Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Official New 8642 PVR from Rogers

188K views 356 replies 130 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
#61 ·
I'd say you'll have to wait a lot longer to be able to swap a rental unit for one of these, than to wait for someone to figure out how to add an external drive.

Can anyone explain why there are still *new* PVRs being produced, with HD capabilities, and only a 160 GB drive? That just makes absolutely no sense at all.

#62 ·
Someone mentioned recently that it is because they buy large quantities of drives at very cheap prices. They probably bought thousands of those drives for a few dollars each and will keep using them as long as they have them.

I agree, it makes no sense to put that size of a drive in an HD box. The minimum should be 360 with 500 or 1 TB options.

#66 ·
GUI screenshots anyone?

Does anyone have any screenshots of this new PVR's GUI? There's nothing in the marketing materials. I have the current generation 8300 and the GUI is like circa 1985 - absolutely horrible. Nothing like buying a new 52" HD LCD panel only to be using a menu you could drive a bus between the pixels on. :mad:

If this new one has at least a full wide-screen interface and a relatively contemporary menu layout I'd drop this POS 8300 onto Craig's list in a heartbeat.

#71 ·
Posts removed. This thread is to discuss the 8642. Please use the shopping forums to discuss where you can buy it, best deal pricing etc. and leave this thread to discussing the hardware.

#72 ·
From the PDF:
1080p/24 or 1080p/30 output formats are available on HDMI, if those formats are presented to the set-top box at its input. Incoming video formats will not be converted to either of these for output. Output of these formats is under software control.
Does that mean it will not upconvert to 1080p?

#74 ·
Since no one has one, I doubt anyone has an answer to this yet. But, the writeup indicates that this supports home networking. Since I see a network interface on there, I assume cat5e - and I assume then that means these won't be able to network with the older boxes. But - wondering what functionality it provides. I assume you can watch any recorded show on either box.

I'd love to try this - but $1K to take the plunge. I'd really rather rent these. I know I've spent $900 over the past 3 years renting the 8300, but I've been through 5 of those so I think I'm still ahead of the game.

#75 ·
initial thoughts on the new 8642 - was using the old SD PVR for the last 4 years

current max res 1080i

in store buy - 5 minutes in out (had plenty on display)
on phone activation 5 minutes
waiting for system to initalize 10minutes maybe

HD is SATA and look relativity easy to change.

On screen guide - one button press to get in, still only showing 90 minutes at one time. and using the classic format still looks sharper comparied to my old PVR

quick look around setting and menu I haven't seen option for media sharing, might look in the manual for this

#92 ·
On screen guide - one button press to get in
That's interesting, I wonder if Rogers has decided to change the default setting for the QSG back to the program guide or if this was just an oversight on the first batch of 8642 units. If they change the default back to the program guide, nobody will ever seek out the QSG and thus usage of it will be abysmal. But if they leave the default on the QSG, very few new customers will figure out how to change the default to the program guide.

#78 ·
Round 2 playing for 2 hours

Network setting: non existing, can even see it on my router

eSata port: connected a WD500AAK via eSATA-to-SATA cable, picked it up and ask to format it so this looks like it's working.

Overall opinion, if you already have an HD PVR wait until Rogers gets this box functioning properly to buy it.

#82 ·
if you can get into the systems infomation pages(37 pages of stuff) you can see a section for eithernet ip addresses.

Component info

image file 1.9.0.602
OS 8.4.22.1
SARA 1.92.11.1
MIPS NetProcs 1.4.0.4
MIPS Diag 1.0.19.1
NVM Library 1.0.5.1
HAL Driver-p 2.5.27.120
DOCSOS CM bin 10.10.52.2
PkeyEMB-DVR 4.0.10.20
Firebus 4.11.100708.1
Linux 1.2.23.1 Date(12/31/95)

#84 ·
Just ran the test for that.

Setup
Display: SyncMaster T240 HD (1080P or 1920x1200)
Chanel: MXSHD 316 (currently playing The Pantom) and HDNBC 524 (NHL Hockey)
Output: 1080I and 720P (having issues forcing 1080P)

The test
one press of the guide button

display switches to 4:3 ratio, exit out it switches back to 16:9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.