Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Brama Telecom Discussion

36K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  raymondca 
#1 · (Edited)
They're offering pretty cheap voip lines @ $7.70/Month with 16 features and $9.90/Month with Unlimited Canadian LD. Does anyone have any experience with them?

#2 ·
I am also wondering if anyone has experience with this company. They are located in Toronto, and it looks like they can port numbers from a large number of area codes.

Currently, their deal is $9.90/mo which includes Canada-wide long distance. Other countries at per-minute rates (e.g. US is $0.02/min).

#5 ·
The Terms and Conditions state that unlimited free calls are 4700 min/month which is good enough for me and my wife. I'm checking my call history online everyday and the charge is zero. The total monthly charge in my account is $11.75 (9.90+911 Fee+tax) and the first month is free. When I signed up, they had a promo of free 500 min/month international long distance to land phones for a country of choice from a list of countries until the end of summer (August). I chose USA and the calls are free. I was charged $89 for the router but they credited me back the whole amount 2 days later. I'm using Rogers Lite internet (upload speed 256 kbps) and using the same speed for voice upload. Sometimes when I'm using internet, voice cracks up. May have to use Express. Other than that, it seems ok for the price.

#9 ·
I programmed the device myself from admin. Brama provided the proxy registration info, user ID and password. I just input those info and saved. Restarted cable modem, then computer and then SPA-2102. Client can program the device as they want. I even changed my Caller ID. Since the router has 2 phone jacks, I programmed the other jack for VOIPWISE and it works. Only thing is that I get charged by VOIPWISE 1 cent/min for calling the free destinations. That's another story.

#10 ·
Do they allow to set your caller id? This is important, because many don't - you set it, but they override it with the number they gave you.

Another point - 9.90 for just Canada, I dunno, it's not that good. Some offer Canada and US for that price, or a bit higher, just a bit: voipgo, and another provider I'm not allowed to mention on this forum :)

You guys should always see if you need a package - you can have "pay as you go" for 0.5c/min to Canada, so unless you talk A LOT it may eventually be cheaper.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
One Thumb Up, One Down

I was hopeful when I signed up with them.

There is no restrictions that I know of but:

They do claim that they have phone tech support, but its only a call center that records the problems and forwards them to support. It really sucks. The my voice mail quits every month and acts like it records messages.... They just disappear. The tech guys can take days to get to you, they are often not very helpful ether. It seems as though they have a set list of problems they will look at, and they don't go out of there way to serve you.

Communication is very poor.

Wish I signed up with someone else. Am looking for a new company. Again.... sigh.

#15 ·
4 Months, fingers crossed

I have been using Brama for 4 months now, and am generally satisfied with the service. I have had a few minor issues, but nothing bad enough to cancel them. For example, the last time I called for chicken delivery, they couldn't hear me, so I just called with my cell instead. The call quality is not a good as POTS, but better than a cell phone call.

For me, getting all the calling features, at that price point makes up for the minor issues.

#17 ·
Brama Telecom

A friend requested I pass on her experience with Brama Telecom in Toronto.

It took about a month to get her set up, involving a few phone calls saying it would be 'soon'.

Eventually I went over and got her partially set up. She was actually pretty much ready to go, but Brama hadn't told her that.

Here's her subsequent e-mail to me:

They hooked me up, and the service was awful. I wasn't even able to call all local numbers. Their customer service is almost non-existent. I called, and called, left messages but nothing.

Even when I managed to talk to them, before this, I could hardly hear them - that should have been a sign for me that the service is sucky.
She canceled in early September, still hasn't received her money back, and doubts she ever will.

#19 ·
i've had an opposite experience. First of all they tell right away - you don have to cancel your existing phone line, just set up their phone line and forward your call to a temporary number that they provide initially - that's the way i did it. If you don like it you are free to cancel it within the first month - there is a full refund. i personally have completely switched to brama cause i am making a lot of long distance calls within Canada witch saves me a tone of money.

#20 ·
signed up yesterday, trying it out

Same thing here, I am using a temporary number and I am forwarding my bell number for the first month to test it out. So far the other end of my conversation says that they can hear me fine. For $10.00 a month compared to $50 a month from Bell, I can live with the minor issues if/when they occur.

I have one other question, the $9.99 package includes no long distance charges across Canada, but when you place a call, do you still have to dial 1 first?

Thank you

Ray

#22 ·
Brama Telecom VOIP help

I've ordered their service a week ago while using my own device. I have access to the account on the web but they've still not provided me with a proxy. I've tried contacting them on multiple occasions with no avail. If anyone could tell me what proxy I should connect to and what I should use my UserID/Pass I would be forever grateful.

The device is a PAP2T-NA

#23 ·
very poor Customer care and technical support

I call March 29 and asked the technical support if i can active my line with my own adaptor “Linksys PAP2T “ They told me yes you can , then i Get your line , But they could not install it properly after 2-3 days we work on it in technical support someone told me if i buy the adaptor he will ship it to me Express post (April Firest ) and i will get in 3 days , so i buy the adaptor but still i did not receive it it more than 2 week i don’t have this line , i call too many time and ask for tracking number ,but they told me someone will call you , . My Experience with Berama is very poor Customer care and technical support , i radder get better service and pay more than service with no technical support and ignore the costumer. also i send 10 email with no replay

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys.
Don't pay them a cent. These guys do not know nothing about the business and do not care about their customers.
Don't waste your money. I'm telling you
I have been with them for 3 months and cancelled the service and they kept charging my card until I changed my credit card to get rid of them!!!
your life worth much more than this to talk to them for hours on the phone and they will keep denying any single issues.
YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

#27 ·
Just my two cents worth, I tried Brama and had very poor reception, at times while talking, it would just hang up on me. There were also times while I was listening that I could not hear or the person I was speaking to could not hear me. I called the tech number and sometimes I could leave a message, and other times it would just hang up. Of the 6 or 7 times I left a message for the tech to call me back, I was called only once. It took me almost a month tom get a hold of someone there to cancel my service. When I finally did get a hold of someone, they sent me a form that I had to fill out. I filled it out and sent it back and asked for a confirmation of the cancellation. It took 2 emails asking for confimation before I finally got it. After the email, I check my credit card and sure enough, they were still charging me for service. I called and actually spoke to a person and they admitted they " must have missed something" and then said they would re-embourse me in 2 months. (guess how pissed off I am at this point).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.