Southland - Premiere - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2009-04-05, 08:14 PM   #1
sixer

Default Southland - Premiere

Anyone else looking forward to this Premiere which is a new police drama based in LA?

It's replacing ER on Thursday Nights at 10pm and the Producer, John Wells, also produced ER and West Wing.

Early reviews indicate it's a notch above all other Police Drama's currently on TV.

First episode is this Thursday at 10pm.
Old 2009-04-06, 12:38 AM   #2
Random Dude

Looking forward to it, I may have to catch it online as I'm not in North America right now.
Old 2009-04-11, 06:28 PM   #3
bobguy

Saw it....good show, I enjoyed it
Old 2009-04-11, 08:09 PM   #4
supervij

It was pretty intense, which I liked. But it was overly serious, without much humour in it. And that speech that cop made about "this is the job, this is what we do" near the end -- that was a bit cheesy. I'm undecided if I'll keep watching.

cheers,
supervij
Old 2009-04-11, 09:59 PM   #5
jumpy27
Veteran

ER was also very serious with little humour.
Old 2009-04-11, 10:21 PM   #6
Hackinsat

I also enjoyed Southland. Pretty intense. Too bad for all the "BLEEPS" come on. It is 10PM, and kids shouldn't be watching it. Kill the bad word censor. It appears that they plan to release this on DVD, so they are writing the script for a dvd release, and letting the censor play with the bleeper.

One of my favorite TV shows in the past dozen of so years was the CBC series Intelligence, and part of the reason the show was so good was the script was written using language that you would expect to hear in that life style, and line of work. Lets hope Southpoint does well in the ratings and we actually have a good show to watch. Something believable that takes realistic storyllines to the screen. Unlike the garbage the CSI franchise has been pumping out 3 times a week for the past 10 years. The only reason to watch CSI is to laugh at how bad it really is.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:55 PM   #7
stapler

After seeing the promos, I looked forward to seeing the show as well. Maybe too much, as I was disappointed. Didn't click for me. Yet. Still going to give it a few more weeks to see if it works.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:55 PM   #8
Classof83

You can't swear on network television at all, can you, no matter what time a show airs at?

I also believe that they missed censoring out some words, including the anatomically referenced "A" word. Plus there were other words in their that you normally don't expect to hear on network television that weren't bleeped out. If I were to repeat these words in this thread, I'd probably get an infraction, so that's how serious they were.

This isn't HBO, this is NBC.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:56 PM   #9
Random Dude

I was pretty impressed with this. Well written and good drama, I liked how everything tied together. Good Pilot.
Old 2014-02-12, 10:49 AM   #10
asif9t9
Veteran

Just finished S5, the last season of this show. Great show. It's too bad it did just end and didn't get a proper finale, but the S5 season finale was good enough to be a series finale.