Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-07-09, 09:25 PM   #1
bowmah

Default Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread

Thought I would start a resource thread the Motorola DCX3400 PVR from Shaw. So far, the unit runs very cool as compared to the Pace Aspen. The top of the home theater cabinet is no longer warm when the unit is on or off. With the Aspen, it was warm 24 hours a day even with the unit "off". Also, channel changing is much speedier than previous PVR's from Shaw.

The Shaw channel menu does not stretch all the way to the sides, looks like it's SD only?

What other quirks and things do owners need to know about this unit?

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-09-13 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Made a sticky thread
Old 2010-07-09, 10:59 PM   #2
adiabatic

1) Firewire connection to a PC seems to be established if you add some obvious lines to the INF file (the usual STB driver pack that we all use) search for DCT-3416 and copy/paste matching lines with "DCX-34xx"... not DCX-3400). I had to reboot a few times then Windows did an online driver update for some reason and the box showed up in Device Manager.

Now the catch: during playback/capture the box plays the video fast and the captures are corrupted.

I have some troubleshooting to do regarding what drivers Windows downloaded but this capture problem is consistent with what I read on other forums.

2) I haven't been able to reproduce the warning message that you get on a 3416 for repeatedly pressing SKIP too fast.
Old 2010-07-10, 09:08 PM   #3
bowmah

Are you saying you are having issues with the firewire connection after you hacked it? I was told by Shaw that only the eSata port is active. Firewire and USB are not turned on at the moment.
Old 2010-07-11, 04:42 PM   #4
adiabatic

The firewire port is active. Windows exchanges data with the box to know and receives the device ID string to recognize: "Motorola DCX-34xx" and the usual three IEEE-1394 interfaces (two recognized and one unrecognized). After driver installation, I can copy data from the box to a PC but that data is corrupted.
Old 2010-07-11, 08:48 PM   #5
bowmah

I guess active and supported are 2 different things? Guess Maybe someone in the know can let us know if the firewire is enabled and functioning properly.

Are you using the firewire to network yor PC and PVR or just using it to download / capture video being played on the PVR?
Old 2010-07-12, 06:29 PM   #6
halsafar
Rookie

Firewire is enabled but Windows 7x64 is unable to find the drivers. I tried to find drivers for this device and failed. Can someone point me in the right direction. This is the first time I have bothered to tinker with my cable box. I just got the DCX3400 and it inspired me. I am a comp sci major / software engineer.
Old 2010-07-18, 01:08 PM   #7
guzman

Default Channel selection question

OK, maybe a stupid question, but how do I set my box to automatically go to for example channel 44 by pressing 4-4 rather than 0-4-4....or to channel 2 by pressing 2 rather than 0-0-2. My 6416 would do that, and I thought there was something in the setup menu in the guide but I can't find it

thanks

Forget it....found it.....it is auto tune
Old 2010-07-20, 03:10 AM   #8
bowmah

ok, just noticed a black out happening in recorded shows so not only is it happening during live viewing, it is also happening within a recording. First I thought this might be a buffer issue but maybe not? Does anyone have a fix for this?
Old 2010-07-20, 12:11 PM   #9
adiabatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post
ok, just noticed a black out happening in recorded shows so not only is it happening during live viewing, it is also happening within a recording. First I thought this might be a buffer issue but maybe not? Does anyone have a fix for this?
How does your signal strength look in the service menu? I have had zero issues with the 3400 during live TV or recording but my first check would be to see if you had borderline signal strength just in case the 3400's tuner isn't as sensitive as the 3416, etc.

IIRC, mine is indicated "good" at ~35 dB
Old 2010-07-22, 06:45 PM   #10
bowmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiabatic View Post
How does your signal strength look in the service menu? I have had zero issues with the 3400 during live TV or recording but my first check would be to see if you had borderline signal strength just in case the 3400's tuner isn't as sensitive as the 3416, etc.

IIRC, mine is indicated "good" at ~35 dB
Just chekced and my DCX3400 signal is at 18 dB = Fair. Shaw tech says this is still good and blanking should not be caused by low signal. He said even if low signal, there should be no change in the TV's resolution as the box should still be sending a signal to the receiver.

Anyone else have the PVR connected to a receiver then to the TV? This is my setup and have since connected the HDMI straight from the PVR to the TV to see if this keeps happening.
Old 2010-07-22, 07:39 PM   #11
csewell

I have the same setup: PVR->receiver->TV. Every once in a while the picture will blink out then come back, say every 1/2 hour or hour. Doesn't matter whether I'm watching a recording or live TV. If I skip back, it will play normally, so it's not in the show. The TV indicates it either lost the HDMI signal or a resolution change occurred. Audio is not affected; DD decoder keeps on playing without losing lock. It's annoying but easier to put up with than 1 minute blank recordings.
Old 2010-07-25, 09:10 PM   #12
msbkafka

Question Question about the power off after 4 hours

Got this running yesterday, so far ok though I have not really used it for anything other then watching live TV. The channels under 58 seem do look better.

QUESTION:

I know you can turn this off, but before I do does it shut the box totally off? Does it mean that your preset recordings will not record? Or does it wake up for those?

If not its a rather useless feature.
Old 2010-07-25, 11:32 PM   #13
adiabatic

It will wake up. Motorola's isn't quite that inept.
Old 2011-06-09, 02:28 PM   #14
DIGITALEight

How do I check the capacity of the PVR (Some people who got a free PVR rental have told me that their DCX3400 had a 250GB hard drive instead of 500GB)? Just wanted to check if mine is 250GB or 500GB.
Old 2011-11-04, 11:28 PM   #15
simulcastthis

Default mystery of 5.1 sound

I've noticed a strange audio problem with DCX3400 and Coaxial digital output and Optical audio connected to my receiver. for the most part it works just fine but at times I've notice the audio during the end of a show like the credits or next time on this show, all of the main dialog will come out of the left and right front channels and not the center channel like it should normally then when a tv ad comes on it will switch back to center channel. The worst channel for this is amc when the walking dead is on, the audio will switch back and Forth.

this drives me crazy because I really notice it. when it happens.