Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

iOS 6 discussion

17K views 101 replies 32 participants last post by  Tikker 
#1 ·
Looks like they didn't print the banner out for nothing -- as anticipated, it's not just refreshed MacBook Airs or Mountain Lion getting the red carpet treatment at today's World Wide Developer's Conference keynote. Cupertino has also taken the shiny cling wrap off of the latest version of iOS. What's new? Well at least 200 things!
Engadget

#4 ·
VIP Mail filtering – Every professional has some contacts that are more important than others. Your boss, certain employees that report to you, high-profile clients/customers, and key suppliers or consultants are some examples. These are often people who you need to hear from regardless of what else is going on. The new VIP feature in Mail allows you to easily designate those people as VIPs. Messages from get special treatment including notifications in your iPhone or iPad’s lock screen ensuring that you know immediately if there is a problem, a change in plans, or other information that you need to act on quickly.
Finally. I don't expect this iteration to be as powerful as the Blackberry's email alert system but at least it's a start.

#6 ·
One things I wonder about Maps. So its clear that the built-in Map app will use Apple's (actually I hear it is from Tom-Tom). But will any app that displays maps, which now use the Google version, automagically use the new Apple version once iOS 6 is out?

#8 ·
Maps is appealing, as is iPad Siri/Dictation (especially with Canada support), but the rest of it is really minor.

More like OS5.2 to me, but I'm not complaining...it's still a great mobile ecosphere, and I can appreciate Apple making smaller incremental steps in order to dramatically reduce the OS fragmentation that plagues others.

#10 ·
Based on the rumors I was expecting Apple to significantly one-up Google in the mapping department.

I suppose this is why I found Apple's maps announcement underwhelming. Especially when it doesn't support a equivalent of the (very handy) street view feature. I really like how Google Navigation switches to street view as you approach your destination.

#11 ·
The new Maps is far less enticing to those of us who already own TomTom on the iPhone.

FYI, I have a navigation app on my Android tablet that also uses the TomTom maps. That app is pretty brain dead - it often misses shorter routes, and seems to be missing streets.

Last weekend in Owen Sound, I used both my iPhone and my tablet to see what route to take from the farm we were at, to Harrison Park - and the iPhone's route was shorter, faster, and used a street that the Android app did not seem to know about.

Therefore, an app that uses TomTom maps is not necessarily better. Getting updates to the maps, and having a good routing engine, are just as important.

My conclusion is that Apple will work the TomTom angle on their navigation app, but that does not guarantee that it will be any better than the app it replaces.....

#13 ·
IMO, Apple is making the changes for the better. I am curious how many complaints Apple would get if they didn't change anything? Unless you develop apps, not sure what the big deal is to having to update your apps. Every 3 or 4 days I update all my apps on iTunes, so the next time my devices sync, they will be updated also. Takes 15 seconds to check for new updates and click the Update All button. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
Many of the recent app updates have been to make the apps look better on the retina display. Apparently many of the apps have doubled in size but this has no value for those of us with iPad 1s or 2s and it has a disadvantage as it leaves less room for media files, especially if you have dozens of apps.

#20 ·
I found that my iPad1 wasn't as stable on iOS 5, or at least I had problems with a lot of apps crashing. But since I switched to an iPad2 things have been much more stable. I am wondering if it is the case of older hardware not running so well on a newer OS?

#21 ·
I dunno, mine is a current gen iPod touch, the little woman has same issues with her iPhone 4

iOS 5 has just been brutal in terms of stability, especially with the native apps. 3rd party seems fine, but it's safari, the keyboard(software) and email that seem to crash a lot for us

mine is not jailbroken, tho her's is

#22 ·
Downloading for my iPad 2 as I write this

iOS 6 Software Update

This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:

