Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogers Ontario 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion

96K views 258 replies 76 participants last post by  yyzlhr 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Rogers Ontario in 2012.

This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Rogers or investigating what is available on Rogers.

This thread replaces the 2011 thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134518

#52 ·
2) no I have a nextbox PVR and in the upper top left corner of the box its labaled NEXTBOOX in white letters.

Funny part is when I had my previous box(160 rental) it was blank no Rogers logo at all. the just had a sticker across the display where you had to plell it off.

as for your other question can't comment on that part.

#54 ·
No trade in offers. If your 8300 is still in warranty you can swap it for an 8642. If you sign up for their Nextbox promotions (2 year contract required) you can get 150-250 dollars off the purchase of an 8642 depending on whether you live in or outside of fibe territory.

#55 ·
I have an 8300 and tried to swap it out at Rogers Plus here in London, and after 15-20 minutes of trying, the guy said it couldnt be done. I own the 8300 and a 4250 and was told by customer service that i would have to buy new boxes to get WHPVR. 8300 still has 1yr warranty left. I want an 8642 but they wont swap it for me.

#56 ·
The confusion lies in the fact that rogers has created separate product codes for both Cisco and SA HD equipment since the launch of nextbox. Therefore a rep cannot use the equipment replacement function in the system to swap your SA equipment for a Cisco one. They must remove the old SA purchased equipment and add the new Cisco one as a rental and then email head office and have the equipment switched to purchased status and have any prorated rental fees credited back.

The caveat is that reps are only supposed to offer Cisco equipment if the store does not have any SA equipment in stock. However, head office does not have real time access to a store's cable inventory and a nice and knowledgeable rep can easily make an exception.

#58 ·
This is the wrong place for this discussion, so hopefully an OP can move it.

Why do they want a tech to come? Have they said? Would they be willing to waive the fee? If so, have the tech come, tell him its his lucky day and all you want is for him to activate the unit and not touch the wiring.

#59 ·
This is the wrong place for this discussion,....
I actually didn't orignially post to this thread ; I posted elsewhere but one of the moderators moved it here.

As to Rogers, yup, they gave me a long techno-gabble list of why I MUST have a tech even after I explained several times that I dont want WHPVR. Specifically they just rattled off their script....
. "'All NextBox HD PVRs and HD Terminals, must be networked by a Rogers service technician. Additionally, the service is only compatible with the NextBox HDPVR (CISCO 8642) and NextBox HD Terminal (CISCO 4642). The Technician must also inspect both your outside as well as your inside wiring. They will also need to install filters to optimize the services and test each television and terminal to ensure they are working properly. In addition to these steps, the service technician will also demonstrate the service and correct any internal or external wiring issues that are discovered during the installation. The installation experience can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours due to the complexity of the installation."

All I want is to upgrade my PVR - they are making it so difficult for me. 30 years of loyalty appraently does not buy much.

If I could guarranty a tech indeed would "only" activate the terminal (which I thought was not done at the house anyway), then that would be ok, but I dont want to take at $500 risk - ie buy the unit, and they indeed start rewiring everything.

Quite tired of playing thier games. Gonna start doing my inventory of where my phone outlets are and need to be and give Bell Fibe a shout.

#62 ·
I can certainly give that a try as a final last effort. Has anyone successfully done that in the GTA- ie walked out with an activated 8624 without the hassle of must-be-installed-by-tech? If so, which store??

#63 ·
You can do this at any Rogers Plus store. As a former retail rep, I NEVER sent out a tech to activate an 8642 or any other STB unless the customer requested it or if an extra outlet needed to be installed. No where in the training did it EVER indicate that a tech roll is required for the situation you described. In fact tech rolls are discouraged in instances like this, even if a customer is willing to pay for it. I think the rep you spoke to thinks that the words Nextbox and Whole Home PVR are synonymous, therefore insisting a tech needs to come out.

