Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Euro 2012 on TSN

18K views 71 replies 32 participants last post by  MrGrinch 
#1 ·
Were getting close to the Euros! June 8th is the day it all kicks off. :D

Question: When do TSN plan on releasing the TV schedule for Euro 2012?

#39 ·
So, just to be 100% clear, will I be able to see all the matches in the Euro 2012 if I add TSN 1 & TSN 2? I am with BEV and my package does not have this!
Can someone please confirm!

Thanks

Paul

#43 ·
Please do not.

Maybe it is because where I am from, but I would rather have European sports like soccer or F1 be broadcast in their original form than in an 'Americanized' one. I like my sport shows to be sleek and clear rather than full of gimmicks, trivia and statistics.

Come to think of it, it is not just for European sports. The NHL Finals for example, I prefer CBC's presentation than NBC's.

On the other hand, the 'American' style of broadcast may be good for sports that have a lot of rules and a lot of stoppage. Gridiron football and basketball, for example.

#52 ·
Thankfully no sign of him in the first 2 games, no doubt he'll be on for the english losses :p

Anybody else think the tsn bug at the top of the screen was bigger and on longer in the 2nd game? Still not too distracting compared to others.

#50 ·
Regarding commentators, yes ESPN has provided better and authentic (i.e British-based) ones in recent years. However, TSN's simulcasts of ESPN's Premier League matches always include a commercial break right before kick-off and the scrolling of baseball scores, basketball news and other items irrelevant to soccer several times during matches. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Sportsnet's coverage that takes us UNINTERRUPTED from the players lining up to come out until half-time (and no annoying scrolls along the bottom of the screen! :eek:).

ESPN: commentary - good. Presentation - bad.

#54 ·
Graphics aren't appealing

To be honest, I was expecting a 16:9 full HD TSN showing of UEAF EURO 2012 ... boy was I disappointed. I would have thought TSN would use there MLS soccer score bug outside the 4:3 area but nope, its even worse, right in the middle!

At least CTV put some money to use, built them a new studio ... or was it shipped from ESPN or something to TSN ;) lmao.

#56 ·
In the second game, TSN had an issue and then briefly went to the ESPN feed, so that's how you heard Derek Rae. The downside: an American colour commentator who talked too much and referred to the match as the "ballgame". (YUCK!!) I wouldn't want an English commentator doing NFL or Hockey Night In Canada. Likewise, I don't want "Brad from Texas" on my Euro broadcast.

Wow, that's really what you guys want??!? :confused:

The score bug is actually quite good and non-intrusive. They just turn it on and off too much in some matches.

#58 ·
TSN bug

I don't understand why TSN has to put their bug on the screen while the score bug already says TSN, if TSN wants to put their bug on the screen, why can't the do what ESPN does and stick in outside the 4:3 safe area ... it's very annoying seeing it sitting in the middle of the screen ..

#68 ·
Meh...it's going to be hard to avoid it. So pick the game you want to watch the most. Even if the commentators don't whisper the score at the end, the body language of the players ought to tell you the outcome of the other. For instance if Italy beats Ireland but the players aren't rejoicing you can bet that Spain and Croatia finished in a 2-2 draw.

#70 ·
The TSN comentators cheesed me off a few days ago.I turned on the tv to watch the England-Sweden game , and they annouced the score of the earlier France-Ukraine game.I was planning on watching that game right after the England game. :rolleyes:

I miss the vuvuzelas ! :)

#71 ·
What did you really think would happen?

I'm sure people PVR the "other game" but they are smart enough to realize the game they are watching won't be spoiler-free, even more so if you post on Twitter/online/etc during the games.

If you decide not to watch your PVR'd game just because you saw the final score, you're doing it wrong.

#72 ·
There are countless examples on sports television where the commentators give fair warning before telling the score, or better yet don't even go there. It's just a common courtesy.

Last fall when both the Winnipeg Bombers and Jets played at the same time TSN specifically said they would not show highlights for those PVR'ing the "other" game and watching later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.