Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel Master OTA Gear & Antennas

290K views 657 replies 153 participants last post by  oldtvguy 
#1 ·
I am looking for suggestions. I currently get all the Buffalo DTV stations between 75 and 98% with my Silver Sensor but I only get WNLO from 20-40%. I just need a small boost as to not create problems with the others. can anyone provide suggestions on a good booster for me and where to find it. Thanks.

#227 ·
stampeder said:
I've read somewhere that the CM9251A rotator set top box uses Pioneer's IR codes
Per CM9251A User Guide:

"Use with supplied handheld unit or most universal handheld controllers configured as a Pioneer Cable Box (HH1) or Pioneer CD Player (HH2). Compatible with most DIRECTV and Dish universal handheld remotes. (Channel Master cannot guarantee universal handheld remote control compatibility)"

#229 ·
Thanks HDTVOakville.

By the way I can also order in almost anything if someone needs something specific as we deal with a few distributors.

Wade, Winegard, & Delhi.

Since I have gotten great results with the channel master that is why I decide to stock them.

As of Dec 12 will be moving to 300 Steecase road West, Unit 20, Markham.

#231 ·
HDTV101 great advise I was thinking of something like that. Definately will look into it after I move Dec 12th.

Something for me to do for the new year.

Misc I might even sell the Oppo 971 dvd player as they would open me as a dealer. :)

Thanks

#232 ·
4228 vs. (2) 4221

I don't understand.

Why not since the 4228 is just two 4221 mounted on a bar at the factory; why not 2X 4221 facing opposing directions kinda like the Antenna Direct DB8?

Could one not do this the same as a 4228 and only hook a pre-amp to the one side if distance is an issue or am I missing the whole mathematical equation here :) ?

Crispy

#233 ·
Crispy said:
...why not 2X 4221 facing opposing directions kinda like the Antenna Direct DB8?
I think you're mistaken about the AD DB8 segments being in opposite directions:

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB8_assembly.html

Also antennas mounted together in opposite directions need to be a significant distance apart and their respective nulls and lobes must be carefully superimposed (usually by trial and error) to prevent them from cancelling eachother out or at least knocking a big chunk of gain off eachother:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/16bay.html

#234 ·
Hmm,

Well my goal is to be able to attain a stationary set up that provides me with all of the available channels minus the rotor.

I will have to experiment with it come spring.

Any Antenna Direct antenna seems unattainable in Canada without selling my first born.

I will look into buying some Channelmaster stuff from Yaamon perhaps a 4228 and 4221 set up.

Crispy

#235 ·
Crispy:

I think we're in the same boat. I really want an HD PVR and that means a rotor is a bad thing. My location (east Oakville) is pretty much in a line between Hamilton and Toronto and the Buffalo stations are very nearly at right angles to them. (I'm only interested in digital OTA.) A few weeks ago, I spoke to some antenna installers but did not get any comfort that they knew what I wanted to do and that they could do it for me.

I'm torn between:

1) A simple omni-directional antenna up high. Given that I'm now getting some of the S. Buffalo signals (78 miles!) on rabbit ears in the basement, it looks plausible that a really simple antenna may be all I'd need.

2) Two antennas. One a pretty directional, longer range model aimed at Buffalo plus another that picks up both front and back giving me both Hamilton and Toronto. Donno what I'd do if any interesting stations start up in Barrie. Combining signals from two antennas seems to be a bit of a black art, though. Plus the cost and the hit to the house's curb appeal.

Craig

#236 ·
Crispy said:
Well my goal is to be able to attain a stationary set up that provides me with all of the available channels minus the rotor.
crispy I'm close to you in Fonthill and have installed a 4221, pointed to buffalo I get all the buffalo channels no problem when pointed to toronto I only get cbc no other channels I think it may have to with the fact we are on the back side of the niagara escarpment. Could you not combine your square shooter for buffalo and use one 4221 for Toronto

#238 ·
fonthill hdtv said:
I only get cbc no other channels I think it may have to with the fact we are on the back side of the niagara escarpment.
Indeed, Fonthill is hilly and well treed and might be the reason you don't get much from Toronto. Confederation Heights isn't too far away from you but is closer to the escarpment edge. Bummer, even a 4228 might not do you any good.

