Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread

269K views 717 replies 183 participants last post by  Kakariko 
#1 ·
I'm having an issue that I just can't see the cause of. I'm getting no centre channel sound when watching TV via the 6412 box. It is connected to my amp via toslink optical cable. When I switch to Prologic using my amp the centre channel comes through fine and it sounds good, but as soon as I change the channel the amp auto's to the Dolby Digital based on teh source.

Any ideas what could cause this? I went into the box setup and found nothing - it seems pretty strange to me that it would be sending a dolby digital feed but the centre channel won't work.

#77 ·
james99 said:
I think PQ issues vary from area to area. I'm very happy with PQ but others are not.
Hi james99, where exactly are you in Burlington? I'm in Aldershot (Waterdown & Plains Rd) and the picture quality improved when I switched from the 6208 to the 6412. Less blockiness all together and a better color reproduction.

#78 ·
biglyle said:
jgvp

you are starting to look more and more like a troll than someone who is just asking legitimite questions.
What makes you say that, apart from being ultra suspicious of people ? Incidentally, I was asking a legitimate question back in February when you were selling your BEV 5900 and I offered to buy it for your asking price and never heard another word from you. :rolleyes:

#79 ·
FreeBSD said:
Hi james99, where exactly are you in Burlington? I'm in Aldershot (Waterdown & Plains Rd) and the picture quality improved when I switched from the 6208 to the 6412. Less blockiness all together and a better color reproduction.
Headon Forest. I will eventually get the 6412 but i bought the 6208 so trading them isn't as easy as if i rented. Not sure why your picture would improve. I though others were saying the opposite. hmmm.

#80 ·
Timer recording reliability?

Has anyone else experienced unreliable timer recording through their 6412? A few times this week, there have been shows for which I had timers set, but they failed to record. I'd like to know if it's a problem isolated to my box, or if it's a widespread problem.

#81 ·
james99 said:
I will eventually get the 6412 but i bought the 6208 so trading them isn't as easy as if i rented.
Of course, YMMV, but I had absolutely no issue with trading in my 6208 (purchased the first day available) for a 6412. I didn't have to ask, it was a fait accompli.

I was having a few issues with my 6208, so it isn't that I simply waltzed in with a 100% functioning unit and asked for a free upgrade. It appears that Cogeco felt that it was a better choice to replace the unit than trying to repair it.

#82 ·
brijazz said:
Has anyone else experienced unreliable timer recording through their 6412? A few times this week, there have been shows for which I had timers set, but they failed to record. I'd like to know if it's a problem isolated to my box, or if it's a widespread problem.
I've recorded probably 10 movies/shows this week without a hitch. Some were set up for every weekday at the same time, others were movies.

#83 · (Edited)
Anyone have issues connecting your pc with firewire to your 6412??

I am using this as a guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=403695&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

I installed the Tuner AV/C Device as explained there, tried rebooting,etc,etc but, when I run CaptureDVHS it doesn't show it as a capture device listed.

EDIT: - OK Ignore my message.. but, I will leave this here in case someone else has the same problem! I guess I read the instructions too quickly. I didn't realize for any device you need to select the panasonic dVHS. I let windows autoselect the driver and that is what messed me up! So, it works fine now

#84 ·
dct6412

I have traded my old (purchased) dct for the latest model, the 6412.
No charge at Cogeco Pen centre, St. Catharines.
Very happy with improved PQ, guide etc. I connect it to my TV via DVI.
Waiting for dual tuner activation this fall!!

I am experimenting with the firewire output. I plugged it from the 6412 into my Samsung SR T165, which in turn is connected to my JVC HM DH4000U recorder via firewire and to myTV, A Sony KE-42TS2U, via DVI. Picture and sound are getting through.
I was hoping to be able to record some programs, those i may want to keep or lend to friends on the JVC.

The JVC and the STB work fine together to record programs off air and playback. the firewire program on the STB allows for setting recording times etc.

But I can't figure out a way to record and playback anything from the cablebox.

Perhaps there is a firewire input on the cable box., but there seems to be no way to choose input sources.

I would also like to use the inputs on the front of the
6412 to play back from my digital camera.

There is a button at the bottom left of the 6412 remote marked "video source". It doesn't seem to do anything.

So my questions are:
Has anyone been able to activate this button, or any other method of using the front of the box video/audio inputs?

Anyone have any other ideas on how I can record HDTV from the 6412 and playback?

I would appreciate any advice. I'M going away for a few days so will respond later to any further questions,

Many thanks

#85 ·
security channel

We just got this box and I noticed the apartment building's lobby security camera is gone. It was on channel 69 with our previous digital cable box (cogeco), but on the 6412 it's not there. It doesn't make sense. I have searched every channel, channel by channel on the box but its not there. How can it be on our other previous digital box on channel 69 and not on the 6412. I phoned Cogeco, but the guy gave me a song and dance about it being a problem in the building. This is bull because 5min before I unhooked the old digital box to hook up the 6412, I used the lobby cam on the old box to let my buddy in the builiding. Can anyone help please? I love the DVR but the lobby cam is something we can't do without. There must be a way to get the lobby cam on the 6412 if we can get it on a standard digital cable box.

