Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Nimiq 6 (New Bell Satellite) Discussion

113K views 286 replies 59 participants last post by  AETGSA 
#1 ·
On March 15th Nimiq 6 arrived at Baikonur in preparation for a May 17th launch on the Proton-M/Briz-M vehicle. Nimiq 6 will be placed at 91.1.

#216 ·
I'm curious. Do different receivers give different strenght readings? IE a 3100 vs 6131 assuming you have both hooked up to the same dish in the same house? I no longer have any 3100 just 3 6131 & 1 9231 and the readings are the same. Just wonder if the readings would be different on a 3100 minus the TRS that just have HD?

#217 ·
All electronics differ slightly, so YES signal strength reading can and do vary, between the same models even.

@MCIBUS, pretty sure your PVR is a 9241.

#219 ·
Lindsay649
But is anyone losing any channels or problems with reception. Changes or perceived changes in the transponders may all be part of the testing process.
Yes, I have had problems recording shows that I record on a regular basis, like 1 hour of blank screen of Jimmy Fallon.

I have also noticed channel 213 PPV1, 299 PPV2 and #? PPV3 which have been mingled with the regular channels, that show up even though I have PPV locked and the setting to hide locked, yet they still appear. I believe it maybe part of channels and transponder juggling as the new Nimiq 6 comes on line. Resolved by locking those channels out directly.

PS. MCIBUS, my 3100 has the most sensitive tuner, it is the last one of my units to stop receiving when rain-fade has knocked all the others out.

#221 ·
It doesn't get a "better signal", it's just the algorithm programmed to the receiver is such that it shows the signal as being one thing, one another IRD might show it as another.

One IRD might show a better signal on the same dish, but signal craps out around 60, where as another receiver might read a lower signal on a clear day compared to the former but still show a picture till the 40 mark.

#222 ·
The 91 slot seems to have had ample room for more channels since a long time. We have learned that there are at least four transponders that have nothing to do with sd channel delivery. So one would think that Bell has loads of room for new channels.
Was mentioned earlier not to put too much energy into waiting for N6 to come online.. however without the observations did we know that they have 4 tp's not broadcasting anything? Certainly not.

#223 ·
I don't actually know if N6 is up and running yet or not, but it seems odd that some of readings have gone up.

Now the only true way of finding out is those in "The Far South" if they had a signal on certain trs and now there's nothing you most likel know N6 is up and running.

In any case by late July or late Aug by the latest you know N6 is up running.

#227 ·
I don't actually know if N6 is up and running yet or not, but it seems odd that some of readings have gone up.

Now the only true way of finding out is those in "The Far South" if they had a signal on certain trs and now there's nothing you most likel know N6 is up and running.

In any case by late July or late Aug by the latest you know N6 is up running.
Bayguy and ADM222 from our southern provinces have both reported loss of a few transponders. This could be because they are using a SD receiver and these transponders have switched to HD or because they are now out of the footpath.

#231 ·
Normals for my meter are 12.9 to 13.3 on 91 and anywhere from 15.0 to 15.6 on 82. Lately on some installs my 91 signal has been as low as 12.1-12.4 even when 82 is what it is normally. Then sometimes it's spot on like normal.

Nothing different about my method.....using the same single LNB to point with and still getting different results.....skew and elevation spot on as always, but it's driving me up the wall trying to figure out if it's the satellite or the tech. :p

#232 ·
I've noticed that lately too. We had some heavy rain here a few days ago that actually knocked out most of the transponders on 91 at my house, where I've never had a problem before with any weather. It will be nice when N6 is fully functioning, but until then it's making things slightly more difficult lol

#233 ·
As of this morning, almost every Transponder on Bell 91 is at 100%, except for TP 5, 9, 11, 17 which don't work on SD receivers, and TP's 29, 30, 31, 32 are still low.

I'm guessing that the new Nimiq6 is almost 100% operational, because I had only 4 TP's at 100% before.

#240 ·
Lucky you! I haven't a single transponder over 75 this morning. Reception seems fine however so I'm not worrying yet.

(Nasty rumor down in the Maritmes that Bell Aliant want everyone to switch to their local TV service and that to encourage this they have arranged to make the satellite's footprint less than optimal in this area).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.