HDTV/Setbox settings - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Sasktel

Old 2010-02-07, 08:28 PM   #1
c_86
Rookie

Default HDTV/Setbox settings

Hello everyone...

i know i am new here (but not to forums)... i did try searching and read a bit of the sasktel thread at the top but i didnt find what i was looking for

essentially i am looking to perfect my picture settings on my HDTV and my sasktel setbox

i have a Panasonic 42" plasma (TCP42C1) and the big motorola set box... what are you guys using for your settings to have at least a decent picture? right now i have my settings as follows:

TV type: 46:9
component/HDMI: 1080i
4:3 override: Off
closed captioning: disabled
HDMI Audit output: Stereo

and my TV is set to "Just" display settings...

now the issue is that the picture is kinda stretched while watching TV, and the menus and such (the sasktel max menu) is cut off on the sides... hope that made sense?

i do not subscribe to the HD channels as until they have all HD channels i'm not shelling out for it...

anyways, any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!
Old 2010-02-07, 11:36 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

"Just" stretches the image - see the following FAQ on WS Stretch modes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

If you wish to stretch the SD channels with the TV and leave the HD ones alone, I believe you set the 4:3 override to 480i and then set the TV to stretch SD channels while leaving HD ones unstretched (when you get them). No idea why you'd have an HD STB, an HDTV and not watch HD - SD doesn't look that great on an HDTV.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQS, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2010-02-08, 09:00 AM   #3
c_86
Rookie

thank you for the info, i will read up on it right now

as for why have an HD box, and TV and dont get channels is becasue plain and simply, there arent enough of them out there yet... and about 2/3s of them suck, meaning i dont watch PBS or CBC etc etc... so at this time its not worth me spending the extra money if i'm not going to use it... know what i'm saying? i'm going to be possibly looking into changing providers but that only leaves Shaw and i dont know about shaw that much, they seem extremely more expensive then sasktel
Old 2010-02-08, 11:58 AM   #4
dschell_2000

How does that only leave Shaw?

You have heard of Bell ExpressVu, haven't you?

Dave S.
Old 2010-02-08, 12:13 PM   #5
c_86
Rookie

I have heard of expressVu, but I live in saskatchewan, and as far as I know the only providers here are Sasktel and Shaw...
Old 2010-02-08, 12:40 PM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Shaw Direct and BTV (not ExpressVu any more) are Canada wide satellite DTH providers. If you're in an apartment, you may be limted to cable/IPTV.