Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Which DVD Player are you using for your HDTV?

14K views 69 replies 41 participants last post by  s21477 
#1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my Samsung HD841 DVD player. It has served me well after almost a year especially after I upgraded its firmware which fix a variety of bugs. However, I feel its time to try a new upconverting DVD player which hopefully will give an even better PQ. This will probably be the last DVD player I would buy until new Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players get released.

Anybody have any comments on the following upconverting DVD Players?

1. Oppo DV971H
2. Panasonic S77
3. Samsung HD950
4. Denon 1910
5. Denon 2910

#27 ·
MediaRoomManiac said:
Has anyone heard any news on the new upconverting Toshiba SD6980? MSRP: $269.00

Here's a short feature list:
Single Disc Tray
Progressive Scan
HDMI™ Output (720p/1081i) Upconversion
DVD-Audio/SACD Playback
DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD/MP3/WMA
HD JPEG Viewer
DivX Playback
Universal Remote Control with TV Controls
24 bit/192KHz PCM Audio Compatibility
10 in 2 Card Slot Supports: Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro/Memory Stick Duo/SD Card/Mini SD/Smart Media Card/Multi Media Card/Compac Flash/Micro Drive/XD Picture Card

It's not available at BB or FS (at least not on their website yet). Looks to be a worthy contender to the Panny/Denon now, since the previous model Tosh DVD Players were sub par and had poor PQ from many user reviews. I'm doing research now as I am planning to purchase the 52HMX85 end of this year and need a good upconverting DVD player to go with this set after I buy it.

Thanks all!
I looked at several upconverting dvd players including the Toshiba. As you can see from the spec, it doesn't play +R media. Most of my backups are +R so I went with the LG DVB418 and am very happy with it. For the price (approx. $179 at Circuit City or Best Buy, but I've seen it on sale for as low as $149) it's a best buy, plays every thing. If you play DL discs, make sure you set the booktype to dvd-rom when you burn it. It is really very near HD quality, actually better than some of the mediocre HD channels, but not quite as good as the really good ones. All in all, I've had it for 5-6 months and would buy it again if I was looking now. Only thing is that you need to buy an HDMI cable, it doesn't come with it.

#28 ·
so...are they really worth it comparing it to a normal dvd player. The guy i talked to at bestbuy, maybe he just didn't wanna talk to me about them, maybe he fits the box store stereotype...but none the less he tore the upconverting receivers apart saying that they're essentially useless and won't make a difference at all. Simply just go with a regular dvd player if you want one.

(and it's not like they weren't in stock cause there was a buncha box's below)

#32 ·
protovision said:
Hope you have a 3+ghz processor in that PC for HD :)

I have a newish HP laptop that does WM9 HD material quite well on my Z2. Can't say as I even tried it with regular DVD fare though. It is 3.2 GHz.

It all depends on your set up but I am not particularly enthused with the concept of a HTPC. "Booting up" the PJ and waiting for that 25 second countdown is enough.

There has to be a SIGNIFICANT advantage to dragging a computer into the mix to sway me. So far, I have not seen the advantage that would make me do this. For WM9 HD material, there was no other choice.

I STILL say there is no real difference in PQ from different DVD players. Well, at least, I have not seen it yet!

Sounds a bit like the high-end cable crowd insisting their golden eyes and ears CAN tell the difference. I never could.

Can't see the difference in PQ through DVI vs component either. The following quote from the FAQs on this site is pure hype IMO:

It was a surprise to me, and it is a surprise to most people when they first experience a DVD played back through a DVI connection. "Jaw dropping" is the phrase often used, and it describes my reaction. Except in my case I had no prior clue - so it contained shock and confusion as well. My wife kept insisting that the DVD we were playing was high definition. There are hundreds of reactions like mine in this forum, and now there are reviews in many publications attesting to the phenomenal quality difference. See DVI Quotes.

Why is that? DVI is not magically adding quality to your signal, it is Component that has been degrading the signal – we just didn’t how badly.

