8
viper359

Default Opinion Sought

Ok folks....

Replaced my PVR about 3 months ago do to firmware related issues with the 8300. I rent my pvr, and thank god!

Anyways, last couple of days had some real annoying issues. Last week, stuff that was recorded and then played back with no issues, suddenly, doesn't work. You know, you click play via the pvr recordings list, and it just bounces you right back to the pvr screen.

It got a little worse this weekend, it said it recorded stuff, but when I went to play it, bounced back to the screen. URG.

So, I deleted everything, pulled the plug on the pvr, pulled the plug on the external, and gave it 30 seconds. Plugged back in.

Last night, 8pm for example, Chuck and House set to record. Shows both as recorded. House played fine. Chuck....bounced to the pvr screen. I think a few other recordings as well did the same thing.

I cannot tell if its a tuner issue, or another firmware issue. I use the Nextstar CX enclosure for my edd. It is a 500gig segate if I remember correctly.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Tried reading some of the enclosure threads etc, but they are just way too long to try and figure out. I hear a new firmware has been pushed. Once the wife is done watching her soap, I will verify what firmware number it is, and edit accordingly.

Does the latest pvr box from Rogers have these constant issues? I am fed up, I just want a PVR at this point, everything else is moot when the basics don't work.

Update 1: Yup, just checked, the latest firmware update I do have.

Update 2: Seems one of two scheduled 9pm recordings for monday didn't work. Chicago Code didnt record, yet two and half men and Mike and Molly did. Each 30 mins to Chicago Codes 1hr.
I have unplugged everything for 5 to 10 minutes. Plugged back in, and let it reboot. Lets see if this does the trick. Going to take some pics of the status screen and attach.

Update 3: Nevermind, I cannot upload a couple of photo's here. Too bad
Old 2011-05-17, 12:54 PM   #9
Andrew

I had been away for a week and was not aware of the update or this thread. When I got home last night I was told nothing recorded over the weekend even when it was red in the guide or someone tried to force it to record manually. I did not think much about it and I tried to watch a month old recording last night but it was not playable. I deleted it and went to another recording and it also was not playable. It then occured to me to reboot and the second show came back. I should have rebooted before deleting the first recording. I still have many recordings listed from prior to the previous time Rogers updates made them unwatchable. I will have to check tonight to see if any of them are back. It is unlikely however as they were probably recorded over by now.
Old 2011-05-17, 03:31 PM   #10

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

viper359: If you still have the problems after you do a warm reboot (QSG) and if it "recognizes" the eHDD, then there may be an issue with the new firmware and your eHDD/enclosure. As discussed in the eHDD thread (post 1) and the last few pages of that thread, changes to firmware can change the functionality of the eHDD.
Old 2011-05-17, 04:09 PM   #11
viper359

thanks 57. It recognizes everything, including the drive. I have to assume its the firmware. I have copies of the error's from the diagnostics screen. I am creating a photo album here and will upload. Here is some pics below I took of the service menu, you will notice the one pic showing the errors. I would be interested to know if those who have reported the same problem have the same errors.
Old 2011-05-17, 05:02 PM   #12
viper359

Old 2011-09-07, 03:18 PM   #13
bgclarke
Veteran

I looked in post 1 and didn't see it mentioned there (or in post 1 of the prior thread).

Not sure how long this has been around, but this past Sunday I discovered that you can schedule the recording of a show which also has a reminder set for it.

In the past I had to cancel the reminder in order to be able to record the show (unless I could find it on a timeshift channel).

Is this new?

EDIT: I tried it again tonight and think I have figured out what allows it "work".

FYI - channel numbers are for the Ottawa area.

I have a reminder set for Lost Girl at 9:00 PM on Showcase HD (560). The reminder colour shows on channels 560 and 39 (Channel 39 is the "auto HD" version of 560).

If I try to set up a recording at the same time as the reminder time on channel 560, it does not allow me - I get the edit/cancel reminder prompt I mentioned above.

If I try to set up a recording at the same time as the reminder time on channel 39, it allows me to do it.

Even though channel 39 is showing the reminder colour, it may not actually have the reminder set - looks like a "feature" of "auto HD" allows this to be done.

Good for channels where there is not an HD version on a west coast feed

Last edited by bgclarke; 2011-09-07 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old 2011-09-19, 10:15 PM   #14
Gshaff
Rookie

Default SA8300HD frequently stops recording until rebooted

My PVR seems to lose it's ability to record, either scheduled recordings or manual recordings until rebooted. This happens fairly frequently. Is this a known problem?
Old 2011-09-20, 12:28 AM   #15

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

No, they should work fine when properly connected with a proper signal. An occasional reboot (once a month) is recommended. Check your signal strength and S/N ratio per the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741