Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Youtube Slow?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Mozza 
#1 ·
I have MTS' Lighting Bolt plan (32 mbps) and I get a solid 20+ mpbs wirelessly all the time, everything is fast, except Youtube lately.

Youtube videos, even standard def, can take forever to load, they stutter, load...

I've got this problem using Firefox, and tried IE just for kicks, same issue.

Also, Youtube is extremely slow on my iTouch as well using the same wireless (everything else is fine).

I reset my modem and pvr and router to see if that helps, but it doesn't.

Has anybody else with MTS noticed this lately?

My typical speeds...

See less See more
#2 ·
For me lately i have noticed it running well but I will keep a closer eye on it.
Netflix how ever is always running stable I would recommend giving mts tech support a call To see if they can fix it thanks

#3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I wonder if it's a caching thing on MTS' side for YouTube, I don't know how that works. It's definitely not a system (computer issue) since the problem happens on all platforms, and my speeds everywhere else seem fine.

#5 ·
Same problem this past weekend. drove me nuts. reset everything an no luck. video would load 4-5 seconds worth and just sit there adding another few seconds each minute. Everything else worked fine.

Tried again now and it's better, but still cannot watch 720p videos without the video stopping every 3-4 seconds to buffer. (bolt plan, tv off)

netflix HD and other streaming services work fine.

#7 ·
Still having the issue today, very intermittent though, but generally not good.

On the flip side, I can easily and efficiently stream Vimeo HD (which is higher bandwidth than Youtube I believe). It's definitely a Youtube issue, just not sure why not everybody is affected.

I use multiple platforms, so it's not a cookie issue or anything, and reset my 2Wire and router, so it's not anything related to my IP address afaik (since that would change anyway).

I ran the Youtube speedtest and noticed it averaged about 4000 kbps, not bad, but not nearly what it should be (their graph shows that I used to be up around 11000 kbps a week or two ago), but it will often drop to MUCH lower levels as seen here.

I called MTS support and they didn't have any answers. They told me to try a different browser, hardwire connection, etc, but I've done all that (and tried my iTouch) and only Youtube is affected.

#13 ·
I have the same issue right now, I'm on lightning max and my speedtest score is 14.4mbit, normally I can watch 1080p no problem but now I can't even watch 360p on my ipad or computer, it has been like this on and off for two weeks. I am getting very pissed and I hope they sort this out. All other sites work fine.

#14 ·
I rarely use my iMac anymore, so I usually only access YouTube mobile. I have noticed that it is definitely slower. I have pair bonding equipment at my house, and wasn't sure if It was the issue, so i rebooted my wireless "puck" as MTS calls it (2Wire i38hg wireless router, fed via hpna over twister pair from the 3812 gateway.). Didn't seem to make a difference.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a response from MTS tech support:

Hello,

the issue appears to be everywhere, we have looked into this and its
oddly random. But appears to be solely related to youtube, similar
issues have happened in the past and have been resolved.
Unfortunately we cannot assist with this, please be aware that we are
also experiencing this issue with users within the company on other
ISPs and our own.

Regards, MTS Support

#22 ·
What a relief! The past few weeks I was having the exact same issues with youtube as the original poster, with the original poster's exact same internet plan. (As well as Firefox.) You Tube videos would start, play for 5-10 seconds then freeze up. Drove me CRAZY. Asked a tech person at a Future Shop on Thursday about it, and he said it was a common complaint with MTS users with my set-up, and that resetting the modem usually fixes it. So that's what I did.

The only thing was, I couldn't remember what it meant to reset, exactly. Just unplugging the modem for a few minutes, or actually pressing the reset button on the modem first, then unplugging it. So I did both. After I did, You Tube started working again flawlessly, as if by magic. With one caveat. Now I get ads with You Tube. I run Firefox, and I'm unable to get the Ad Block Plus feature to block them, no matter what Ad Block settings I select. It's not such a big deal, as I'll take a brief ad over the videos pausing every ten seconds. I did also notice a recent Adobe Flash update (Macbook Pro) and maybe that had something to do with helping to fix You Tube, as well. I'm generally clueless about computer things, though, so I apologize in advance if Adobe has nothing to do with You Tube.

**Oh, another thing I noticed is that the problem slowly seemed to creep up once I moved up to the Lighting plan. (Which was about a month ago.) Never had a problem with You Tube with the slower plan. It also didn't matter what other devices I had running at the same time. I tested You Tube with all my other devices turned off, with only my Macbook Pro running, and I still had issues. However, after the reset, so far so good. I also tend to empty my Firefox cache every other day, as well. I'll report back if I start having problems again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.