#33 ·
dawziecat said:
I have a newish HP laptop that does WM9 HD material quite well on my Z2. Can't say as I even tried it with regular DVD fare though. It is 3.2 GHz.
If the Z2 you refer to is the PLV-Z2, I believe the max input is 1080i and I'm not even sure what computer input it will take.

The great interest that has recently developed in hooking up a computer to a modern HD TV is the ability for a TV, a 1080p TV, to accept a 1080p signal from a computer video card and display the signal without any scaling or conversion. The pictures are stunning, and you'll realize standalone DVD players have a way to go to catch up.

Samsung make a DLP that accepts a true 1080p input from a computer VGA connection, and is the ONLY TV to do it through this connection. HP has a 1080p DLP TV that does the same thing through an HDMI input.

At the moment these are the only two TVs out there capable of operating with a native 1080p signal that I've heard of.

I would suggest there is a "significant advantage" of dragging a computer into the mix. And of course if you are serious about it, you can have a computer built so it's the size of a large AVR with silent fans that fits into whatever shelving accommodation you have for your other equipment.

Cheers

#34 ·
biglyle said:
The oppo has no where near the PQ of the panny, at least on my set it didnt.
My understanding is that the Oppo must be connected via its' DVI output. It is close to unusable if you try the component output.

Just what I've read, and it was rated above the HDMI Panasonic in the review I read, but only marginally. Both great machines apparently.

#35 ·
Malata DVD-180 (new Upconverting High-Def DVD player?)

Hi all,

I would love to post this as a new thread but given I'm a new member here today I will have to raise my question on an existing one.

Right now I have an upconverting LG 7832 player along with my Malata DVD-N996 on my Toshiba 50HX70 which accepts 1080i via component inputs. The LG is a pretty good player but just today I came acrossa ebay listing for a new Malata player that could be considered a new and improved version of the LG. While it doesn't use the terminology that it upconverts 480p to
1080i the commentary indicates to me it does.

http://cgi.********/New-Malata-HD-H...ryZ50599QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no connection with the seller but am extremely curious about this player and want to find out everything I can about it which unfortunately at this moment is nothing more than what the seller lists here. Malata Canada's website has no info on this player nor does dvdhelp. :confused:

If anyone here knows anything about this new Malata player and could post it here I would be very appreciative.:)

thanks,
RB

#37 ·
At home, I have the Denon 1910, Oppo, LG7832 and the Pioneer Elite 79AVi (not on the market right now... should come out in november). The 79Avi is used with the scaler DVDO IScan HD+ (480i over HDMI to it).

I have try the Panny S97, Denon 3910, 5910, Onkyo SP1000 recently.

The best of the bunch (if talking about PQ only) is the 5910, fallowed very closely by the combo 79AVi + IScan HD+ (soon to be VP30). But that's in the "stratospheric" prices.

If your display doesn't suffer from MB, then the Denon 1910, Oppo or S97 are very near each other (if talking only about PQ). When you see the Denon 5910 side-by-side with them, you realize the performance of those players is really similar. And for the price, they are pretty outstanding. On a smaller then 65" screen we are really splitting hairs between those "budget" players, and they really all do a fine job.

On a 110" and more screen its another story. The more costly players and scalers combo are flexing their muscles.

#39 ·
Hi, Sorry if this post seems reduntant, as I also posted the same question on another thread on this site. (still waiting to be able to start a new thread ).

Is it possible that my TV is already converting the image from the DVD to better quality ?

The reason I am asking this is that I just purchased the Sony DVP-NS70H last night. It has the progressive button and is suppose to also convert up to 720i and 1080i. I do not notice any difference in PQ when I hit the Progressive button. I am using Ultra Monster component cables. My TV is a Hitachi LCD Ultravision.

The picture is really nice, but I am wondering if I should exchange it for the LG after reading the thread about the LG DV7832

Thanks,
Cam

#40 ·
CamG said:
Hi, Sorry if this post seems reduntant, as I also posted the same question on another thread on this site. (still waiting to be able to start a new thread ).

Is it possible that my TV is already converting the image from the DVD to better quality ?