#240 ·
stampeder,

I believe I am going to mount a tower in the spring as it is too cold now.

I may go with either a 20 or 30 footer and a 4228 for Toronto and maybe a 4221 for Buffalo but need to figure out how I am going to mount them without one interfering with the other.

Crispy

#241 ·
Crispy said:
...a 4228 for Toronto and maybe a 4221 for Buffalo but need to figure out how I am going to mount them without one interfering with the other.
Yaamon has a post earlier in this thread about mounting a 4221 with a 4228 so it can be done. My hunch is that you could probably mount them on the same mast with about 2 feet of space between them, but I could be wrong and you might have to experiment.

#242 ·
I dont see really why it would not work by pointing it in different direction but you might have to fine tune them in after.

I only had experience with the antenna being about 15' apart and that work perfectly.

What you would have to do is point the 4228 for the weakest Toronto station and then the smaller 4221 for Buffalo.

Then if you find that you lost any Toronto signal repeak the Toronto antenna and then check the signal of the Buffalo stations that they are still there.

Good luck.

#243 ·
Taking apart a 4228

So, I finally got around to getting my 4228.

I do want to try it in the attic, yes I know stampeder ;-) I'll try anyways.

It wont fit. So, I'm thinking of just popping the rivets off on one side and replacing back after with bolts.

Anybody against that procedure?

Thanks!

#244 ·
spmarceau said:
I'm thinking of just popping the rivets off on one side and replacing back after with bolts.
That should work just fine, but in case you ever move it outside in the future I'd recommend galvanized nuts & bolts. Stainless steel nuts and bolts will not corrode but they're much softer metal so when they get old they can shear in heavy winds.

#246 ·
stampeder said:
I've read somewhere that the CM9251A rotator set top box uses Pioneer's IR codes but I don't have proof of that. If its true, a person could use an IRBlaster to auto-rotate the antenna prior to a recording. For general viewing a Harmony remote can replicate the CM's remote control too.
Yes this is true. I set my Toshiba TV's remote when in Cable TV mode to use the Pioneer codes... sure enough it works the CM9251A rotor box!

#247 ·
Success!

In case anyone has followed!

Installing a CM 4228 in the attic, roughly pointed at the CN tower (I didnt even make any adjustements just pointed at where I thought it would be), in Woodbridge (GTA) gets me 10 or so digital channels.

I'm am very impressed with that antenna!

#248 ·
Congrats on your success. Mine has been up and down; the snow has caused havoc with my reception. On Monday, I had dropouts on FOXHD and that has never happened! Considering I'm in Mississauga with a roof mount, clear line of sight and a pre-amp, I'm stumped. In fact, I'm now considering buying a CM 9521a rotor. Can anyone recommend a local source or am I better off ordering from the US?

#250 ·
Quad CM2228 Project

thought you guys/gals might enjoy seeing some pictures of an antenna project my partner and i are working on. We currently have a self-designed parabolic up approx. 100' on a R25G tower with a Yaesu 800 rotor. The new project is a Quad CM 2228 that is modified to improve feed design and will consist of 4 (32 Bay total) 4228s each with 7775 preamps. A BT BTY-HB-HP Hi-band VHF with a CM7777 will be below the bowties and will handle the VHF duties. On the UHF side, the 4 CM 2228 (Modified) each with 7775 Amps .. will have individual 7916 Belden downleads. This way we can stack in any manner we wish, by simple selecting the desired antenna(s) Performance was excellent on the parabolic and we are optimistic that this will exceed it.... We consistently lock on HD stations 100-175 miles. When we get this up, maybe i can share some data with you. Happy Holidays from East Texas.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.