Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012

73K views 285 replies 79 participants last post by  duleylake 
#1 ·
Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630) will be updated from Current Version 06.22 to 07.33.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting June 6. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete. If you like, you can start the download manually by selecting "Start Download" in OPTIONS 4-7.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming weeks.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, as long as you are coming from 06.22.

What's new in this version?
The overall look/feel of the system is unchanged with this version. 07.33 contains a variety of minor updates and enhancements, along with enabling set-top Video On Demand, delivered via your high-speed internet connection. Many of the enhancements have been suggested by our customers and staff!

Other highlights include:
  • Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer. Channel, duration, and frequency can all be adjusted to automatically tune to your favourite program. Access via MENU --> Reminders --> Auto-tune (HDDSR) or MENU --> PVR --> Manual Timer (HDPVR).
  • Note: The entire duration is considered when setting manual auto-tunes and will create conflicts. Priority can be adjusted accordingly depending on your preferences.​
  • Faster Guide, Search, and PVR List Performance - Optimizations have been made and Guide and PVR List should now be noticeably faster to load and navigate.
  • Info Screen Enhancements - Long episode titles will now wrap to the next line; premiere/finale information is displayed on the "More Info" tab; and the HDTV icon has been shortened to HD.
  • HDPVR 630 Enhancements, including - Programs older than 30 days now list the month instead of the day in the PVR List; an hourglass icon now appears in the Guide when scheduling one-time recordings via the REC button; more consistent trickplay performance during recording playback.
  • Guide Loading/Guide Backup Changes - HDDSR units now maintain a 24-hour mini-backup of the Guide. Full data will still reload in <30 minutes following a reset or flush. HDPVR units will no longer display the "Loading" message when the Guide is being backed up.
  • Caller ID - Changes have been made to Caller ID which should yield more consistent performance in "marginal" locations with weak ring voltage or lots of noise on the line.

More details will be provided on Shaw Direct On Demand in the coming days!

See less See more
#132 ·
You hate Shaw, I gather that, so why do you stay with them?
I hate Bell and Rogers even more. Shaw the cheapest of 3 evils. It's the same BS over and over. Programming quality keeps going down and prices keep going up. Shaw just managed to bump my prices up again with bad support and a claim that I needed to switch packages to get VOD. That's the second or third increase since I subscribed last year. That's for no increase in services apart from VOD, which is basically on my dime (for internet and equipment costs.) There there are the two 630's I purchased just over a year ago.

SD 630 Support, it's nice that you are doing so much behind the scenes but why didn't you offer a solution in a reply to the posts in this thread?

I still hate Shaw, but hate Bell and Roger more.

#133 ·
I just spent another hour on the phone. The CSR repeated that VOD will not work with the Ontario Value Package. She also said that no price adjustments could be made. As a result, I suspended the account for 3 months. There are better options for VOD than Shaw's lame ass offering anyway. I can rent a lot of VOD programming for the $200+ that Shaw will not be getting this Summer.

#136 ·
VOD working?

We received the new receiver update the other day, hook up a internet line from our modem to our 630 receiver. Everything showed fine had a download speed available but for only SD programming. Try to purchase or watch a free program, first had a error code of 400. Contacted Shaw Direct and they said I was ready to go with the VOD after whatever they did. waited the required time to try again this time recieved a error code of 404. Are others have problems with VOD we have high speed internet? our speed test was about 5.00 gps. any ideas?

#138 ·
I was receiving 400 and 404 errors as well. That's when I got any response at all. That's what I hate about all these companies. When new features don't work, which often don't, they just feed you a bunch of FUD to force you onto more expensive options and packages. My only reason for subscribing to Shaw was to get the OVP. After only one year they screw me out of it with incompetence, lies and deceit. That's not to mention the hours of wasted time it took to get any kind of remedy, right or not. Then, when the situation and costs get unmanageable, they demand an extra 30 days "tribute" for the privilege of cancelling. It's no wonder these companies need government protection. Their products would never survive in an open market. I hate Shaw (and Bell and Rogers.)

#140 ·
What is a PM

I do not know what a PM is or how to send it. My VOD is still NOT working. Everything looks OK to me but gives 400 error when I select YES. I emailed ask JIM but nothing yet. So can someone tell what a PM is and how to send it to SD 630 support as they asked me to. Still no external hard drive. VERY Disappointed. I now wonder if we will ever get it on the 630.

#146 ·
I actually like the s/w upgrade. Been living with having to remember to set auto-tunes each week for all our programming so getting the reoccurring setups back (they were on the 505 and 400 & 300 receivers) is a big plus for us. We use DVD recorders with HDDs so this is good.
Only thing I find odd about the auto-tunes is that there is no obvious "submit" button when you are done with your settings.

Second question; is the VOD content worth it? I don't have the ability to run a direct ethernet cable from the router to the receiver so would have to drop some money on powerline connections. Price a decent one at $70 today and wondered what peoples' reaction was to the show selection? For example, could I get the earlier seaons of Lords of Anorchy on VOD?

