Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Cable promotions, programming packages and pricing discussion 2012

Tags
shaw cable
398K views 1K replies 207 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Shaw Cable in 2012.
This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Shaw or investigating what is available on Shaw.
This thread replaces the previous thread, for 2011.

#121 ·
It's completely different programming, including lots of engineering, nature, and cultural shows -- less sciencey (is that a word) and less military stuff. It also is the only place, AFAIK, to get No Reservations in HD, which makes it worth $3.95 a month imo.

#123 ·
I changed over to Personalizer, Best HD and had subscribed to 228 - it worked until today, they did a refresh because of some missing channels, and now they can't seem to get 228 back-says not authorized so shouldn't be a signal issue-, the code is on my account and I should be getting it. I have to wait for a few days to get the filters changed, so I don't get either Discovery now, I am waiting for a call back to see what happened. I would like to get both of them. I even put my old 6200 back on and 228 was there until they refreshed it to have my new set up (I had unplugged it from the system when I got the PVR and it still had my old set up working -Basic and HD+-when I was told to see if it was my new box or Shaw - it looks like it is them). I got the call back, they are going to remove the filters on the 12th as before, but they can't try anything else because it would cancel that work order.

#124 ·
Speaking of 'jumping';), I have to decide at the end of the month which way I will go as I don't want to lose the majority of the new HD channels when the free previews end. I can't bear think of giving up any HD but I might have to if it means a lower monthly bill.

#125 ·
Jetranger: Don't know what you are paying now but I went from $122 to $89 a month (rounded off the $). That is $32 a month Savings! It pays for my Telus home phone. Just can't switch to Shaw home phone as coworkers have had so much trouble with it. I had previously classic digital with high speed internet and changed to Personal TV with the Best of HD and High speed 10. Did this Dec. 31st and my family has adapted quite well to the programming we get. Lost channels but actually only watched a program here and there - no great loss. Love the HD channels we get and can hardly wait to watch The Walking Dead in HD in Feb.

#126 ·
I wouldn't mind losing a whole lot of the channels I never watch but they don't yet offer that option. I can't downgrade my internet any further and I don't want to give up Discovery so I may just have to tough it out. I'm still hoping they come out with an offer that better suits me. That and 'Spike HD' for the PowerBlock on weekends.

#128 ·
Off topic posts

Let's concentrate our discussion here on programming packages, not the merits of the channels contained therein. There are plenty of other places in the Shaw forums to discuss that sort of stuff.
A handful of OT posts have been deleted.
Thanks for your understanding and your co-operation.

#129 · (Edited by Moderator)
My switch was similar to MacOSXAddict's, except I had grandfathered $12 HD Plus. Jumping from grandfathered HD Plus to Best of HD, you lose Discovery World HD and HDNet, but gain seven of the newest HD channels (whenever Animal Planet HD is added here and presuming Disney XD HD and Family HD aren't added to grandfathered HD Plus). You also lose a fair number of unique SD channels by jumping from Digital Basic to Personal TV, but I rarely watched those channels, anyway. I also save $15/month on my overall bill. All in all, I'm happy with the trade-off.

#201 ·
Just change Calgary to Vancouver or Winnipeg in the url [http://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Bundles/Personalizer_PDFs/SPP_calgarylineup.PDF]. No need to go to the Shaw website and do it all over again.
That would work if you live in a major urban centre, but it's maybe not as obvious as that if you live somewhere else, which is why I stated one should just go to Shaw's website to get one's local PDF. For instance, using Nanaimo or Lloydminster in the above URL just gives you an error.

It could be that PDF lineups for smaller centres are not available, but I don't know how to check for that because whenever I change my location on Shaw's website and retrieve the PDF, I always get my local Vancouver PDF regardless of the location change.

#135 ·
Thanks to you guys I just switched to the personalizer. I am a triple play customer and my bill was:

Digital Classic / Movies and High Speed - 130.95
HD Plus 12.00
Purchased Modem Discount-5.00
Home Phone Basic20.95
______

Now my bill is:
Personal TV 25.95
Best of HD 20.00
Family Channels 5.00
Discovery World 3.95
Movie Central 17.00
Internet 33.95
Personal Home Phone 15.00
_____

We rarely watch anything other than HD, with the exception of the kids who like Teletoon. Now with the personalizer the I lost HDNet (don't care) and I gained Animal Planet as well as went from 7.5Mbps to 10Mbps for internet and it only cost $121. That's a saving of $38/month.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks.

#136 ·
i would switch but i watch HDNET, Discovery World & Oasis while on the other hand i don't watch Space, BNN, Animal Planet or Bravo

so no point in paying $31.85 for Best of HD, HDNET, Discovery World & Oasis...when i can have them for $16

plus my wife is indian and she watches the South Asian package for $14...however with SPP its $20...$6 more :eek:

eventhough has a triple play customer it would be cheaper to switch to SPP for the 3 services(tv, internet and phone) paying extra for HD channels & South Asian package isn't worth it for me

Triple Play Discount-$20.00
Basic Cable $40.95
Timeshift $3.95
HD Plus $16.00
South Asian TV Pack $14.00
Broadband 50 $52.00
Home Phone Basic $34.95

Current Monthly Services $141.85

#138 ·
I think the $14 package only had 2 channels (can't remember which 2, possibly Sony + ATN). However, the $20 South Asian Package on the Personalizer has Alpha Punjabi, ATN, B4U, Sony, and NDTV. With the old packaging, a bundle of these 5 channels would cost $49.95.

#141 ·
@Jason316

It sounds like you're on a grandfathered package. I googled your package and found out that around Jan 2010, Shaw was offering all 5 channels for a discounted rate of $14/mo in Vancouver only. However, when I was selling Shaw services in July - Oct 2011, the standard pricing was $49.95 everywhere unless you were on the Personalizer. The information is now completely gone from the Shaw website though.

Bottom line: If you're paying $14/mo then you were in the right place at the right time, and you shouldn't switch unless they sweeten the offer or you need more channels. You're paying less than most customers for those same Shaw services.

#143 ·
@Jason316 - How are you able to get the $20 triple play discount? I thought it had been dropped by shaw. They now row the discount into the prices. Hence my cost went up.

Here is my bill before I switched to SPP:
Basic Cable 41
BB 50 59
Basic phone 25
HD Plus(GF) 12
=================
$137

This is more than what you were stating in your post.
Now I switched to SPP , downgrade to BB10, Best of HD and Kids channel.
Total cost $99

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.