• Maps
◦ Apple designed vector based maps
◦ Turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (2nd and 3rd generation)
◦ Real-time traffic information
◦ Flyover for photo-realistic, interactive 3D views of major metro areas on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation)
◦ Local search results with Yelp photos, ratings, reviews, and available deals
◦ Siri integration for requesting directions and finding places along a route
• Siri improvements
◦ Sports: scores, player stats, game schedules, team rosters, and league standings for baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey
◦ Movies: trailers, showtimes, reviews and facts
◦ Restaurants: reservations, reviews, photos and information
◦ Send a Tweet
◦ Post on Facebook
◦ App launch
◦ Eyes Free in supported automobiles
◦ Local search available in Siri supported countries (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
◦ Additional country and language support for Canada (English and Canadian French), China (Mandarin), Hong Kong (Cantonese), Italy (Italian), Korea (Korean), Mexico (Spanish), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (Italian, French, German), Taiwan (Mandarin), US (Spanish)
◦ Supported on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation) and iPod touch (5th generation)
• Facebook integration
◦ Single sign-on from Settings
◦ Post from Photos, Safari, Maps, App Store, iTunes, Game Center, Notification Center and Siri
◦ Add location and choose audience for any post
◦ View up-to-date Facebook profile photos and contact information in Contacts
◦ View Facebook events and birthdays in Calendar
◦ Like content and see your friends' Likes in App Store and iTunes Store
• Shared Photo Streams
◦ Share selected photos with the people you choose
◦ Friends can view shared photos in Photos app, iPhoto and Apple TV
◦ Friends can like and make comments on individual photos
• Passbook
◦ One place for boarding passes, store cards, movie tickets and other passes
◦ Barcode display for boarding flights, buying coffee, getting into movies and other actions
◦ Passes displayed on Lock Screen based on time or location
◦ Passes can be automatically updated
◦ Supported on iPhone and iPod touch
• FaceTime improvements
◦ FaceTime over cellular support for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation)
◦ Receive FaceTime calls, sent to your iPhone number, on your iPad and iPod touch
• Phone improvements
◦ Do Not Disturb to suppress incoming calls and notifications
◦ 'Reply with message' option when declining a call
◦ 'Remind me later' option based on time or location when declining a call
• Mail improvements
◦ VIP mailbox to quickly access mail from important people
◦ Flagged email mailbox
◦ Insert photos and videos when composing email
◦ Open password protected Office docs
◦ Pull down to refresh mailboxes
◦ Per account signatures
• Safari improvements
◦ iCloud tabs to see open pages on all your devices
◦ Offline Reading List
◦ Photo upload support
◦ Full screen landscape view on iPhone and iPod touch
◦ Smart app banners
◦ JavaScript performance improvements
• App Store and iTunes Store improvements
◦ Updated store design
◦ iTunes Preview history
◦ Complete my season
◦ Complete my album
• Game Center improvements
◦ Challenge friends to beat high scores and achievements
◦ Post high-scores and achievements to Facebook and Twitter
◦ Friend recommendations based on your Facebook friends
• Accessibility improvements
◦ Guided Access to limit device to one app or restrict touch input on certain areas of the screen
◦ VoiceOver integration with Maps, AssistiveTouch and Zoom
◦ Support for Made for iPhone Hearing Aids for iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S
• Improved privacy controls for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Photos and data shared over Bluetooth
• Reminders can be reordered in the Reminders app
• Custom vibrations for alerts on iPhone
• Clock app for iPad
• Clock alarm with song
• Search all fields in Contacts
• Automatic movie mode for improved video sound quality
• Definitions of a selected word for Chinese, French, German and Spanish
• New keyboard layouts for French, German, Turkish, Catalan, Arabic and Icelandic
• Keyboard shortcuts shared across devices via iCloud
• Bluetooth MAP support
• Global network proxy for HTTP
• Features for China
◦ Baidu web search
◦ Sina Weibo integration
◦ Share videos to Tudou
◦ Share videos to Youku
◦ Improved text input for handwriting and Pinyin
• Bug fixes

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Please visit this website for more details:
<http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability>

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

#23 ·
Warning: The IOS 6 has botched my iPad2.

After failure, I was directed to this web page

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I am trying to do a restore and update now. Not a happy camper at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.