Shaw Direct or Telus Sat? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-04-16, 05:16 PM   #1
deadgods
Rookie

Default Shaw Direct or Telus Sat?

i now have SD and i am tired of waiting for the new software/hardware to come out so i am thinking of getting Telus sat i know its Bell but i was wondering if its PQ is any better or the same as SD cuz if its not as good as SD ill just stay with SD

anyone from SD already goto Telus sat?..
Old 2010-04-16, 07:39 PM   #2
PaulC

I have SD & I find the HD picture quality better than Bell, so for the moment I will stay with SD.
Old 2010-04-16, 09:42 PM   #3
Moose57

I made the switch and with a top rated 54" Panasonic V10, I can't really tell much difference.
This is not a side by side, but just a casual observation.
Others may argue otherwise.

A couple of things though, I get way less audio dropouts with TSTV and the PVR features leave SD in the dust.
Both reasons I left SD and Shaw cable after many many years.

The other upside is the TSTV firmware did NOT get updated like Bell did and thus is not suffering the rash of problems they (Bell) are having.

You ultimately have to look at what factors are having you kick the tires of the competition.

While SD typically has great customer service, the fact that you may be dealing with Telus and not Bell almost makes for the best of both worlds.
A decent PQ, AND CS all in one with a fabulous PVR.

If the comparison where SD vs Bell, I'd say stay with SD though.

You can always try a TSTV rental for a few months to see for yourself.
With SD, you are buying into the whole system, but since you are an existing sub, this is not an issue, but would be for someone making an initial decision.

While it's entirely possible the new SD gear may be fantastic and we hope it is, you are dealing with a new unproven 6XX version 1.0 while the others guys have a long legacy of products that are supported by a genuine going concern.

I just wish I could say that about both SD and Motorola given what's been happening.

So an unseen, untested unit or a mature unit with features SD can only dream about.
We all know the promise of the 530 never materialized after 5+ years to 'get it right'.
Has anything really changed over there to think otherwise?

Good luck with your decision.
Old 2010-04-16, 11:25 PM   #4
Kittys

If its just a straight HD PQ test between Shaw Direct & Telus Satellite(Bell) then Shaw Direct wins. Some Bell channels look fine like some of their movie channels with shows like Pacific,True Blood & the Oasis, Equator channels etc...the worst channels are the American HD channels especially the East coast ones (Boston).

Though I find if Bell (Telus sat) is all you watch you get use to it anyway & they do have a better PVR.
Old 2010-04-17, 04:00 PM   #5
deadgods
Rookie

thanks all
anyone else have anything more to add?
Old 2010-04-24, 04:50 PM   #6
deadgods
Rookie

so i went and got TSTV and its the same PQ as SD tho some sd channels on TSTV are in mono and i dont know why i also get some audio drop outs on foxHD but other then that i am very impressed with TSTV i am doing a 6 month trial then after that i will decide if i want to stay with TSTV or cancel my SD service, its on 6 month suspend right now
Old 2012-05-01, 11:16 AM   #7
superdutyfan
Rookie

Default Shaw Direct vs Telus Satellite

Hello Everyone, I have been a *c or SD customer for 14 yrs for the most part have had a good experience wtih them customer service reps have been good and I usually don't wait on the phone for more then a 15 mins. At work we have bell all the channels seem to be the same as shaw direct except for the PPV channels. I hate the fact with shaw direct thee only have maybe 5 total (sd and HD) at one time. Bell has quite a few more. Switching to bell is not an option (hate them) but now with telus I know they use bell's satellites so you get the same programming as bell so Telus sat tv is an option. Shaw direct excusses are we are putting up another satellite so we will have another 200 channels but will not say which channels. But Shaw gives me free PPV credits when ever I call and complain about this issue. in the last 2 yrs I have probablly got close to 40 free PPV movies. but there are so few movies to watch.

Now my questions

1) how is the customer service with Telus Sat tv are you on hold for a long time ?
2) Can anyone elaborate on the third satellite (shaw direct ) eta and how the programming will be effected ?
3) from what I have read on here shaw direct seems to have higher quality HD 1080i compared to 720p and better recievers true or false ?
4) how may reciever are allowed with Telus Sat tv ?
5) I have seen advertised on tv that you can record in one room and then watch in another room can shaw direct or telus sat tv do that ?
6) I also seen that you can record a program with your smart phone on bell is that just them or is telus capable of doing that ?
7) our current PVR needs two sat in lines is that normal for all PVR's ?

Thanks For listening to my long winded comments and questions. I Look forward to reading all the replies and comments you may have for me

Thank you in advance

SDF
Old 2012-05-01, 11:27 AM   #8

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I'll let others answer most of your questions, however, since Telus uses the same equipment/system as Bell, you may be interested in the following thread comparing SD & BTV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64454

3. True to a minor extent for PQ, debatable, probably incorrect, for the STBs. Each provider and STB has advantages and disadvantages.
5. Not in the same way as IPTV or Whole Home PVRs on Cable. You may get a Standard Def connection to a second TV for different programming or could use a splitter for the same programming, or you may require a separate STB for each TV.
7. Yes you still need two inputs, but with DPP technology, only one coax is required between the dish and the dual tuner PVRs.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:33 AM   #9
Pinza
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyfan View Post
7) our current PVR needs two sat in lines is that normal for all PVR's ?
No. The Telus Sat installer will use DPP Plus LNBF's so it will require just 1 line to the rear of the Receiver (9241) where he would then use a DPP Seperator to feed both Tuners.
Old 2012-05-04, 09:09 AM   #10
classicsat
Veteran

All we know is the G1 satellite for Shaw, is scheduled to launch Fall 2012, and likely to be made available to Shaw by December 2012 if is the schedule is followed. Likely they will start adding some channels, and dual illuminate some HD and SD channels on the new satellite in MPEG4, and eventually remove them from MPEG2 on the regular satellites.

Most of Shaw Direct's HD channels are 1080i.. I cannot say for Bell.

Shaw Direct hardware isn't that bad, but software could use a lot of work, and being SD is the only users of that receiver platform, development is slow and behind the competition, which rides on the heels of a US provider.
They could have networking and eSATA expansion, or even just fix the DVR firmware. Supposedly they are working on networking to do VOD over the Internet.