Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Noisy PS3

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  mvrana 
#1 ·
The fan on my PS3 is very noisy and start around 20 minutes after the beginning of a movie. Anyone have this problem?

#10 ·
What sound

If I am using my entertainment system, PS3 or Music or HDMovies, its louder that a PS3 fan....seriously, my 60GB PS3 is quiet, best all around device, ever!

#11 ·
I think mine must be unusually loud. It's in an entertainment unit, but has plenty of headspace and space around (about 1" all around, and open back). The fan comes on pretty much right away, and is noticeable on anything than a loud action movie. Maybe I should call Sony.

#21 ·
I recommend it. That's what I have done and they agreed to exchange the unit under warranty. My fan would rev up to full speed almost immediately after inserting a BluRay disk and it was audible from two rooms away. If you get someone who says "it's normal," be insistent or try calling back later to get another agent.

Mark

#13 · (Edited)
My PS3 is also in a cabinet with about 5" all around and vent cutouts in the back. With the front doors slightly ajar for air circulation the PS3 fans come on full blast at around an hour into a movie. At 8 feet away inside my cabinet It was loud enough to distract me at quieter scenes.

My solution, added a 4" computer fan into the back of the cabinet to help increase air flow. The PS3 is now always quiet and the added noise from the computer fan is minimal.

edit: That's weird, my post went into the wrong thread. Admins please move to "Noisy PS3". Thanks.

#14 ·
ps3 fan noise

My 80 gig has fan noise from the moment you turn it on,this is my second unit as the first the fan noise was audible from 10 feet away.I have it on top of my center channel speaker with plenty of ventilation.The second 1 is a lttle bit quieter but not by much,overall though I like the unit.

#18 ·
My 80 gig has fan noise from the moment you turn it on,this is my second unit as the first the fan noise was audible from 10 feet away.I have it on top of my center channel speaker with plenty of ventilation.The second 1 is a lttle bit quieter but not by much,overall though I like the unit.
Is it OK to put the PS3 on top of a speaker? I am thinking of purchasing one, but am short of space. I thought about putiing it on top of one of my speakers, but was concerned about vibration from the speakers afftecting the PS3.

#16 ·
My 80G PS3 get's loud too.

Its standing up on it's side just behind the right side of my Bravia.

When I first turn it on it is silent, but after about 30 minutes or so of watching a DVD or Blu-Ray you can hear it in quieter sceens.

Interesting thing, for when I'm playing games like Stardust HD I don't really hear it much. Maybe I just have the sound up too high to hear it. I'll try the games with the volume down to see how it is.

Does anyone else notice that it lound when watching a DVD or Blu-Ray but not bad when playing games?

#24 ·
My 40GB fan kicks in and out occasionally but isn't particularly noisy to the point of distraction. It's in the AV rack behind a glass door with a wide open back and about 5 inches free space above and about 2 inches on either side for ventilation. The rack is about a foot from the wall too.

#27 ·
I just had my 60 gig PS3 replaced, and the fans haven't kicked in playing blu-rays either. Sometimes they come in when playing a DVD (I guess due to upsampling) but they're still not nearly as loud as the first unit was. And anyhow, I have my HD-DVD player (anyone remember those? they were kind of like blu-ray players, but used a different disc) for upsampling DVDs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.