Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Security Alarm Company Discussions

85K views 64 replies 47 participants last post by  Wharfe 
#1 ·
Looking to possibly purchase a security system...Was wondering which company is the best to deal with ???? ADT, AlarmForce,etc........Any comments would greatly be appreciated

#53 ·
Which alarm company?

I was on national TV in Ottawa over 10 years ago, a same question was always asked. Who to deal with?
Here simple answer: Ask your friend, relative, co-worker, for referral
Ask if they happy with alarm company they deal with. They tell you!!!
If they happy use it too.
As being owner of Comcon Security in Ottawa for almost 25 years I tell you honestly.-Ask 3-4 times and you get good referrals

Ask if service free or you have to pay for it (don’t forget at the end of the day you will pay top dollars to alarm company for service)
Just got screwed by Sears tech $89.00 for 15 min myself
So ask and make them put it on the paper
SERVICE IS FREE AS LONG AS MONITORED
The rest is just pennies $15 per month or $20 $25 have no significant meanings.
why ? Because ,1 sevice call within 3 years aver. $90 will pay for the difference between 15 and 25 a month

Hope it helps

#56 ·
We use SecurTek for our alarm company. We have their cell monitoring system. So we can control our system through an app. I like that feature and the text notifications from the system. I have set off the alarm sometimes accidentally and sometimes they call and sometimes they don't. Not sure if they have a procedure in place to only call of the alarm is going off for a certain amount of time. I was told that the alarm has to be going off for a bout a minute before SecurTek will call. The only reason I don't complain about this is because I receive a text immediately if the alarm is tripped.

If all of these features are not important to you, then I would try looking at another company. We has ADT before and I found their response times very slow to alarms. One time I gave my mom the keys to my house and forgot to tell her the alarm was on. Well we showed up 10 minutes after she got into our house with the alarm siren blaring away. We didn't receive one call in that time. I called ADT myself to tell them it was a false alarm. We ended up switching alarm companies soon after.

#57 ·
Thanks, Jshel101. We had a few issues with ADT. including the useless system they originally installed. 2 doors sensors and motion. yet we have 4 doors. The response from the dealer, oh, the signs usually deter them enough. yet my front door is not contacted and the motion is in the basement. Real secure...

If you don't mind me asking, how much a month do you pay for interactive services and what kind of system do you have?

#58 ·
We pay about $45/month and we have the touch screen panel. Not sure of the model name. We have the Internet and cellular connect system. I think the best would be to get someone to come in and give you a free estimate. When I get gone tonight ill try to remember to check the model name of the panel.

#60 ·
I would not recommend Protectron. After one month they have been in breach of the contract and in two years haven't been able to fix the issues, only to forget taking one of my payments and threatening me if I don't pay them again.

Avoid like the plague, they don't even respond to letters, next step is going to be more official for me. Wasting my time.

#61 ·
Ugh, contracts. So glad I am not on contract. Also, I wonder if it would be better to have a standalone home monitoring system (ie. cameras) that you could tinker with yourself vs. having to pay a hefty monitoring fee for a "smart" system. I'm leaning this way myself.

#62 ·
Depends on what you're looking for and the rules for your municipality. Problem with self monitoring is that some police departments will not dispatch help on a self monitored system unless you're calling from home.

Also, a self monitored system with cameras can easily be disabled by cutting your broadband connection. So it also depends on whether you want a system simply to keep tabs on your family or a system that can call out for help during an emergency.

#65 ·
I meant a monitored system for alarm and a self monitored system for cams and/or home automation.
I do this. It depends how tech-savvy you are. I installed a DSC Power Series system in my home, using a special Ethernet card for it that texts me and family members when things happen (Door opens, alarm, etc).. Obviously the alarm texting our phones isn't going to help if we're all home and being held at gunpoint. But monitoring can be added to this setup easily, at anytime, through the ethernet card company.

As for cameras I have some IP cameras running iSpyConnect software on an old computer. Records on motion, web access anywhere, can text/email pics on alerts, etc. Also good for checking false alarms.. If I get a "fire alarm" text I can take a look and see if it's a false alarm. If not, call the fire dept.

Home security is a hobby of mine; I have no problem setting this stuff up. Costs me way less, and I feel it's a good system unlike some of the "professional" installs I've seen.

Sure someone can cut your internet/phone wire. If it makes you feel better, add cell backup. Even better if you can get your wire to enter the house at a high point so it can't be tampered with. Also the ethernet card I have for my alarm system texts within minutes if it loses network connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.