Sony Grand Wega warped/melted door - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2010-01-26, 09:18 PM   #1
aett258
Rookie

Default Sony Grand Wega warped/melted door

Hi folks. I bought a KF42WE610 in Sept 2003 and have that warped door melting inside issue. I realized this when my TV went blank and followed instructions to change the lamp 2 weeks ago. I reside in Canada so would appreciate any feed back on settlements with Sony. I was just offered a new KDL40EX400 for $250 or a new KDL46EX400 for $350. I was not pleased with their offer and called them back to refuse. I do not want to pay a cent. I paid $3,000 plus $300 for an extended warranty that ended in Aug 2009. I was registered with Sony and they never notified me about this latent well known defect. If they did I would have looked at the lamp housing and noticed the melting Lamp housing area. In my claim I indicated that the average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours and that I only utilized 9,800 hrs or 16% leaving me with 84% unused pleasure. This 84% translates into $2,500 of my money. The KDL46EX400 goes for $1,200 on the US Sony website. Thats far less than my $2500 remaining. Comments would be appreciated as well as Sony settlements. If you had or have this problem please share your offers from Sony. Should I accept their offer or continue to get my money's worth. Thanks
Old 2010-01-26, 10:03 PM   #2
hogie

I too was made an offer of one set for $400 plus tax for a different issue. I wasn't pleased that the tv offered was not an equivalent series to the one I purchased. I was led to believe from most I've read that they would not negotiate their offer. Not one to be easily discouraged I made two calls over the past couple of days. Today I spoke with a very professional rep named Colin (Canada). He listened to what I had to say and was very fair in his response. He seemed to understand that I wanted some choice. As a result, later today I got a second offer which makes me happy.

I will still have to pay $400 dollars which I am not happy with. However, there are different ways to look at this. For $400 I will no longer have a rear projection tv that needs lamps replaced. (I was due for one soon--$150--$300 depending on how you choose to replace it) I have a choice of a 2009 or 2010 model LCD which has internet connectivity, a USB port, 4 HDMI inputs etc.

I am accepting the offer. I did not put an extended warranty on my original tv but have ended up with the tv replaced for $400.

I am going to make the best of it.
Old 2010-01-26, 11:09 PM   #3
aett258
Rookie

Could you tell me what they offered you for $400?
Old 2010-01-29, 08:43 PM   #4
the hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
I too was made an offer of one set for $400 plus tax for a different issue. I wasn't pleased that the tv offered was not an equivalent series to the one I purchased. I was led to believe from most I've read that they would not negotiate their offer. Not one to be easily discouraged I made two calls over the past couple of days. Today I spoke with a very professional rep named Colin (Canada). He listened to what I had to say and was very fair in his response. He seemed to understand that I wanted some choice. As a result, later today I got a second offer which makes me happy.

I will still have to pay $400 dollars which I am not happy with. However, there are different ways to look at this. For $400 I will no longer have a rear projection tv that needs lamps replaced. (I was due for one soon--$150--$300 depending on how you choose to replace it) I have a choice of a 2009 or 2010 model LCD which has internet connectivity, a USB port, 4 HDMI inputs etc.

I am accepting the offer. I did not put an extended warranty on my original tv but have ended up with the tv replaced for $400.

I am going to make the best of it.
So which TV are you getting?
Old 2010-01-28, 09:49 AM   #5
aett258
Rookie

Hi every one. Please share your offers and/or resolutions you may have from Sony. Would be helpfull. Thanks
Old 2010-01-29, 10:53 AM   #6
aett258
Rookie

Sony originally offered me the EX46400 for $350 and then the EX46500 for $650. Since then I sent in a complaint to the BBB. I did some research into small claims and found a few cases in regards to the optical problem. All favourable. All cases were found in Quebec. The site is http://www.jugements.qc.ca. The cases are in French however. All you have to do is type in Sony for a search. My next step is to send a demand letter to sony
Old 2010-01-30, 10:01 PM   #7
aett258
Rookie

There are 2 clauses in the consumer protection act that supports our claims. #38 states Goods forming the object of a contract must be durable in normal use for a reasonable length time, having regard to their price, the terms of the contract and the conditions of their use. #39. Where goods being the object of a contract are of a nature that requires maintenance, replacement parts and repair service must be available for a reasonable time after the making of the contract. Hope this helps.
Old 2010-02-01, 05:49 PM   #8
AConrad
Rookie

Default Offer Letter From Sony

I had the warping door problem and the spots on my tv from the optical block problem. I had the 50" Grand Wega TV that I bought in 2003 for just under $5k.
Sony of Canada has offered me the 2009 KF50WE620 model for $750 plus tax (retails for about $1800 at Bet Buy). I am not sure if this is a good deal or not as I am still putting out $750 for another tv. I tried calling them to negotiate, but they said that their Executive have approved this offer and there is no room to wiggle. They did say that for $1,500, i could get the 2010 model (cannot remember the model # of that tv)
Has anyone else received any offer letters like this?
Old 2010-02-02, 09:50 AM   #9
the hawk

Wow....they offered that? That TV is a dinosaur.....it debuted a good 4-5 years ago....they don't even make it anymore and has been out of production for a few years now (Sony ceased rear projection TV production right after the A3000 line debuted). I guess they found that TV sitting in a dark corner of the warehouse and are looking to get rid of it.

