Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How would you rate purchasing from U.S. vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, etc.

• Excellent

Votes: 69 19.3%
  • Very Good

Votes: 89 24.9%
  • Satisfactory

Votes: 79 22.1%
  • Troublesome

Votes: 73 20.4%
  • Poor

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Never Again

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • I buy only from Canada, you insensitive, unpatriotic clod!

Votes: 24 6.7%

Purchasing From U.S. Vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, other Issues, etc.

140K views 564 replies 239 participants last post by  e268 
#1 ·
I want to order some things from Parts Express Online. They are situated in Dayton OH. The UPS charge for shipping (calculated through Parts Express online ordering) is like $17 USD.

Now my question is, does this charge cover shipping to my door or will I be zinged for some "hidden" charge or duty or something?

Anyone have any experience ordering from Parts Express?

#183 ·
a little help please

OK, so I am buying an amplifier for my car. The amp here goes for roughly $400 CAD. I can get the amp from the US for $199 USD plus $14 USD shipping through UPS Ground. So the total would be $213 USD = $255 CAD roughly. Then add in duty, tax, brokerage fees. Is it even worth it??

Another shop has the same amp for $249 USD including shipping from US Postal Services. Which would be the better option?? or just buy it here??

#185 ·
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

You would pay $38 + tax +taxes. Most electronics (Almost all) are duty exempt or have very little duty charged. So your total would be no less than $199 x 1.15 = $228.85 + $38 = $266.85 x 1.14 = $304.21.

Because of the screwball way that Canada Post handles the import regs, it is likely that you will not get chared taxes or anything else. That other option would likely cost you no more than $286 CDN. If CP does bill you the taxes, then you are looking at an additional $40. Theoretically more than the UPS way.

I, for one, would be more concerned about the warranty issues...

#187 ·
I always try to get shipped via the USPS as there is only a $5 fee charged by Canada Post.
Certainly not a huge increase but it is now $8 for most shipments. And as always, that is if they even charge you!!!

Man...

I have been thinking that if this class action business goes the wrong way (Lost on the grounds that it is actually legal), the loophole with Canada Post is gonna get killed as the preexisting suit against CP by the courriers in Canada will end up with a serious precident that would let them win.

#188 ·
That UPS chart is completely inaccurate from my experience - I bought a car stereo faceplate for $5 on ebay. The seller did not ship by USPS as discussed, but rather UPS. I had to pay $30 in UPS brokerage fees (not duty/taxes) when it got to my door on top of the $6 shipping I had already paid. That is 600% of the original item cost!

According to that chart, I should not have had to pay anything.

I've had one other experience where I had to pay ~$30 in UPS/brokerage fees for an item worth about the same. This case is going back a few years though. The case above is only about a year or so back.

The sad part about that lawsuit is all it will do is screw the consumer. Instead of us having an affordable option, there is a good chance USPS/CP will just hike thier fees to match. I certainly hope not.

#190 ·
I got a refund the first time I dealt with UPS years ago as I called and complained since I was (honestly) not aware of these possible charges and shocked to be getting them a month later. The second time I just paid it as I couldn't be bothered arguing again - I never bother with UPS any more, this was just seller error in this case.

#191 ·
That is too bad you did not push it through.

One nasty trick that one friend of mine used to pull was to get the person recieving a package to call him when they got it and then he would track it 1 minute after the last possible time that the package was to be delivered. If it is not in the tracking system even if the package is in your hands, it is a GSR (Guaranteed service refund).

To this, the one thing that rots with ALL the carriers is that only the shipper of record can apply for the GSR.

#194 ·
Any way to get that story translated in English - I don't see anything that indicates this on the site.
Babelfish is the place to go.

I'll save you the trouble though...

The article is nothing new and continues to ignore the FACT that Canada Post is not bound by the same laws that actually force the courriers to HAVE to incur sizeable expenses to apply and track the paperwork for imported goods.

Also, contrary to what people think, NAFTA does not simply mean that you drive to the USA and bring back ANYTHING you want free of duty. If the product you bought in the USA (Or Mexico) was MADE in that country, then fine NAFTA applies. Otherwise, it does not.