The reason I am asking this is that I just purchased the Sony DVP-NS70H last night. It has the progressive button and is suppose to also convert up to 720i and 1080i. I do not notice any difference in PQ when I hit the Progressive button. I am using Ultra Monster component cables. My TV is a Hitachi LCD Ultravision.

The picture is really nice, but I am wondering if I should exchange it for the LG after reading the thread about the LG DV7832

Thanks,
Cam

It's the same for me. I post that in another tread:

Hi,

So for my Sony KDFE50A10 I give a try to the Sony NS70H DVD player. Is it possible that the scaler in the DVD player is the same as the scaler in the 50A10. I try with component at 480i, 480p, with HDMI at 720p and 1080i and I have a very hard time to see a difference in PQ. Do you think that I can have a better PQ (which is pretty good to my eyes) with another player like the S77.

Thanks
Kafou

One thing I don't talk about, is that the PQ of the NS70H is better than the picture of my cheap curtis player plugged in component at 480p, I can't test it at 480i via component with this player.

Kafou

#41 ·
ricoman said:
I looked at several upconverting dvd players including the Toshiba. As you can see from the spec, it doesn't play +R media. Most of my backups are +R so I went with the LG DVB418 and am very happy with it. For the price (approx. $179 at Circuit City or Best Buy, but I've seen it on sale for as low as $149) it's a best buy, plays every thing. If you play DL discs, make sure you set the booktype to dvd-rom when you burn it. It is really very near HD quality, actually better than some of the mediocre HD channels, but not quite as good as the really good ones. All in all, I've had it for 5-6 months and would buy it again if I was looking now. Only thing is that you need to buy an HDMI cable, it doesn't come with it.
ricoman,

Thanks for the info. However I think I will lean towards the proven Panny S77 with the DCDi Faroudja technology. I read that review comparing all players, the Oppo and the Panny faired very well compared to players in the $1K+ price bracket which is very reassuring.

brown said:
I have the Panasonic S77. Very happy with it. No macroblocking.

The colours and sound quality is beyond the capability of our basic year old ($120 at the time) Toshiba dvd player.

Both my wife and I enjoy watching dvd's much more now.
brown,

I'm glad to hear that you aren't experiencing any macroblocking with this unit as the S97 did have that as a problem. Maybe they have resolved this issue with the S77. We have an older Pio 5disc DVD changer and it's only got component connections. This will have to be upgraded once we get our Tosh 52" DLP. Which TV are you hooking it upto and via what connection type?

Thanks. :cool:

#42 ·
MediaRoomManiac said:
I'm glad to hear that you aren't experiencing any macroblocking with this unit as the S97 did have that as a problem.

I still don't know where this is coming from. I read countless reviews before getting the S97 and it wasn't an issue with v540 as well as the previous release to that.

I guess to each there own.........I have played with the settings a lot and have used some recommened settings which were posted at AVS so maybe settings could have something to do it.

#43 ·
CamG said:

Thanks,
Cam
Couple things:

1) Don't use MOnster cables as most people here will tell you they're not worth the price
2) the Sony DVD player only upconverts with HDMI not component (like 99% of them)

#44 ·
DeadManInc,
Thanks for the response. I hear what your saying about the Monster Cables, Unfortunately I let someone talk me into them and know I own them.... Next time I will do a little more research before buying. Also thanks for the clarification on the component video issue. I am thinking that is the reason for not seeing any PQ difference

Does the S97 up convert over component video ?
If not I am going to have to switch my cable box over to component and use that DVI input for the DVD player.... and I am really concerned about compromising my HD signal on the Cable box.

I am starting to think that I may need to purchase a DVI switch box of some kind.

Cam

#45 ·
I have just purchased a Toshiba SD6980 and have it hooked up through HDMI to my 72MX195. So far I have watched most of Batman Begins and have it set to 1080i with RGB-Expanded. So far so good. As you can imagine there are a lot of dark scenes in BB. As I watch more and try SACD and DVD-A on it I'll report back more thoughts. BTW, picked it up for $199 from my TV dealer.

