Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fibre OP coming to NL this summer

65K views 353 replies 40 participants last post by  colinpeddle 
#1 ·
Bell Aliant's world-class fibre-to-the-home network coming to St. John's
Investing $22 million in FibreOP(TM) TV and Internet services

ST. JOHN'S, April 7 /CNW/ - Bell Aliant today announced an investment of $22 million to bring its world-class fibre-to-the-home network, known as FibreOP(TM), to 60,000 homes and businesses in the St. John's and surrounding area.

The awarding of recent contracts from the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador along with the economics of the region, create a strong business case to bring the FibreOP network to St. John's, one of Bell Aliant's largest and most important markets.

Building on the success of Bell Aliant TV in St. John's, more customers will now have access to FibreOP TV, a 100 per cent digital TV service including High Definition television available on all TVs, and watch and record PVR. Customers can enjoy unmatched digital picture and sound quality on over 200 video channels, including 70 HD channels and 98 music channels.

Customers can pre-register for FibreOP service by visiting the Bell Aliant site

See less See more
#2 ·
I've put those one on email alerts for when it arrives. The bundle deal currently posted to FibreOP customers in other locations completely trumps the standard IPTV BellAliant offered in NL. You'd be crazy not to go for 4x the Internet speed of Highspeed Ultra for essentially the same price. I'd love to have 75mb down but in reality its not worth the extra price..

I can finally get rid of Rogers completely. Now if only we had more competition in our market..

#4 ·
I was talking to a Bell Aliant tech today in St. John's, he said it will be set up in the Conception Bay South area first by the fall (there is no Bell Aliant TV available there at present), but it won't be available in the Airport Heights area of St. John's until next year, so don't hold your breath.

#7 ·
Well really St johns is not that big, and with fiberop the longest part of the install is aliant waiting for what ever contracter the have went with to install the steel cable support system for them to string the fiber on. Once that is in place the fiber really takes no time to install, heck Moncton was only to have been a 4.5 month job once the lines were in place but due to the crazy snowfall we got they prettly well lost a full month. So once u start to see those steel lines up aliant should be moving in any time there after that. My best guess would be a completion date of late august early September depending on weather of course lol

#8 ·
Well I would not rule out snow in St. John's lol:D

I was lead to believe that the fibreop is on the poles, has been for some time, they need to run lines from the poles to each subscriber's house??? I know a fibre was installed several years ago, not sure if that is what they intend to use but I don't see it for any other use!

I know Aliant has been in the neighbourhood surveying the poles and such, taking pics etc this past week, I just hope its soon I have a new 60 inch plasma just waiting to be lit up :p

#9 ·
well in all honesty other than the discount you receive for bundling if i was not in an apartment i would not have the Aliant TV service just because of the HD TV quality as it is. The HD on Aliant is not even remotely close to the quality of Bev TV's HD, but on the other hand on FiberOP you get what will be a full featured VOD service. so if you don't care about the bundle discount or VOD i would go with Bev for HD and fiberOP internet.

#10 ·
I have not seen the BEV HD, I did have BEV years ago but ditched it when I kept losing signal in FOG! Yeah the fog is that thick here lol I wish I knew someone with BEV HD so I could compare (HD in stores around here sux but I think most are on Rogers);) before Fibreop comes to my neigbourhood.

#15 ·
I live in the Topsail Pond Area of CBS/Paradise. In recent weeks the utility poles have gained new cabinets and for the last week crews have been stringing new wires. I keep meaning to stop and ask them what they are doing, but is the FibreOP? I'd be impressed that we got it before Sin Jawns....:)

#19 ·
Bell Fibre OP is available now in parts of Manuels (CBS) - they're going door to door will sales calls - just had their "pitch" and available immediately.
Anyone know when they are planning to reach Kelligrews? I'm off of Legion Road.

EDIT: Also, if you are currently in a regular 2 year contract, can you opt out of that contract and sign-up for FibreOp?

Thanks!

#18 ·
Well, unless they throw a good deal at me in St. John's before December, I'll stick with my free Rogers PVR for now.. and then switch around Christmas/New Years. Absolutely cannot wait for 25/25Mbps net. Might even try to move my bell mobility over too for one bill.

Now.. we just need the rates they're getting in Europe (ie. 40 euros for like 100Mbps, tv and phone :S). Damn you lack of competition...

#20 ·
I asked a sales rep about this and he said yes, as it means you will be paying more money per month to Bell Aliant, and your previous one year bundle discount will end and you will be on the fibreOp special for only 3 months.

More money in Bell Aliant's pocket.

#21 ·
FibreOp in Mount Pearl

I just got off the phone with an Aliant rep who "checked her latest updates" and said that the tentative date to begin taking orders for FibreOp installs in Mount Pearl is August 3rd. Can't say how much faith I have in that, but I'm pretty stoked about it. She also confirmed what has been posted here already; existing contractual bundle customers will be able to switch to a FibreOp bundle without any extra hassle and still get the intro promo price for new customers ($99/mo for first three months).

#22 ·
I had chatted online with Aliant Rep 3 days ago and she was unable to give me any details on when FibreOp would be available in Mount Pearl, I hope the Aug 3rd time frame is right! I noticed that Elizabeth park area in Paradise is getting the fibre installed on the lines up there so its close!

#24 ·
A installer I spoke with today said 6 months. They have it set up in a office in Paradise and he said the HD is significantly improved.

Regardless all Bell Aliant TV users will be getting Mediaroom 2.0 this fall wether they are on fibreOp or copper.

I didn't realize that they would need to run cat 5/6 cables to all receivers either, big draw back having a bunch cable strung along the outside of your house.

#29 ·
cat 5/6 is made of copper. I don't know what cat 3 is, but if it's coax, that's what I'm using here, and it works fine.
Copper is referring to RG59 or RG6. Anyway that is good news, but the installer said cat5/6 would be needed for the receivers to work.

They will be getting all Black Motorola boxes like like Bell Fibre in Ontario as well soon.

#30 ·
Anyway that is good news, but the installer said cat5/6 would be needed for the receivers to work.
Who ever the installer is, he is wrong. The majority of homes wired here with FibreOP are using coax to the Motorola STBs. The main reason is because the coax was in place because of previous cable installs.

One or two of the threads in this forum have pictures of FibreOP installs and they used coax to the STBs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.