Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Video stores closing - On Demand pricing

6K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  whitbyterry 
#1 ·
With all these brick & mortar video stores closing, we are left with streaming movies via OnDemand/iTunes/CinemaNow........

Now I've noticed that Itunes and other providers charge their movies $4.99 for SD and $5.99 for HD.

Why is Rogers charging $5.99 for SD and $7.99 for HD?

Are they that hungry for profit?

This will make me go out and pay for an AppleTV and stream from their site.

Homer

#5 ·
I also now use Apple TV to watch movies now that there are no Blockbuster or Rogers renting Blu rays in my area. I try using the Zip kiosks when possible but they dont always carry the new releases that come out every week so I have to use my Apple TV for those movies. I wish Rogers would lower their on demand as $7.99 for HD movie is crazy !!!

#6 ·
im not trying to defend rogers here but rogers on demand does not require an internet connection it goes through the tv stb, but net flicks and apple tv require you to have the added expense of an internet connection thus why their movies might be cheaper?

if i had to calculate the cost of the monthly internet at 40 bucks, plus rent 8 movies, rogers on demand is starting to look a hell of a lot better deal. know what im sayin?

#8 ·
Paolo,

Your argument might be valid if the user in question only uses their internet connection to stream movies and nothing else. Netflix leverages "existing infrastructure". Just like Rogers VOD leverages the same existing infrastructure. The coax cable coming into your house.

You may point out that Netflix bandwidth counts against your monthly bandwidth allowance and Rogers OnDemand doesn't. I'd agree, but point out that this is a net neutrality issue.

I'd also point out that in many parts of Canada there are better ISPs that give you more bandwidth for your dollar.

#9 ·
I don't think ROD is a net neutrality issue. ROD through your STB is delivered via QAM not IP. When using ROD on your computer, it does eat up your bandwidth allowance. Only the ROD menu info is provided by IP on the new nextbox platform, the video itself is still delivered through QAM.

Rogers charges a premium for ROD movies as they know there are enough customers who will pay for the premium of having the latest movies delivered straight to your televisions. Many people still do not have nor do they understand the concept of media centre devices like AppleTV. In addition, there are quite a few households where the are still on old CRT televisions which aren't supported by AppleTV and other media centres without expensive adapters and many households still do not have internet by choice. Also, from my experience new releases on iTunes have usually only been available for outright purchase when they are first available on iTunes, whereas they are available for rental on right away on ROD.

#11 ·
im not trying to defend rogers here but rogers on demand does not require an internet connection it goes through the tv stb, but net flicks and apple tv require you to have the added expense of an internet connection thus why their movies might be cheaper?
And Rogers VOD requires you have an expensive Digital Cable subscription so that kind of throws that argument out the window.

#12 ·
No it does not... ROD does require a digital cable, but the expensive is only optional, there is such a thing as Digital cable for a low cost too. I have low cost digital cable, i bought a cheap STB for $40, thats = low cost. netflicks = purchase of a video game console or other device, which is $200+ range, and a good quality internet connection too, which isnt cheap, plus the more frequent you watch on netflicks, you have to pay attention to your bandwidth otherwise it will go over, last i checked, that was not the case with ROD. now lets get back on topic here.

#13 ·
You can get an Apple TV for $110. Rogers doesn't seem to sell the e940 anymore, and the cheapest HD box is over $300. I'm sure you can find it cheaper if you're willing to buy it used, but the same can be said of an Apple TV.

Entry level Rogers cable is $38/month. In most areas Rogers serves, you can get a 6 mbps DSL connection with a high enough cap that movie streaming is a non-issue for that cost.

I think the reason Rogers charges more is because they can. There are a lot of people who have and use their Rogers cable box already, so they know how it works, and they see the movies there. My parents have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 connected to their TV, but they still buy movies on Rogers on Demand, despite me repeatedly telling them it would be cheaper on the other platforms, for exactly those reasons.

Until everyone has the hardware and is using these services, Rogers will continue to charge a premium.

#14 ·
No it does not.
Sorry but you are incorrect. In order to "rent" a movie from Rogers Video on Demand, you must have a Rogers Digital Cable subscription and cable set top box.

#16 ·
not sure where to post this ...... seem like this is a logical location.

I am a Rogers customer with access to TMN and Rogers on Demand but.....
With the closure of Blockbuster and Rogers on Demand does not have my titles availible; where does one go to view say:
Thor and Captain America?

I dont care to buy them. It seems there is a large hole to fill for Canadian streaming.

EC

#18 ·
My experience with existing Canadian on-demand services is that prices are too high and and selection is pitiful. If a little 1998 startup like Netflix US can offer 12,000 titles for $8 per month, Rogers could do better. It's not as if Rogers doesn't have the technology and infrastructure. They just don't want to do it because their existing business model generates such huge profits.

where does one go to view say: Thor and Captain America?
Zip.ca?

#21 ·
Rogers should offer it's own Netflix like service with decent titles, and unlimited streaming that doesn't count against your bandwidth cap. If the content was good, that would lure Netflix customers over to Rogers. I can't believe they are not doing this. Yes I know about ROD online but that service doesn't cut it.

#22 ·
I totally disagree with this. Having the ISP give preferential treatment to their own services would be a totally unfair competitive practice. ISP should only provide their service and be totally neutral/indiscriminate on what travels through their network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.