Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player)

126K views 131 replies 40 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#57 ·
I just bought one yesterday and have a few questions.

1. I added all of my networked shares via whs but on the home page it still shows as zero shares on the tab, does this only work local usb shares?

2. Is there a way to separate movies and tv shows into separate shares?

3. How do I get the dashboard to work? I have added a source and have the media library set to on but it still ask's to be set up?

4. Also the meta scraper doesn't work, is this only local share's again?

I haven't upgraded the firmware yet, will this fix these issues?

#59 ·
No.

The only way to get US services with this box is to purchase a US model.

Even then, if you use it from Canada the US services will not work unless you "cheat" by using a special DNS or VPN.

After firmware 1.05, the unit checks its location after a reset and hides the services it thinks you shouldn't get.

#60 ·
connecting with my Laptop

I have WD streaming media player-Gen3 , connected via wifi high speed wireless internet.I want to connect wirelessly this WD SMP with my laptop .I am not a computer network expert.
Kindly help me with suggesting simple steps to connect and watch my Laptop stuff on TV via WD SMP ??

#61 ·
mdmm,

The WD manual (on the WD website) is not bad on this as I recall. But I fumbled a lot!

1) Share the folder containing the videos in Windows. There are several procedures to do this. One procedure to do this (in eg. Windows7) is:
Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>HomeGroup
and click Videos (and/or Music etc.) and "stream my pictures..."

( Query Wikipedia "windows file sharing" for more background information)

2) on the WD player first SETUP your network as appropriate (and CHECK CONNECTION)
then in VIDEOS select: Content Source>Windows Shares>pick the items you shared in step one (With the OPTIONS key on the remote .... yeah weird!) and pick "add to media library".

If all this does not work, call the WD helpdesk.

Good luck.

#66 ·
jnhto, What is the audio format? If it is AAC then optical will not work (I am not 100% sure as I use HDMI). Only DD , DTS or PCM can be sent over optical. In order to get it to work set the audio output to stereo in the WD TV Live SMP. It will then downmix the audio to two channel and send a PCM signal.

#68 ·
This small computer deviceis exccellent for XBMC player.Currently online order cost total more with time limit.
Is any store in Toronto Canada where you go and buy ??
i'm sorry but WHAT?
which device are you referring to?

Also i want ot add that i had a wdlive using unblock-us and i got us apps no problem. Even after the firmware upgrade i still had them under the dashboard which i still found a bit confusing to use. why is it sometimes available and sometimes not. it should be a simple shortcut menu that is always there.

#69 ·
#75 ·
So my microwave sends the WD TV Live SMP into a semi-frozen state. HD streaming via wifi-g starts to stutter (after about a minute) but once the microwave stops only a reboot brings the WD TV Live SMP wireless signal back. All my other devices recover rather quickly but this device remains dazed and confused. It is very annoying. I will soon be switching it over to Ethernet so I can microwave my popcorn without worries.

#79 ·
can someone tell me how is the youtube app for WD 3rd gen.

is is still the crappy one which when open starts with random clip?
I use the old app on my LG BD555 blu ray player which is much better.
I has suggestion, history of viewed clips etc.

Last time I checked WD 6 months ago, the youtube app was garbage compare to even old app on my LG player.
Can someone please let me know.
Also is it worth to buy the player now or wait for new version.
they usually release once a year and now it should be time for new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.