Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Cable promotions, programming packages and pricing discussion 2012

Tags
shaw cable
398K views 1K replies 207 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Shaw Cable in 2012.
This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Shaw or investigating what is available on Shaw.
This thread replaces the previous thread, for 2011.

#197 ·
Promo Code 841 a good deal?

Hi,longtime Shaw customer Internet and TV.Thinking of getting Shaw Phone too as even at normal rate is cheaper than Telus. This deal, promo code 841, came in the mail;

We can add home phone to our package (Basic Cable, HD Plus grandfathered, Extreme Internet) for first month free then $14.95 per month for a year, also unlimited LD to US and Canada for 12 months.

Would we be better off with this deal or one of the new packages? We watch mostly HD, need the sports and time shifted stations, also love the new Discovery World. Does anyone know if that's available as a per month fee like for example Game Show Network is? We live in Victoria, B.C.

Thanks you guys....

#198 ·
Jetranger, can you post what exactly you are getting and the cost? It sounds like we have similar plans (tiers and all)

I am at the following (from most recent bill)

Digital Classic & Movies 83.95
Double Play Discount -10.00
Home Phone Voicemail and Call Waiting 5.95
Home Phone Basic xxx-xxx-xxxx 30.95
Distinctive Ring yyy-yyy-yyyy 3.95
Total Current Monthly Services $114.80

When I spoke with the concierge chat last week, they indicated I already got Space HD as part of one of the 3 tiers which was cool as that's the one HD channel I really wanted to get. Then we got talking about losses and gains from switching to the SPP in both HD and SD channels. After a lot of back and forth, the CSR indicated that just adding HD Plus would give me basically all the other HD channels (the ones I wanted anyways) for an additional $16/month ($8/month for first 2 months) so I took that. The CSR also indicated that based on the channels we use, (SD/Analog) switching to SPP would NOT be recommended for us.

This will put me closer to $135/month after the 2 month promo expires. So really curious to know what kind of deal the offered you in more detail.

#202 ·
Another way to view the specific SPP Channel Lineup for your area, is to go to www.shawpersonalizer.ca. On the first page, click 'Skip The Quiz'. Enter the first 3 digits of your postal code, and on the next page there will be a link to the correct Channel Lineup for that postal code.

#204 ·
^ should double-check your bill. That's not the rate for High Speed (7.5).

The price for High Speed is $52.00 as a standalone service, or $42.00/mo if you have another Shaw service (such as Basic Cable or Home Phone Basic). If you are being charged $59.85 for "High Speed" (not Extreme or Broadband 50), then you should call Shaw to discuss your bill.

#205 ·
Jetranger: thanks for confirming I'd have to change to DOCSIS 3.0 modem for BB50

Jason316: thanks for suggesting HS20 to save a bit more money... however it only provides 512Kbps upload speed and that's not enough for my Slingbox. that's why I have Extreme right now. The download speed of either is plenty fast enough for me, but you only get higher than 512 on Extreme or above.

but if I have to switch to BB50 when I go for SPP bundle the internet part of the package is ~$16 more than what I actually need with Extreme. reduces my savings with the otherwise interesting-at-first-glance Best of HD pack.

here I thought Shaw was making the choices simpler with the new package...

#208 ·
HDPlus pkgs from Shaw w/HD Box - Opinion needed

Hi there. I currently live in Powell River, BC Canada. Shaws HDPlus pkg is pretty low quantity compared to other regions. Fact-> Vancouver/Victoria/Nanaimo/Courtney/Comox etc receive about 42-43 HD Channels in the HDPlus pkg. That seems to be the average around my area, including small communities such as Bowen island (pop-3000) with about 42 HD channels available to them under this same pkg.
Here in Powell River, pop 18,000+, we receive 29 HD Channels.
I get East Coast American feeds in HD, as well as thier counterparts in the Pacific Time zone. As well, we receive Toronto's -Global, and CBC feeds. We receive NO CTV in HD whatsoever, as well, we get NO Local, Regional Global, CBC or CTV in HD. Weird. It would seem I pay the same as other areas.
I have asked about this, and the response was that we get 'the old Victoria feed...'... I fully intend to push this issue.
Unfortunately, I cannot get Satellite in my area as I am behind a mountain. And of course, no OTA signals available here. HOW can I get the same level of service from Shaw as everyone else? Opinions...please...

#209 ·
Apart from the outrageous idea of moving to a bigger locale, you really are out of luck, until Shaw upgrades your area. You may be able to complain that you do not get the same value for you $$$ as neighboring communities and they may throw you a bone or two. Hopefully a helpful Shaw employee will see your post and offer some assistance.

#210 ·
Thanks for the move :)

New here so Thanks to whomever for placing my post in the appropriate category.
As far as my post goes on about Shaw and thier 'lite' service here in Powell River, I am quite happy with them, haven't had any HUGE downtime issues, and the Net HAS been upgraded so all is well there.
I would ask tho', that if someone from Shaw sees this...look into it, please.

:)

#211 ·
sibble-comp and S.Chan, Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I have been away and using a smart phone for keeping up and missed this thread somehow.

Here is my current bill (really not at all similar to yours, s-c):

Tier 2 11.00
Basic Cable 40.95
HD Plus Package 12.00
Movieclub 12.00
Extreme 62.00
Total Monthly Bill $134.35

(NOTE:When I call in and ask about my account, the reps tell me they can see the first item on my account is the '-$5.00 Purchased Modem' discount but they can't explain to me why it doesn't actually show up on my printed bill. Can you say 'rip off'?)

Under the 'new' offer, I am getting:
Tiers 1,2,3
Basic Cable
HD Plus
BB50
Phone

All of the above for $114.92, tax included.