#86 ·
So my questions are:
Has anyone been able to activate this button, or any other method of using the front of the box video/audio inputs?
There are no active inputs on the 6412 (or any of the DCT's)

I noticed the apartment building's lobby security camera is gone. It was on channel 69
Not sure where you are, but did you try channel 969?

#89 · (Edited)
I recorded "Tout le monde en parle" on Tv5 last night here in the Oakville area. Well, today when I am playing it back the Fast Forward isn't working correctly. The first FF seems to move like normal but the FF2-FF4 are VERY slow (Seems slower than FF1).

Any suggestions or tips? Could it be an issue with my box or that channel in particular? This program is 2 + hrs and I need to find something near the end!

Anyway.. I guess I will try record some other programs and see what happens once I am done finding what I am looking for on this one.

EDIT: - After removing power from the uniting for 5 minutes and re-connecting the FF/Reverse worked again. I guess that is why they say to remove the power first before calling tech support :) Good thing I tried that. I guess next time I will try that before I post here too :)

#90 ·
I am presuming that the 6208 thread is dead, given the date of the last posting. My rental unit crashed yesterday and I am now expecting a replacement 6412 next week. My question is whether anyone knows how I can access the hard drive on the 6208 and dump the contents (2 seasons of Six Feet Under) onto a VCR or other storage device? I don't know what Cogeco is doing with all of the working 6208's being traded in but I wd love to get my hands on one for a day or so so I could swap the hard drives and rescue my shows. Comments anyone??

#92 ·
Rockford said:
My question is whether anyone knows how I can access the hard drive on the 6208 and dump the contents onto a VCR or other storage device? I don't know what Cogeco is doing with all of the working 6208's being traded in but I wd love to get my hands on one for a day or so so I could swap the hard drives and rescue my shows. Comments anyone??
We asked Cogeco about this idea several weeks back when our 6208 was acting up. We were offered a replacement unit too. We were also told that the only way to get the shows off of the drive would be to fix the unit and hope that they were not lost in the process - otherwise you're SOL as they had no way to swap dives, etc.

#93 ·
cannon_fodder said:
I've recorded probably 10 movies/shows this week without a hitch. Some were set up for every weekday at the same time, others were movies.
My menu doesn't allow timed weekday recordings, only every day. Are all menus not alike with the 6412? While I'm at it, what does AC Outlet - Switched/Unswitched mean? Can I set a time recording and leave the receiver off if I have the AC Outlet Unswitched? A CSR told me I could not.

#94 ·
waterug said:
While I'm at it, what does AC Outlet - Switched/Unswitched mean?
This refers to the auxhillary AC Outlet at the back of the unit and whether or not it gets power if the unit is powered on or not.

Switched = the auxhillary AC will only have power if the unit is switched on
Unswitched = the auxhillary AC will have power regardless of whether or not the unit it switched on

#99 ·
try this,

Create a 30 second skip using the following directions:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 for 30 second Skip.
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip to.

Next, you create a macro using your new 30 second skip:

1) Press and hold down the "Setup" button until the light blinks twice.
2) Press 995.
3) Press the key you want to assign the X second skip to.
4) Press the button that you have used for the 30 second skip x times. (2 times for 60 seconds, 3 times for 90 seconds, and so on.)
5) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the light blinks twice to exit programming.

X = 30, 60, 90, 180, etc.

You now have an extended Skip button.

#100 ·
FreeBSD said:
I tried it on my 6412 Atlas remote and it does not work. I'm in Burlington.
I'm in Oakville.
It does work... as I can do the 30s skip on my Harmony remote.
So you should be able to program it into the 6412 remote... I have not tried that as I don't use the remote.

#101 ·
biglyle said:
try this,

Create a 30 second skip using the following directions:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 for 30 second Skip.
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip to.

Next, you create a macro using your new 30 second skip:

1) Press and hold down the "Setup" button until the light blinks twice.
2) Press 995.
3) Press the key you want to assign the X second skip to.
4) Press the button that you have used for the 30 second skip x times. (2 times for 60 seconds, 3 times for 90 seconds, and so on.)
5) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the light blinks twice to exit programming.

X = 30, 60, 90, 180, etc.

You now have an extended Skip button.
I can get the Skip to work, but not the Macro. I assigned the 30s skip to the "A" button and tried to make a Macro of 4 and 5 skips but it does nothing. The remote responds as estimated - am I missing a step between 3 and 5?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.