#195 ·
In the story, the reporter said that most of the "paperwork" was actually transmitted electronically by UPS/FedEx to the Canadian customs.

They showed a customer going himself to do the brokerage instead of letting UPS do it. That way he saved 50$. They are also implying that UPS and FedEx are actually charging these fees to make so more profits. UPS and FedEx were contacted but refused to comment.

#196 ·
In the story, the reporter said that most of the "paperwork" was actually transmitted electronically by UPS/FedEx to the Canadian customs.
Yes. It is better to do things electronically for the sake that it keeps the government from increasing our taxes to pay for the massive warehouses that they would otherwise keep to store the import information. Also, without electronic transmission of the information to the CBSA, there would be an immediate return to the time when international deliveries took 4 to 6 weeks ALL the time.

They showed a customer going himself to do the brokerage instead of letting UPS do it.
Understand that this can ONLY be done if you are actually at the point of import IN PERSON. Not everyone can exactly do this. And besides, if you did it out of spite and you lived too far away from the border, you would have probably saved the gas money and wear and tear on your vehicle and then some.

And also on doing it yourself, understand that if you EVER get caught misdeclaring goods after the fact, the government will simply seize your goods if you are unable to prove your case with the paperwork (NEVER throw that stuff out).

They are also implying that UPS and FedEx are actually charging these fees to make so more profits.
And? Is this a communist country we live in here? Does a steak dinner at the OutBack actually cost what they charge you???

The Courrier LVS Program that is LAW in Canada states that the rates that are charged by a broker or brokerage equipped courrier are between it and its customer. There is NO UPPER LEGAL LIMIT. The only "limit" there is is that which borders on the truly blatantly outrageous.

Are you (and anyone else reading this) aware that there are literally 1000s of brokers in Canada? Are you also aware that the vast majority of them are charging a TON more than FedEx and UPS? The more interesting thing is that these other brokers, for the most part, will not do personal shipments AT ALL. They are purely in business for large importers, be they businesses or institutions like a university or a non-profit organization.

UPS and FedEx were contacted but refused to comment.
Given that they are being sued, they obviously cannot speak at this time.

#197 ·
You seem to be a little on the edge. I was just trying to give an outlook to the french impaired what the story was about.

The story was in french, was about two customers in Montreal and the UPS warehouse in Montreal is about, I'd say, 10 minutes away from the customs bureau, maybe less.

#198 ·
You seem to be a little on the edge.
Don't worry. Only because of the article and not you or it being posted.

If you read back through this thread all the way, you will see that I have spent a great deal of time trying to explain things as they REALLY are. Then I see these foolish and shallowly investigated "news" reports. It just drives me.

So many people in Canada know SO little in regards to the convoluted and draconian requirements forced on private industry and citizens, yet "The old boys network" connections of Canada Post get a full pass. Then I see these news articles that go out of their way to villify the private companies that are simply abiding by the law.

Something else I should point out is that as fast as I get agitated on this whole brokerage subject, I will say again and again, I use USPS so that the Canadian carrier is Canada Post and I recommend that anyone who can do it this way, do so.

#202 ·
Take note that they DO charge something but are unwilling to disclose it... Hmmmm.....
It is now confirmed that they do charge a fee but they mess around by calling it a, I QUOTE:

Michael D @ PBI said:
We make a small margin on the shipping and handling paid by the buyer, however there is no service charge per se. The amount is Variable on different items. I cannot give you a specific amount.
Whatever. :eek:

It is likely a percentage and if so, likely no higher (And probably not much lower) than the brokerage companies (And UPS and FedEx) once you get to the very high value items ($1000+).

Soooo.....

Although they are not up front (Not sure how good that is), they are cheaper than everyone else for very small items off of E-Bay. Too bad their system only works with E-Bay...

#203 ·
A freind sent me 2 t-shirts and a hat as a gift via UPS last year. When I finnaly got it they wanted $24 in various "fee's". I called them and told them it was supposed to be a gift. They said the t-shirts and hat are worth "x" amount of dollars, and their "fee's" are based on that.... even if the item was a gift.

I will NEVER have something shipped via UPS again. (Use USPS air or ground instead)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.