Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Was adding Howard Stern as a judge on AGT a good move or bad?

• Good Move

Votes: 53 65.4%
  • Bad Move

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • No Idea

Votes: 9 11.1%

Howard Stern new judge on Amercia's Got Talent

7K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  rob1 
#1 ·
Can't say I like the thought of this.

I just started watching AGT this past season. Really like Piers Morgan as he seemed to be the most sensible judge.

So instead of Piers, I guess we will get T&A comments/jokes!

#29 ·
I still enjoy AGT but I miss Piers.

I'm okay with Stern but I am surprised at how boring he his. Like Sharon and Howie, he seems to fawn too much over crowd favourites.

What I found refreshing about Piers is that he was a foil to Howie and Sharon.

Piers would often be critical of crowd favourites that were more novelty acts than truly talented. Also Piers wasn't sucked into the sentimental schmultzy stuff. Several times this year, AGT has had some moderately talented acts that clearly are working the patriotism angle and in very case, Sharon, Howie and Especially Howard have been all dewey eyed.

#30 ·
I don't think it matters too much who judges the acts on AGT; it's all about the acts. If the networks had told us that they were bringing back vaudeville, we would probably have avoided the show like the plague. If they told us they were bringing back an Ed Sullivan type program then ratings would not be all that high; but pretend that the pop singers, comedians, ballet dancers, circus acts and opera singers are part of a talent/reality show, and millions of people will tune in. As far as the judges go, the audiences will get accustomed to anyone after a while, and learn to love or hate them, it doesn't matter, because it's all about the separate, unrelated acts grouped together; it's all about bringing vaudeville back to TV. As long as the audience thinks that it is hip and modern they/we will watch it.

#31 ·
Francois Caron said:
Definitely appreciative of his honesty and candor.
Yes, my thoughts were along the same lines.

Howard Stern will probably definitely speak his mind. Which should prove quite entertaining for the audience and the viewers.

[ But could be a little hard on the performers / contestants ]

Knowing what little I do know about Howard Stern, having heard him a little on Montreal Radio, before he got taken off the air in Montreal (I think it was CHOM FM, back in the late 1990's - correct me if I am wrong).

He was wide open, entertaining - and certainly rude and crude.

He did not hold back much then.

Yet some are saying he's very restrained on the TV show.

Makes me want to tune in and watch - it should get quite a few more viewers interested to tune in ... for sure.

Until - I predict - Stern blows a fuse really good just once on live TV - we are all hugely entertained - and the whole WORLD is shocked ! Once again. Imagine that.

... And the Cycle completes itself once again.

Should be very interesting to watch.

I love it ... I love it .. I LOVE IT !!!

#32 ·
Howard Stern will probably definitely speak his mind
What does that mean? Probably definitely????

#35 ·
I think you all understand the meaning I wish to convey.

I am posting on a FORUM.

I am Not writing an Essay for English class to be marked.

This is not an English class.

I never liked English class anyway.

Not appreciated.

The original post was reported - using the correct procedure on the Digital Forum, and I waited several days - but nothing was done.

So I waited patiently and then decided I needed to respond myself.

That was the first time I have ever reported a post on the Forum.

Cheers ! And smilie faces to all as well.

#36 ·
I watched part of the first live performances tonight, and it will more than likely be my last of the season. They went with a much bigger stage this year and it is now way too flashy and busy. There are so many lights there now that it detracts from the acts (especially dancers), and the camera crew decided to focus more on these stage effects than the acts themselves.

The sound in tonight's episode was atrocious as well; way too much reverb/echo, and the singers were being drowned out by the backing tracks.

Got through 4 acts and said "enough is enough." Hopefully they realize what a mistake this was and tone things down visually & fix the audio issues, but I'm not holding my breath (I remember last year was plagued by audio issues galore).

#37 ·
I'm "speed watching" the show i.e. watch the recording with the finger on the "fast-forward" button. I'm especially interested in what the judges have to say about the acts which I've already see in one form or another during the previous weeks.

I really have to say again that I'm impressed with the judging. They may have a few differences (Big Barry's act being the biggest one), but every judge was able to properly express their reasons for their choices, all without becoming hostile or just plain nasty against any of the acts. This is a huge improvement over that anal orifice Pierce Morgan. :p

As for the acts themselves, it's a tough call, mainly because I've yet to see a standout act. Yes, Andrew De Leon (Goth guy with blue/white eyes) was definitely a contender, but regrettably he choked during the Vegas auditions and blew it.

The closest act that interests me is the stand-up comic Tom Cotter, but I get the feeling he's too much of an established professional to really qualify to be on the show. In fact, here's a video of his stint on Jay Leno. See if you recognize any of the jokes.

#38 ·
This is a huge improvement over that anal orifice Pierce Morgan.
Wow, what an incredibly rude and ignorant thing to say.

#40 ·
I'm making no apologies for my statement. Pierce Morgan was a bully on the show, just like he was a bully on the UK show, and in his previous careers in the television and newspaper industries. He likes to pick fights, and provokes people like the professional troll that he's always been.

Howard Stern however has behaved like a true professional. Even when he had to criticize someone for their poor performance, he never turned it personal. He explains what he feels went wrong with the act without demolishing the person or questioning their species. In fact, how many of the people he criticized for their poor performance have attacked him for his opinion? Very few. Heck, some even got away with getting a hug from Stern on stage!

For me, losing Morgan and gaining Stern has made the show not only watchable, but also enjoyable. And for that alone, I'm grateful.

Also, "cloaca"??? Morgan isn't a bird! Then again, he could probably qualify as a possum. :p

#41 ·
I am quickly losing interest in the show. I'm a big Stern fan and tuned in to see for him. While he's doing good and all the judges are reasoned and provide insights. I don't really see anyone in the batch that could pull off a Vegas show for more than a week. I could see it if you took several of the acts and presented them all together, but not on their own.

I had the same complaint as BGY11 with regards to the staging and audio. The very first brass band act was completely ruined with all the people jumping around and waving on the edges of the stage. A few acts were lost in all the background audio and noise.

My last complaint is one you see all the time now with this show and Idol as well. The camera directing these days is so terrible. In a stupid effort to create excitement or what ever they're trying to achieve, the picture jumps around way too much creating a real disconnect with the people watching. You miss the over all effect of sitting in an audience being able to take in the whole stage and you miss whole portions of the act sometimes while they flash so you can see the face of one of the judges. Pick an angle where we can all see the whole act and after it's done. Simple and effective.

#42 ·
I just found out today that the clogging group "All That" which was brought back for the Wildcard show was actually in the Top 3 of Season 1. They shouldn't have been allowed to come back at all after doing that well (my opinion, if you make it past Vegas one year, that should be it).

EDIT:

...and this was before I realized they actually got through as the judge's choice tonight... wow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.