#65 ·
I agree completely with the last few posts.

Mind boggling how the TWO customer reps I dealt with could have misundertood when I explicity told both that I do not want whole house PVR and do not want NEXTBOX 2.0. Perhaps their Manager will understand, but perhaps not.

So, okay I will ignore everthing Customer Service told me. And as activation is done at home, the best course of action here seems to be play dumb, walk in to a Roger store with my rental return and buy an 8642, and attempt to activate once connected at home.

If it all goes terribly wrong ( ie they wont activate), I will return it.

#67 ·
There is no need to call to activate. Rogers Plus store reps have access to the same system as call centre reps and can activate the box for you. All you should have to do, is go home and plug it in. You only need to call and activate if you purchase the box from a futureshop or other 3rd party dealer.

#68 ·
FS/BB sell it for $499. Per thier web site Rogers also sell it for $499, but then the throw in that knife again.... mandatory installstion See http://www.orderrogers.ca/s/1164/r/order/box and hit continue.

Perhaps they dont enforce this for in-store purchases ( which is why I asked if anyone actually every bought one at a store).

If I do the FS/BB route and cannot actiivate , and need to return the unit, not sure what thier opened box restocking fee is. Perhaps none. Easy enough to confrim ahead of time.

#70 ·
If I do the FS/BB route and cannot actiivate , and need to return the unit, not sure what thier opened box restocking fee is. Perhaps none. Easy enough to confrim ahead of time.
FS/BB will not charge you any fees for any return within their allowed time (I think it's 14 days).

I personally bought both my 8642 and 4642 from Future Shop and I only had to call in and have it activated over the phone. No technician needed.

#69 ·
When you buy it on rogers.com they use technicians to deliver it. They used to have a courier option but that just caused too much trouble. If you buy it at a Rogers Plus, the rep will activate it in store and you just go home and plug it in yourself. If you buy it at a futureshop, you go home call in, and have it activated.

There is no such thing as a mandatory tech roll for adding STBs of any kind. Don't get caught up over one reps confusion.

#71 ·
Apologies if this has been asked and answered . Re the 2012 cable/internet "packages" shown here : https://www.orderrogers.ca/nextbox/?postalCode=l4j4v5&x=54&y=9

1) Is this only for new customers, or for existing customers as well?

2) Does one also get 15% bundled discounts on top of this if one also Rogers has cell and homehone?

3) For the packages offering abnormally high download rates ( ie 32 Mbps for Extreme Plus and 75 Mbps for Ultiamte), is there some fine print pre-requisites assocaited with this? Like running new (and visibile) wiring all over the place? Most of my home (circa 1985) has unaccessible in-wall RG59 cabling.

Many thanks.

#95 ·
3) For the packages offering abnormally high download rates ( ie 32 Mbps for Extreme Plus and 75 Mbps for Ultimate), is there some fine print pre-requisites assocaited with this? Like running new (and visibile) wiring all over the place? Most of my home (circa 1985) has unaccessible in-wall RG59 cabling..
3. I believe the only caveat for the high download rates is purchase or rental of a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. If your cabling works now, it should work for the higher speeds. For example from the same "+ See full details" on the Rogers internet site:

1. Taxes and a $14.95 one-time activation fee apply, plus $7.00/mo modem rental or $199.95 modem purchase (for "N" home networking modem).

2. Based on the Rogers DOCSIS 3.0 network technology current theoretical maximum download speeds of 115Mbps vs Bell DSL network technology current maximum theoretical download speeds of 50Mbps.​

I took a look at my modem and its a Motorola SURFboard SB5100, purchased from Rogers years back. I think DOSCIS 2.0., so looks like I would need a new model if I went for the faster rates.

I assume modems cannot simply be bought anywhere ( like terminals) but rather must be pruchased/configured from Rogers - correct?