#151 ·
Auto-Tune timer events

7.33 is an improvement over 6.22 with regard to "Auto-Tune" timers. Now we can have a recurring "Auto Tune" event. The problem is that to get a recurring event (weekly, daily, etc) one must use the manual timer screen. Manual timers of recorded events and auto-tune events do not reference the name of the program, just a number in the "upcoming" list.
Using the Guide and selecting "auto-tune" is for only a single event with no option for selecting a recurring timer.

Using the Guide to select a timer for a one time event "auto-tune" will provide the program name in the "upcoming" list just like the listing for a recorded event.

My old DVR530 would treat auto-tune events the same as recorded events. The 630 (even with the 7.33 update) still does not have the functionality of the old 530. :rolleyes:

#153 ·
VOD

We have the VOD working now with SD, but one thing that is dissappointing with it is that we had to up our tier on the internet package we had with our provider (internet speed). Still we cannot VOD any HD programming unless we spend at least another $15.00 per month so we are able to download any HD programming. Great techology, however we might as put back in our pocket $25.00 or so and move my TV from Shaw Direct to the local Cable provider who has had On Demand for years (Also currently having more HD TV Channels than SD), and not require the highest internet speeds and priced packages to watch anything you want on VOD.

#154 ·
My speed falls into the 4.7 4.9 range and from speed test dialog box it informs me this is adequate for SD but not HD. When I select a HD VOD program I also get a warning that the picture quality may be compromised. However... it "seems" just fine and is on par with other HD programing and good enough for me.
In my opinion though selecting a VOD show is so convoluted it is not worth having. A first edition beta... perhaps, hardly ready for prime time.

#155 ·
No- due to copywrite laws, VOD is not recordable
according to copyright law we should not record tv period
(wonder how the hell beta video recorder got released back in the days)
the only thing that change is that VOD are internet negociated rights
you can record anything from the reciever with a capture card through component output
(HDMI output is encrypted)

#156 ·
It may be a one time fluke or it may be a 7.33 bug: I had a timer set to record and another timer set to auto-tune to a different channel at the same time. At that exact time when the events were to occur, the DVR630 froze. I haven't had that problem with 6.22.

I have always been able to restart by a panel soft reset by holding down the ON/OFF button. This time, I had to unplug the the power supply from the wall. It then started up fine, but the event record timer did not record and no indication that there was a record problem. The auto-tune was sucessful in that when the 630 began operation it was on the channel set to auto-tune.

As William Shatner would say, "Is that weird or what?"

#157 ·
How smart is the receiver deleting shows to free up disk space?

Does it just delete shows based on age, oldest one is the one to go or does it also use if the show has been viewed or not, in other words does it delete shows based on age and viewed?

If not it should be how it should work imo. Just because I have an old show that I havent watched yet doesnt mean that I dont plan to.
Delete all the shows that I've watched first based on age and only then delete the ones that I havent watched.
Agreed?

#159 ·
7.33 did not open the door (or port) to connect an external memory device to allow the transfer for long-term storage of recorded shows – Maybe in the next software update.

The 630, by default, deletes the oldest recorded shows first when hard drive capacity is nearly filled, regardless of whether shows were viewed or not viewed.

I do not agree that viewed shows (shows with tick marks on the PVR list) should be the first to be deleted by default. I delete shows immediately after viewing – Except for some instructional programs that are sometimes not deleted because of some re-viewing value for them to be retained.

There are two ways to over-ride the default deletion of oldest programs.

1. Select the show from the PVR list and select “Protect”
2. Menu -> Rec -> Options -> Select Recording Event -> Edit Recording Event by using the up or down arrow to -> Keep Until -> Select either -> Space is Needed or -> Forever -> Enter or Go Back Button

The DVR630, as designed, is not meant for the for long-term storage of a large number of HD shows.

My best advice is to view your recorded shows as fast as they accumulate or as the hard drive becomes too loaded,
use a VCR or DVR recorder to record each DVR recorded event that you wish to retain and then delete each transferred show from the DVR.

#160 ·
Error, reboot, error, reboot, system overload?!

7.33 is none too stable yet. I recently suspended the account for the Summer. Now, trying to catch up on some unwatched shows, the 630 is riddled with lockups and slowdowns. It must be rebooted frequently, sometimes more than once a day (typically every time it is turned on.) My Bell 9200 was never this bad, even with a suspended account. Shaw has a lot of work to do on this firmware.

#161 · (Edited)
Relpy to Ochato

I agree that your suggestion should be optional, so we could choose. You can protect any recording so it will not be automatically deleted. But you cannot unprotect it, you can only delete it.I think we should be able to to remove the protection without deleting it. The EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE is needed, and should have been activated on this upgrade. Another missing feature is last channel recall memory should be at least 4 channels and not just one.The ability to go back and record only the part of the program you want (like the goal in a game) should be possible. Why should I have to record a 3 hour program if I only want 1 minute?

#162 ·
7.33 did not open the door (or port) to connect an external memory device to allow the transfer for long-term storage of recorded shows – Maybe in the next software update.
i don't think that will happen recorded files are encrypted so i don't think it will be permited to transfert recorded files to another storage
what it will do is to gives the option to record to an external storage but i don't think those recordings will be readable on a PC as the hard drive has it's own formating system (maybe it will on linux but if so files will still be encrypted)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.