If BB is charging $1800 for one of those they should be ashamed.....to me it's not worth more than the $750 they want to charge you. My buddy bought his KDS-50A2000 SXRD for $1700 out the door from BB in 2007 and that set will smoke that old tech rear projection in every aspect that's measurable.
Old 2010-02-02, 11:58 AM   #10
AConrad
Rookie

Sorry, my bad. The KF50WE620 was the old TV I had that had the problems. The TV they are offering me is the KDL-52VL150.
My apologies for reading the letter they gave me wrong. So $750 for the 2009 Sony Bravia 52" KDL-52VL150.
Any thoughts on this offer.
Thanks
Old 2010-02-03, 09:41 PM   #11
aett258
Rookie

Hi Folks. I have concluded my dealings with Sony. I Settled for a KDL46W5100 for $200.
After numerous calls and emails I sent this last email to "general_enquiries@sony.ca" and CC'd the president of Sony Canada and the CEO of Sony USA . I attached a BBB complaint, 2 bylaws from the "Consumer's Protection Act" (38 and 39) as well as a few cases from small claims court. I did not want the 46EX500 because it will only be available end of Feb. I did not want this email to go to cust service. The same people keep getting it. Here is the context of my email:
"Please forward this to your claims / customer Service Manager

Dear Sir / Madame

Please note that after numerous emails and phone conversations Sony has not been able to come up with a fair resolution in regards to my melting burnt KF4WE610 TV. I discovered that Sony has manufactured LCD rear-projection HD TVs with widespread latent defects regarding the melting and optical block problems. I discovered that Sony also had an extended warranty for damage to parts surrounding the projection lamps on all 2003 Grand WEGA models and the WE"" versions of the 2004 Grand WEGA models. Although my problem (melting TV) is technically not an optical block problem, it plagues the same set of models and clearly arises from the same cause--excessive heat from the projection lamp. The heat from the lamp can cause the lamp access door, as well as other parts, including the main chassis, to become warped, cracked, and/or scorched as can be seen in my photos."

I unknowingly purchased one of these defective TVs. I had registered with Sony and they have not contacted me on this issue. From what I read Sony has been unwilling or unable to repair or replace the defective TV for other Sony owners, thereby breaching warranties and violating consumer protection laws." In theory, I could ask for the original purchase price of the TV plus in many provinces, court costs if need be.

The average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours. If I watched TV for 24 hours a day, it would take me almost 7 years to wear out my LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of 6 hours per day, you can extend the lifespan of your TV by 20 years or more (to about 27 years). Every summer my family and I reside in the country for 2 months from which I commute to work. During this time our TV is not turned on even once. If we were around during the summers I am sure I would have come across the burnt TV sooner and fell within the 5 yr extended warranty. Using the 6 hours per day viewing habits and excluding the summers we have enjoyed our TV for only approximately 9,720 hours or 4.4 years out of a potential 27 years. That is only 16.3% leaving me with 83.7% unused TV usage. This results in a $2,500 shortfall ($3,000 X 83.7%).

Note that Sony has offered me a KDLEX400 for $350 which is selling for $899 in the US. They then offered me a KDLEX500 for $650 which is selling for $1,100 in the US. I asked them to fix my KF2WE610 but they indicated there are no parts resulting in Sony violating consumer protection laws in Quebec.

I am asking you to provide me with the KDLEX500 at no cost.
All I want is a fair resolution. I have always purchased Sony and will continue to do so. Your products have always been good to me except for this one time."

The next day I got a phone call from the top customer care manager out of the presidents office. Through her we negotiated this resolution. The next day I got an email from the BBB indicating that this issue was resolved. Sony contacted them immediately. The BBB web site is https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

Please do not use this email as a bargaining tool. Be persistent and work your way up the hierarchy. Ask for the supervisor first and quote the bylaws and the small claims court decisions. If that doesn't work send an email like I did.

That's it for me. Be patient and persistent
Old 2010-02-17, 10:13 PM   #12
Annoyed
Rookie

Default Tired of Sony giving me the runaround

I also purchased the KF50WE620 back in 2004 for just over 4k. I started having optical block issues with it in Feb 09 (exactly 41 days after the extended warranty expired) They tried to dismiss my case on several occasions in Spring of 09. They offered me ridiculous high priced offers - the best that I could negotiate then was $1450 for the KDL-52V150.

More recently in December they reduced the price to $1100 due to high stock availability. I was just exhausted by endless phone calls and needed to take a break from it all, so finally I called them back today and they said that the V model is no longer available; however, they are now offering me the KDL-52VL150. The VL is APPARENTLY superior to the V - WHATEVER, and they will still offer it to me for the same price. After reading the post from AConrod I realize they have been toying me around since they got offered the same model for $750. May I ask what issues did you have with your unit and when did you start experiencing them .... seeing as we own the same model.
Old 2010-03-17, 06:59 AM   #13
madmann
Rookie

Has anyone else had settlements regarding warped door issue? If so, please post your results.
madmann
Old 2010-03-22, 02:55 PM   #14
kwood

I currently have a claim in with Sony Canada for my KF60WE610. The Lamp Door is melted/warped. The chasis housing which contains the lamp itself is warped. And the lamp driver is shot w/ the 5 blinking red LED meaning the TV does not fire up. I have not heard anything from them at all, it has been 8 business days. I had an authorized Sony Tech (on Sony's dime) come and assess the TV as well as send off all the required info to Sony. Am curious what they are gonna offer as I have the 60"....
Old 2010-03-23, 06:31 AM   #15
madmann
Rookie

kwood, Im in the same situation as you - only Im about 9 days ahead of you.
I also have a grand wega WE620 model and have been offered last years sub-par model kdl52vl150 for $650, as I have read on websites this tv is also plagued with issues and I refused this tv from sony for that reason.
Sony has very frustrating to deal with, if I could offer you 1 piece of advise, it would be to pick-up you patience before you call them. Remember, sony is trying to settle this issue as cheaply as possible.
I have spoken with sony 3 times now, and today Im awaiting 1 more offer, if I still feel that the offer is unreasonable, I will file a complaint with the BBB, file at small claims and contact the consumer protection agency - it is not my fault that sony made a defective tv.