#72 ·
1. At the bottom of the page is a "+ See Full Details". Click on that you see (bolding is mine):

Available within Rogers cable service area (where technology permits) in Ontario only to: (a) new Rogers cable customers; and (b) existing Rogers cable customers not currently on a term contract for cable services. NextBox 2.0 Packages include TV and Internet. Packages start from $86.13/mo for the first 6 months (and start from $128.46/mo for the remaining 18 months of the 2-yr term) based on the Silver Package which includes Digital Basic TV (with one NextBox 2.0 HD PVR rental, one NextBox 2.0 HD terminal rental and one PVR extender) and Express tier internet (with one home gateway modem rental). A one time installation charge of $49.99 and activation fee of $14.95 also apply.
2. I don't know. You can ask Rogers. Often "specials" do not qualify for further discounting - for example my PAYGo phone. The fact that I have the extra service does however qualify me for the additional discount on the other items I have with Rogers, although I have usually been able to negotiate a "better" discount if I'm willing to "contract" with them for 2 years, as have others in the forum. People with "large" Rogers bills are usually able to negotiate 20%+ discounts (from list pricing)

3. I believe the only caveat for the high download rates is purchase or rental of a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. If your cabling works now, it should work for the higher speeds. For example from the same "+ See full details" on the Rogers internet site:

1. Taxes and a $14.95 one-time activation fee apply, plus $7.00/mo modem rental or $199.95 modem purchase (for "N" home networking modem).

2. Based on the Rogers DOCSIS 3.0 network technology...

#73 ·
As usual, many thanks for your clear responses. :)

a) Re " existing Rogers cable customers not currently on a term contract for cable services. "; interesting - I've never heard of such a thing. I know I am on contract for cell, but never saw any terms re cable/internet. I dont see anything on my bill. If I was on contract- where would it say?

I guess this is good news in that it means I would qualify and if the packages turns out to make some sense.

b) If on a special package like this , I wonder if one has the option to later purchase the 8642 rental with the 2 years.

c)I need to speak with them anyway (if I can find a CSR who actaully can supply correct information) as even if the 15% does not apply, I would need to confrim I dont lose the 15% on phone/cell (!) given cable/internet would now be part of a different package! Ya know how those computerized billing systems work!

#74 ·
I dont see anything on my bill. If I was on contract- where would it say?
Somewhere on your bill it would say something like:
"Savings: XX% off all products 24 mth"

Yes, you can get different stories from various CSRs. Some may not give anything, some may give more, etc. If you don't get what you believe to be fair pricing after a few CSRs, ask for retentions, but be willing to leave Rogers if you go there... Also, after you negotiate, ask for a reference number and the CSR's number for your records in case the next bill is not correct (it often is not and you may need to call back).

#80 ·
My channel line up

Back to the topic of packages, I have a question.

Is there a way to get a simple list of all the channel I currently recveive? ie "my channel line up"? .I would like la isting so I know what I am entited to ( and for comparison with other providers). Is there a web option for "my channel line" or do I have to try to figure it out based on the clues in the bill?

When I go to the web site to add new service it tells me my existing service is Ultimate TV Pak plus Basic Digital Cable . My actual bill says I am on VIP Ultimate & Movies Package* ($103,97) and asterisk point to a box saying "*Your Plan includes: Extended Basic, Movies Pack, Ultimate Specialty Channels, VIP Extra Pack and Timeshifting.

Many thanks.

#82 ·
Although there have been attempts at some charts showing such information, each area of Rogers has different channels available, so it's specific to an area. Also, some people have grandfathered channels. I believe you can e-mail or phone Rogers and they will send you a pdf of the channels to which you subscribe.

Rogers does have a list of all available channels for your area on their website, but then you'd have to use your bill as a clue, as you say.

#83 ·
I tried doing this the other day, but the problem I have is that the various lists on the Rogers website only include the station name...I think they purposely exclude the channel because that would make it too easy for someone to review their line-up and figure out they are paying for a whole bunch of channels they don't watch...

At least that's my theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.