This is for 12 months and I was told after that time I can 'call and see what they can offer me at that time'. The 'pitch' for the above is that BB50 is 'free' for the 12 months and the Phone is only $5/month. Phone is supposed to have free North America long distance and three calling features: Call display, Call Waiting and Voice Mail. The new modem for BB50 is a 'free rental' to go with the service. I guess the discount comes from the 'loyalty' people/department/program or whatever you or they might be calling it.

I am actually on the phone right now with a rep checking it all and he has confirmed it. He also just offered me Movie Central, that includes Movieclub, for 2 months at half price. Regular price is $17/mo so it will only be $8.50 for the first couple of months, further reducing my 'new' bill. After the 2 months, the price will go up to the regular $17 if I decide to keep it and the total monthly bill will be right at $120, all in. That's still almost $15/mo less than I am paying now and I would have all the Movieclub content I have now along with the SD movie channels and the two HD ones, including HBO Canada as well as included VOD programs.

Kind of a sweet deal so I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually all comes through today or if it will take a day or two to actually get sorted out.

#227 ·
This is for 12 months and I was told after that time I can 'call and see what they can offer me at that time'.
Thanks for sharing your plan details. Though, from the many other posts online about Shaw promos, I would be a bit worried about them actually extending your price (or giving you something similar) after the 12 month promo expires.

best of HD will cost $35 on Feb 5th. Existing subscribers are grandfathered at $20. Medium SPP will include entertainment 1 and sports 1 instead of BoHD.
Wow, that's disappointing. First they increase their DCX3400 and gateway/portal pricing and now this.

I wonder if this has to do with their launch of Shaw EXO?

For new customers and those changing their package - the Medium Simple Bundle will now include the Sports 1 and Entertainment 1 packages which include several of our highly popular HD channels such as The Score, TSN 2, A&E, Showcase, and many others.
So, Shaw is just trying to upsell customers to the Large and X-Large bundles (if they stay the same price)?

#212 ·
The $5 modem discount is something to be ignored. It's not actually a discount, what they do is they increase the price of the internet to $5 more than the advertised price (Extreme $67), and then apply the $5 modem discount to bring it back down to the advertised price (Extreme $62). The Double Play Discount is then applied to bring it down to the bundled price (Extreme $52).

The free modem rental is part of the BB50 offering. Shaw doesn't sell Docsis 3 modems, so you have to rent a modem; Shaw doesn't charge a rental fee, so it's a "free rental".

As far as whether you're getting "free BB50" and "$5 phone", we'd have to add up and compare:

In AB, $114.92 is $109.45 + GST (no PST)
Regular prices:
Classic Cable $66.95
HD Plus $12.00 (grandfathered rate)
BB50 $59.00
HP Basic $24.95
VM/CW $ 5.95
free NALD 12mos $0
total: $168.85
current rate: $109.45
savings: $ 59.40

So, you're saving $59.40/mo , which is nothing to sneeze at, but to say that you're getting free BB50 AND $5 phone ($78.95 value) would be a bit of an overstatement.

#220 · (Edited)
Please post a link to where this is on [the competing forum].
Posting links to competing forums is not allowed under the DHC rules.

No posts detrimental to the growth and well-being of this forum - Threads or posts whose intent is to steer a member or members away from the Digital forum are not allowed. This include threads that are self promoting and attempting to get members to visit forums with the same subject matter (i.e./ Check out this great website!) or posts that answer a members question by simply referring a member to another forum (i.e./ Goto xyzforum.com and you'll find all your answers there). Since intent is difficult to assess, this rule will be enforced at the discretion of the moderator.

#221 ·
This will suck if its true. My intro deal expires on feb 23. I called in the other day to go from hdplus to best of hd. They said they could postdate the change.

I'm guessing i'd get stuck with the new rate. Maybe I should give it a day to read this forum.. if it seems the rate really is going up, i can try and get them to push it through tomorrow.

#222 ·
I too would like confirmation or denial of this rumor from anybody on the board that works for Shaw. I am currently on the legacy, b/c i am getting a good deal on my internet, my promo ends May 31, But in the long-term would save more money if i got best of hd before it goes up.

#223 ·
Better not be a Frakkin Price Increase

Here's my bill as it stands today

Funny, I can't even log in to my account right now...the login slots are simply not there on the page.

Anyhow, Here's my bill as it stands

Current Monthly Services 17 Feb - 16 Mar 2012

Digital Classic 66.95
Shaw Digital terminal 11.95
Shaw Digital terminal Discount -9.00
HD Plus 16.00
Extreme 62.00
----------------------------------------------
Total 137.90

Keep in mind as per my previous post that we here in Powell River only get 29 HD Channels, and NO Regional, Local, Global, CTV or CBC in HD. Everyone else in our region seems to get 40-43 HD Channels including Global, CTV, and CBC from Vancouver. I already tried calling, and all I get is "...well maybe you can reduce some pkg's to make it more cheaper..." seriously. No offer whatsoever on reduced costs.
I need to hear from others in our area (BC) what your similar pkg rate is. If it's near or at the same, then I have a case. Actually, I would be quite happy if they would just upgrade our HD service here. I mean even Bowen Island with a pop of 3000 gets better service than our city.

Not lettin' this go..... >:-|

#225 ·
I just had another thought.

What if they're just redoing the best of hd package. IE the current one omits HDnet, Oasis, and Discovery World. I wonder how many people just added those 3 channels on anyways. If the $35 is a slightly different package that includes these 3 channels. It might actually save a buck or two?

I have also noticed they haven't removed the 5 new channels from my current hd plus package yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.