#46 ·
CamG said:
DeadManInc,
Thanks for the response. I hear what your saying about the Monster Cables, Unfortunately I let someone talk me into them and know I own them.... Next time I will do a little more research before buying. Also thanks for the clarification on the component video issue. I am thinking that is the reason for not seeing any PQ difference

Does the S97 up convert over component video ?
If not I am going to have to switch my cable box over to component and use that DVI input for the DVD player.... and I am really concerned about compromising my HD signal on the Cable box.

I am starting to think that I may need to purchase a DVI switch box of some kind.

Cam
No problemo..

A friend of mine recently went to The Brick and got the free 52" HDTV with a 3 piece couch set. I talked to him the next day and said "what do you know about cables?" I told him "Don't buy monster cables as they're too expensive!". Turns out the salemen talked him into speding $400 on a couple cables (he's a mechanic by trade). but I digress.

To my knowledge the LG 7832 is the only player that upconverts via component, but only with an unoffical firmware update.

#47 · (Edited)
Hossss said:
Im also looking at a new dvd player.. and I need some recomondations...
Requirements are
-Up convert to 1080i, tv only suppots this format for some reason :(
-The up converting needs to be threw the componets
-The player needs to be within a reasonable price..
- perfer one that can up convert all material, and with no firm ware updates but can do the firm ware if needed

The componets upconverting can be changed if some one knows if i can display 1080i threw the bell high def reciver 6100 without the HDMI output

BtW this new restrictions on newbies creating a thread is wierd, wondering if this will ever be read and responded to.
There are only two players that can do upconvert 1080i via component that is under $200, LG 7832 but it is hard to find now and need older firmware and the new Samsung 850 (I heard Walmart is selling it for $159.99 compare to Futureshop at $199.99) which need a remote code hack (pressing angle and then some numbers and angle on the remote), hope this help.

The above two after either firmware change or remote hack can upconvert all material.

The LG 531 can also upconvert 1080i via component but limited to unprotected/uncopyrighted material (backup copies), there is no hack/firmware to change it since I heard it is hard coded in the conversion chipset.

#48 ·
#49 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my original post. I have been continuing my research on what DVD player to get in an effort to extract the maximum quality out of the Superbit DVDs I got on sale from FS ;)

The more I research about this thing though, the more apparent it becomes that the picture quality as well as the presence/absence of problems (macroblocking in particular) seem to be a product of the combination of DVD player and the HDTV that one is using.

For example, I have read postings at AVS that seem to indicate that the Denon 2910 combined with Samsung HLP series DLPs (I have an HLP5685W) seem to result in macroblocking being apparent in some DVDs (esp. those with dark or foggy scenes). I am now leaning towards getting a player that does not use the Farouja DCDi... perhaps a Sony or a Pioneer.

#50 ·
cyclocommuter said:
I am now leaning towards getting a player that does not use the Farouja DCDi... perhaps a Sony or a Pioneer.
Faroudja DCDi should be taking care of deinterlacing of the material that comes from interlaced sources (i.e. live video footage, videotaped TV shows, etc.). Movie sources do not require deinterlacing since full movie frame can be fully recovered by 3:2 pulldown.

#51 ·
testikoff said:
Faroudja DCDi should be taking care of deinterlacing of the material that comes from interlaced sources (i.e. live video footage, videotaped TV shows, etc.). Movie sources do not require deinterlacing since full movie frame can be fully recovered by 3:2 pulldown.
Not sure if all DCDi does is deinterlacing, it appears it also does anti-aliasing (gamers/photoshoppers are familiar with this term) based on the blurb below I got somewhere on the web:

DCDI® by Faroudja

With DCDi, video material is analyzed at single pixel granularity to detect the presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth and natural looking image without visible artifacts or "jaggies". DCDi eliminates jagged edges normally seen on angled lines in motion video, creating smooth and natural-looking images.

Here is another blurb for a kenwood DVD player:

Video features include progressive scan and 2:3 pulldown using a 54MHz/10-bit video DAC and Faroudja Lab's DCDi™ processor (which removes undesirable jagged edges) for a reference quality picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.